What's new

The Fugitive: Season 4 Vol. 2 (2 Viewers)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by stevelecher

The Blessings Of Liberty, The One That Got Away, and Concrete Evidence are top 15 episodes......of Season 4. Compared to anything from Seasons 1 - 3, they are

b-o-r-i-n-g. You may disagree with me, but my faves from Season 4 are Joshua's Kingdom, The Evil Men Do, Run The Man Down, Passage To Helena, and the much reviled, Second Sight.

Can we all agree that The Sharp Edge of Chivalry and The Savage Streets are both stinkers?

We're each going to have our own likes and dislikes, but I can't disagree with your list at all. I've never been overly fond of the last two you mentioned. Both are quite limited in their appeal, IMHO. "Sharp Edge..." has only one redeeming trait as far as I'm concerned, and that's that it's the first episode of the season to have the Lt. Girard character in it. They don't really DO all that much with it and it's sort of a waste of Barry Morse's talent.

I also enjoy "Second Sight" and don't agree with those that list it among the worst, and I'm on record as really liking "The Ivy Maze", perhaps more for nostalgic reasons than anything else, but I really do think of it as one of the best of the fourth season and maybe the series in general.

Harry

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
The Sharp Edge of Chivalry and The Savage Streets were stinkers. One 4 th season LT Gerard appearance I enjoyed recently was in Nobody Loses All The Time. Gerard asks the local police official (played by Philip Pine) for more men to stake out Kimble at a hospital. When the official initially refuses, Gerard whips out a lighted match,stares off and waits for a proper response. What a bizarre and priceless scene !!!

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Any comments on Dossier on a Diplomat positive or negative? Personally I (like Ed Robinson's book) liked the scenes with Lloyd Gough (The Green Hornet). Kimble's remarks sounds like a man whose "seen it all" at this point in the series.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
"Dossier" is entertaining until the ridiculous escape at the end. But that's Season 4.

"Sharp Edge" brings Gerard on the scene because he reads a report that a woman has been killed by a man with dyed black hair. He says, "That's Kimble's M.O." Really? This is the same man who has not worried about Kimble killing again, up to this point. It just seems like an inconsistancy, and not enough of a clue to make him actually go to that crime scene. Just another problem I have with a 4th Season episode.

Steve L.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched "Death of a Very Small Killer" last night. I thought it was a fairly by-the-numbers episode. I will say that it seems the writers had Kimble get involved with women more in the fourth season than in the other three combined. Looking forward to watching the remaining episodes in the season.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Watched "Death of a Very Small Killer" last night. I thought it was a fairly by-the-numbers episode. I will say that it seems the writers had Kimble get involved with women more in the fourth season than in the other three combined. Looking forward to watching the remaining episodes in the season.

That's certainly true;if Kimble didn't get involved with them,women seemed even more fascinated with him in Season 4.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Well, I'm almost done with watching all 4 seasons of this wonderful show. Had never seen it before in either it's original run or in syndication (I'm 48). I was instantly drawn in with the first episode, and knew I had to get all the DVDs for this wonderful show. Like most of you, I was jarred when I watched the first show of the forth season in color. The show seemed to work so well in B&W. But I guess in 1966, there were to be no more B&W shows being produced, even if they started that way. That being said, after a few very poor beginning episodes in season 4, I felt it really picked up. I just finished "The Shattered Silence", and after seeing it, only wish Barry Morse directed more of The Fugitive's episodes. Wow..that was a powerful episode, and the music employed really pushed the mood along nicely. With only "The Judgment" 2-parter left, I'm sad this wonderful show is almost over. David Jansen gave a brilliant performance, along with a cartload of wonderful guest actors and actresses. I just can't say enough about this series, and am so happy I just stumbled upon it.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Originally Posted by jim_falconer

Well, I'm almost done with watching all 4 seasons of this wonderful show. Had never seen it before in either it's original run or in syndication (I'm 48). I was instantly drawn in with the first episode, and knew I had to get all the DVDs for this wonderful show. Like most of you, I was jarred when I watched the first show of the forth season in color. The show seemed to work so well in B&W. But I guess in 1966, there were to be no more B&W shows being produced, even if they started that way. That being said, after a few very poor beginning episodes in season 4, I felt it really picked up. I just finished "The Shattered Silence", and after seeing it, only wish Barry Morse directed more of The Fugitive's episodes. Wow..that was a powerful episode, and the music employed really pushed the mood along nicely. With only "The Judgment" 2-parter left, I'm sad this wonderful show is almost over. David Jansen gave a brilliant performance, along with a cartload of wonderful guest actors and actresses. I just can't say enough about this series, and am so happy I just stumbled upon it.

Always glad to see someone new watch it.(I'm 45) Enjoy the finale!!

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Well, I put it off as long as possible and finally watched The Judgment Parts 1 & 2 this afternoon (great to do on a 96 degree day) and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Never thought that a "small" Indiana town could have such a huge Amusement Park !

Is this LA park still around today ??

Also watched the Dominic Frontiere extra and from the way he talked, one would think he had created the entire musical score for the series instead of just using already created scores from another TV series for the last season season.

When I think of him, I think of "The Outer Limits" and when we think of "The Fugitive music, it is of course Peter Ruggolo !

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No, that's Pacific Ocean Park which was shut down for good just about the same time that episode was filmed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ocean_Park

The abandoned park had several fires in the early 70s and was totally demolished in 1975.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Thanks for the link Jack and it is sad what happened to the park because I was thinking at the ending scene how nice the park looked and it turns out it was basically shut down.

It was a great place for the climax of a great show !

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the two parts of the finale last night; it was terrific. It looked great on DVD too - clear, crisp images and colors that pop.

What a long journey it was. I felt exhausted for Kimble, and seeing as it took me nearly four years to watch the whole series, I was just about in tune with the original viewers of the show.

I have a few complaints about the ending. For one, the introduction of a previously unseen character (Lloyd) who can confirm Kimble's innocence is kind of the series' deux ex machina. It comes out of nowhere and resolves everything. Are we to believe that he would have let Kimble - a friend of his! - be put to death rather than own up to his own cowardice? It stretches credibility. Also, if Gerard came to believe there was a possibility that Kimble could prove his innocence (thus, the 24 hours to clear his name), why only 24 hours? Was he going to look at his watch and say "Nope, it's been 24 hours, time's up, off to the electric chair" ? Again, strains credibility.

But ultimately, the joy we feel is the end of the long journey, of Kimble finally being declared innocent and set free to resume his life. He went through hell, and we went on a tour through what was often the darker parts of America in the mid-1960s.

I look forward to starting from the beginning in a few years and going straight through again (in less time though! Maybe one year instead of four!)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I always wish that the character of Chandler had been introduced in a previous episode, but supposedly there was a rush job to do the final episode and that it was not something they'd had a whole season to do a planned build-up to. That said, I always understood the plausibility of Chandler's actions (I've forgotten how to do the spoiler feature here).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'm not quite at the ending yet but watched another two-parter last night, the brilliant "Landscape with Running Figures", shows I guess how I'm taking my time with this great show.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Landscape is one of the best episodes of the four seasons. Great writing and great performances. Wonderful!

I wish someone on the show would have asked Chandler if he would have kept quiet and let Kimble be executed. He was supposedly days from execution when the train derailed (He looks at the world for the last time and sees only darkness.) My biggest problem with the show was the idea that Chandler would bail Johnson out of jail, using Len Taft's name. If the authorities did latch onto Johnson as the real killer, did Lloyd think Johnson would expose him as a cowardly witness? Not likely at all. He would have not done a thing and let it play out. It was dumb but it made for a good two hours if you didn't think about it.

Steve L.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
"Landscape" is one of the best scripts ever filmed for The Fugitive, but it is SERIOUSLY hobbled by the way, Way, WAY, over the top performance by Barbara Rush. This two-parter is one of the worst jobs that the very talented Mr. Grauman did with regard to directing his performers.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Originally Posted by ToddR2

"Landscape" is one of the best scripts ever filmed for The Fugitive, but it is SERIOUSLY hobbled by the way, Way, WAY, over the top performance by Barbara Rush. This two-parter is one of the worst jobs that the very talented Mr. Grauman did with regard to directing his performers.

I would counter that with the scene at the darkened bar where Kimble reminisces about meeting his wife and how Mrs Gerard begins to realize who the stranger is.While Ms Rush might have gone over the top later,I thought this scene was subtle and underplayed beautifully.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I thought it was well done and that Ms. Rush is fine. Yeah, she went a little crazy when she realized that Kimble was on to her, but the fact she was near a nervous breakdown is what brought her to this point anyway. Kudos to all for a great episode.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Steve, we certainly have different standards as to what is worthy of kudos, don't we? That's what makes life fun. A little FYI: "The director, Walter Grauman, who is one of my close personal friends, let her (Barbara Rush) cry all the way through the goddamned thing. It just ruined the character. This was not a cry-baby, wimpy woman. And I just felt that her concept, the concept that she and Walter worked out for Gerard's wife, was faulty and bad. I just felt that they really blew it on the character of Mrs. Gerard." - Producer Alan Armer, as quoted in Mel Proctor's The Official Fan's Guide to The Fugitive c.1995 Longmeadow Press. I couldn't agree more w/the late Mr. Armer, but to each his own.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Todd, If she was that tough she wouldn't have been on the bus in the first place. Then, to be blinded, it may have made a strong woman weepy. Many of us think this is a richly layered, well done episode. I do. If I have one criticism, it is Kimble's hanging around to talk to the mororcycle cop at the end of Part II. Why the cop didn't recognize him and then no one thought a thing of him slipping away as more police cars arrived, seemed like a big stretch of credulity. Overall though, I do love this episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks