What's new

The Fugitive: Season 3 Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
John, I salute you for so accurately and astutely conveying my feelings on this issue.

Gary "I agree that CBS/Paramount should view Season 2 as an experiment that failed miserably, and return to the Season 1 template" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
John,

Ditto (or as the 'net guys say... "+1") on your post. Echoing Gary's Those Cagney films are among my favorites in my collection.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Thanks! Cagney is my favorite actor! :)

With the Fugitive, if they have to have replacement music, can't they at least put some money into it and have it sound like its from the period? Can't they mix it seamlessly with the other audio tracks? That jukebox scene from "World's End" is such an embarrassment; that they allowed it to be released like that tells you all you need to know about CBS/Paramount. After that, it's either all original or nothing.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Heyes did the best he could, most likely, but it's always been my contention that there's nothing like the original cues from the era of the time the show was produced. That's the way it was intended to be seen and heard, imo.

It's always been interesting to me to see the (imo) differences in perception with score edits/subs with regards to older TV shows vs movies of the past. Maybe it's just my perception of it but it seems that we look at TV/DVD edits differently than movie edits. To me, it's unacceptable to insert large subs into a TV show's backscore. I understand the legal/clearance issues are "apples/oranges" between the 2 DVD markets but it's a shame that the TV/DVD mkt is either treated differently either by indifference within the decision-makers or out of legal necessity. Be that as it may, we've seen past incidences where studios have made mistakes in using edited or
16mm-Q prints when better mat'l was available to them.

(Cagney favorites of mine: The Roaring Twenties, G-Men)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm never going to defend the presence of Heyes where it still is, but I will only say as before this. When the S2 V1 debacle happened I was among those who said, "At least put this back in....." etc. Imperfect as the final execution of the S2 sets were, I'd feel like a total hypocrite if I maintained a "100% unacceptable" mentality for the replacement sets that I did for the initial S2 V1 set. That's just my take on it.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have ended up trading in all my Fugitive sets as I do not believe that we will receive substantially altered sets. I was ok with Season 2 Volume 1 as Paramount appeared to be trying to correct the problem. When Season 2 Volume 2 ended up at my home, I was appalled at how poorly the set was mixed and the overabundance of clearly out of place music. The season 2 fiasco caused me to just throw in the towel. It appeared as if Paramount had taken a giant step backwards after their "attempt at correction".

As much as I enjoy The Fugitive, I found that I could not take one nearly perfect season and one very poor season. It tainted the memories I have of one of the greatest shows ever transmitted to the public.

I certainly hope that Paramount gives this series the verdict we are all looking for. If the seasons can be released as aired. I would gladly pick up all releases.

Fingers crossed that Season 3 will be better.

Doug

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I actually just ordered Fugitive S2 V1 to take advantage of the mail-in for the re-scored discs before the clock struck midnight. And I don't even have any of S1 yet, just too broke right now.

Fugitive is one of those shows that, yes, there may be a few issues with the second season, but word of mouth on episode quality is just too good for me to ignore it for too long. Besides, the mail in was a pretty motivating factor to jump in now for me.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Fugitive S2 V1 just arrived here this morning and I already have the PDF printing, the POP clipped and taped down, the envelope addressed, the form filled out, all set.

Mail drop on Monday and then we being The Waiting Game.

Best of all, the "bad" copy for Fugitive S2 V1 goes to my mom who isn't going to know the difference and might just enjoy the show.

Now, about S1 and S2 V2...

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Originally Posted by shadyguy /forum/thread/290947/the-fugitive-season-3-volume-1/30#post_3594674

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Man, that was FAST! I sent away for my Season 2 volume 1 replacement set on 8/07, and it arrived today.... 13 days later. I couldn't see any discernible difference between the two sets (except the discs are held differently inside the case), so I popped in a disc to check for myself. Yup, Rugolo's definitely there. :D

Now to get rid of the original edition... eBay, here I come! Hopefully I'll get enough to cover the cost of Season 2 volume 2...

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
jdee, you are so right. There's a scene in a bar in "Man in a Chariot" where the music completely ruined the show for me. It did not fit with the era, and all I could do was think about how lousy it sounded. I'm really hopeful things go back to Season One standards with Season Three.

My greatest fear is the inclusion of any Mark Heyes stuff. It will be a dealbreaker for me and I really don't want that to happen. Although I was somewhat pleased with the S2V1 replacement set, I could not stomach S2V2 whatsoever. It was heartbreaking.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That is surprising, but hey, I'll take it. We should see the series completed by next summer at this rate.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/290947/the-fugitive-season-3-volume-1/60#post_3603722

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
I currently have all of Season 1 and received the replacement discs for Season 2, Vol 1. I haven't picked up the Vol 2 yet. Like some of you, I am waiting to see reviews for the Season 3 set.

FWIW, here's my plan: if Season 3 is another botched set, I'm quitting the series. I'll keep what I have and that's that. However, if it is done right (like Season 1), then I'll hold my nose and pick up Season 2, Vol 2 and continue collecting this series.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Did anyone notice the box cover art for CBS/Paramount's upcoming 50th anniversary release of "Bonanza?" It states, "Finally, the real deal! Full-length episodes with original music." They're making a big point about the series being released on DVD with the original music.

Check out the picture of the box cover here: http://www.amazon.com/Bonanza-Official-First-Season-Vol/dp/B001JAHPMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1253030799&sr=8-1

The same cannot be said about the upcoming release of the third season sets of "The Fugitive." There has been nary a peep about the music, which I believe is a very bad sign of what is to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks