1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Fugitive: Season 3 Volume 1

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Roy Wall, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jquirk

jquirk Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Because 10 percent or 20 percent of replacement music is easier to live with than say 50 percent or 60 percent of replacement music. Sorry for asking.

2. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

All I want to know is whether S3 V1 is about the same as S2 V1-redux as far as music replacement is concerned. (I can stomach the amount of Heyes in set 2-1 but as for 2-2 it probably should be buried under a ton of brimstone.)

3. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    What if it's really 21 percent? Or 48.7%?

I watched a fellow member here skewered to the point of leaving simply because he guesstimated a number on Season Two. His guesstimate didn't sit well with some other members and he was essentially driven off the board.

Why would anyone want to put themselves in a similar situation?
    Harry

4. jquirk

jquirk Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I was visiting these boards since the time the Season Two replacement sets were announced and I don't remember anybody getting driven away. The only thing I do remember is that somebody with access to the information on the replacement set opted not to provide everything he knew about it, preferring to allow people to find it out for themselves.

5. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:Originally Posted by Harry-N

P.S. I do agree with you, in general, that trying to put a percentage on how much replacement music is in this set is somewhat of a losing proposition. I think Michael has asked the right question above about the general tone of the volume. Is it like Season 2, V1 or Season 2, V2? The consensus amongst many fans here was that the first volume was acceptable but the second was not. But of course that's relative as well.

6. stevelecher

stevelecher Supporting Actor

steve
    Why talk about percentages anyway. There have been several very good articles and posts that have reviewed this set with great detail. There are nine episodes with no (zero, nada) music changes. There are a couple that only have changes to music on the radio or in the restaurant and it is no problem. There are two troubling episodes, "Wings Of An Angel" and "Conspiracy of Silence," that have more replacement than they should and to a lessor extent, there are a few changes in "Set Fire To A Straw Man (not my favorite episode.")

IMO, as regards the music issue, this set is better than S2V1 (replacement) and much better than S2V2. It is great watching episode after episode in great quality, with the music (in 12 of 15) almost completely intact. I watched four episodes on Saturday with extreme pleasure with the presentation of the episodes.

The percentages are high enough to warrant a purchase. Enjoy....

Steve Lecher

Steve Lecher

7. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks Steve. I think that info will satisfy just about all of us here!

Gary "I'll be buying this set as soon as a decent sale pops up - hopefully within the next couple of weeks" O.

8. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Gary,

I agree. I thought I read some meaning there as well. I can only speak for myself but it has always appeared to me that there have been 2 distinct "camps" regarding the Fugitive CBS sets containing the Heyes sub'ed music. I have seen, my take on it, passionate posts from both camps on the issue since it made news. There have been several posters that, imo, have gone beyond the line in posting their opinions on the subject. Perhaps I have been one of those in the past, and if that was percieved by some on the Bd, I apologize for that.

I've been on record as being unsatisfied with the CBS sets but have admitted on several posts that I felt CSB deserved recognition for re-releasing S2V1 with partially-restored (Rugolo restored) backscore content.

At the same time, I have also posted several times about being happy to see the CBS releases continue for those that prefer the altered-score studio sets. I hope that they continue to generate good sales #'s for CBS and that seems to be the case here since CBS has completed the remastering work for the series, iirc.

That, however, has not seemed to satisfy some members here that have ignored my attempts to extend a friendly post to them. That's ok, I'll live with it :) But I find it interesting that some here don't seem to be able to forget the past and drop certain things that have occurred back when the Fugitive threads were going full blast with numerous passionate posts from several members. Thankfully, it has seemed to me to have settled down considerably from those days.

Interestingly, I extended several "olive branches" with friendly posts to the guy that (I think) Harry's referring to, to try and re-establish a friendly exchange of posts with the guy, and received no response. That's ok, since as we all know, we can't control how others may perceive us, so I moved on. But I wish the guy the best and, on my part, there's no ill will on my side of things. Having said that, I wasn't the reciepent of unacceptable PM's from someone either. As the old saying goes, there's usually 2 sides to an issue.

One thing I've noticed, and it may be my mistake in perception about it, but I noticed that some of the pro-CBS-release guys seemed to resent it that some here chose not to buy the CBS sets with the modified backscore. That seems to be a moot issue to me since it appears that CBS will complete the series release and they will get what they wanted after it is all said and done.

As it will probably play out, I will also own the complete studio set but I have elected to get the CBS sets from Santa and birthdays.

9. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Well said, Jeff. Very, very well said. When multiple olive branches are extended in threads and via PMs and rejected (and it sounds like both of us did that) then I have no time for comments about pushing someone out the door.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.

10. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.

My apologies Gary. I shouldn't have said what I did in my above post. I was just a bit irked that the question of percentages kept being pressed, and in a cranky mood (with a bad cold) I probably should have stayed off the computer! Not being involved in the referenced fracus, I should have steered clear on commenting on it. (But it goes to point out how things can be mis-interpreted by casual observers on message boards.)

I also felt there were enough honest appraisals of all of the episodes on this volume in this very thread that guesstimates of percentages just weren't necessary.
    I'm enjoying the Season Three, Volume 1 set and hope that everyone else has the same capacity to do so. I know some have difficulty in even the slightest alterations - I'm not one of those and can deal very nicely with modest amounts of music substitutions as long as the main flavor of the Rugolo and CBS library cues are there.

Harry

11. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Harry,

Hope the cold clears up! Remedy: pop in a "Time Tunnel"...you can't go wrong

12. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Thanks Jeff

Better sleeping remedy: pop in a TIME TUNNEL and put the soundtrack on Spanish or French! :)

13. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks Harry. Honestly, the situation and person in question was difficult for me because I was personally pulled in and things were thought and said privately about me that were just not true. And since I was told this person had privately talked to others here I never knew if you were involved or not, but after your earlier post I thought maybe you had been and I felt like I needed to clear the air. I'm glad that wasn't the case and my apologies to you for thinking otherwise.

Hope you feel better, and thanks for the clarification!

Gary "watch some more Fugitive and other neat stuff while you recoup, Harry" O.

14. stevelecher

steve
    You can watch "Landscapes With Running Figures" on Youtube in 10-11 minute intervals and after the epilogue of Part 1, David Janssen comes on to say, you've just watched Part 1 and here are some previews of next weeks exciting conclusion. Have you guys seen this and why didn't it get used on this box set? Where did this come from? Maybe it was from a previous videotape or videodisc release?

Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Steve Lecher

15. stevelecher

steve
    You can watch "Landscapes With Running Figures" on Youtube in 10-11 minute intervals and after the epilogue of Part 1, David Janssen comes on to say, you've just watched Part 1 and here are some previews of next weeks exciting conclusion. Have you guys seen this and why didn't it get used on this box set? Where did this come from? Maybe it was from a previous videotape or videodisc release?

Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Steve Lecher

16. stevelecher

steve
    You can watch "Landscapes With Running Figures" on Youtube in 10-11 minute increments. At the end of Part one's epilogue, David Janssen comes on and says you've watched part one of Landscape and here are some previews of next week's exciting conclusion.

Where did this come from? A previous video release? Why didn't they use it on the current set? If you haven't seen it, I thought I would tell you about it.

Steve Lecher

17. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    It was an original ABC network promo, and the source for the youtube video is the NuVentures Video release of "Landscape..." Those VHS tapes (and LaserDiscs) also featured Barry Morse's introduction to each episode that they released. Rumors are however that NuVentures ran into financial difficulties and never paid Mr. Morse for his time.

Harry

18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:
    I missed this reasonable request by Point-Blank the first time it was made, but would like to add my request for this info as well. If we could get one of the regulars here to just line up the episodes into two groups, starting with the Season 2, Volume 1 replacement discs:

Those episodes with no replacement music.

Those with some replacement music.

If that could be done I'd greatly appreciate it. The only thing I can remember for sure is that "Dark Corner", from Season 2, V.1 was not molested at all by replacement music. While "Escape into Black", also from Season 2, V. 1 did have replacement music.

If anyone could supply a simple list of episodes that would be great. It wouldn't have to be every instance in the episode. Not at all. Just a listing of those that were not touched by Heyes versus those that were. I'd be eternally grateful for such a list, just as Point Blank would be.

Gary "thanks for any help ahead of time" O.

19. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    I had a chance to look at this set recently. It seems as if the picture quality has slightly dropped. Also, are these DVDs interlaced?

20. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Thanks for the additional support in requesting this information, Gary O. Though I understand it's a bit of a effort, I wish some learned poster here or elsewhere online could establish a master list of both untouched and re-touched episodes.

I also agree with Gary about the situation that existed not so long ago regarding THE FUGITIVE and percentages and the erroneous assumption that anyone was intimidated, embarrassed or in any way pressured and/or driven away from expressing their perspective. All was not as it appeared at the time and any choices to avoid making further contributions were strictly self-imposed ones.

As for being driven off these forums, I keep trying to drive myself off, but Gary O and Jeff Willis keep picking me up and driving me back.