What's new

The Fugitive: Season 3 Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
on a completely different point - someone mentioned being disappointed that girard never talked about kimble in regard to his son or wife.

there is a definite reason for this. the character of girard is someone who is blindly going about his business of catching the guy that "he let get away".

if the show has him talk about his son, his wife, or the several times that he himself was helped by kimble - there would be no real way to keep up that relentless, non-doubting character.

if i recall, girard does start to soften up some, at the end.

but most of the time when he talks about kimble, it is only in regard to catching him. many times he says that kimble would not kill anyone else, cuz he has never tried before, even when cornered. but it is always in a vein in whether something is true or not, and whether it will help him to catch kimble or not.

even in the episode about the computer, when it comes up with 2% likelihood of kimble killing his wife, girard says something like "2% is enough for me". LOL.

i would like to have seen recurring roles. the nun that was turning from god was on a second episode. but not many.

in fact, many actors played multiple roles during the 4 years. for example, kurt russell played girard's son, and then was the leader of the kids that tried to capture him with a gun that they had bought, but ended up wounding one of the kids.

there was an interview with barry morse on youtube, explaining that the directors of the show would recast actors that they liked, wanting to work with what they thought were excellent actors.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Jimmyjet:

DVP and I are on the same page and your perceptions make no sense. The will o' the wisp could mean a million things to different people and Kimble has no reason to think that referred to him. If she had asked what Kimble's wife's name was, he would have lied so she boldly mentioned it to get his reaction and in his state he assumed he slipped up and then he admitted that was her name, confirming Marie's conclusion. It's obvious that, from here, she becomes desperate to keep him with her and is pressing too much but that he doesn't know who she is until he talks to Gerard on the phone. There are no errors with this viewpoint and it is brilliantly written and executed by the performers.

Yes, I was nearly 11 on October, 1963 when I saw the Fugitive for the first time (Never Wave Goodbye - Part 2.) I was hooked immediately and had to do a lot of fast talking to stay up to watch it on successive Tuesdays thereafter. These values, especially religious ones like Angels Travel On Lonely Roads, are hard to find in entertainment today. They must not be totally gone though, as young people seem to keep finding and falling in love with this show.

SteveL

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
of course it did. just look at kimble jump. the guy who got away. he did it again today. he is in all the papers. you must have read about him.

kimble knows how obsessed girard is with his capture.

are you kidding ? the average joe would have had high cause to suspect that marie knew who he was. and kimble himself is much smarter than the average person. certainly he would have had enough caution not to go on blindly about the joke of the town.

and again, i persist - marie already had a high degree of certainty that she was with kimble at that time. no way would she have wanted to give kimble the clue that she knew that. if she had wanted to confirm, she would have done so in a way that was completely safe for her.

there was nothing for her to gain by 100% confirmation. she had everything to lose, possibly. kimble already said he would stay with her. if she gave him no reason to run, he had given her every confirmation that he would stay with her. so her best plan of action was simply to let him take care of her until the ambulance/police came. when they did come, would be her time to tell them about kimble. either he would be or he wouldnt be kimble. but by not raising his suspicion, she stood the only chance that she had - that of keeping him there until the authorities arrived.

she wanted kimble there, desperately. not only so that the police could catch him, and she would have her life back with her husband, but also because she was scared about being blind. she had been very clingy long before she found out that she was with kimble.

and if kimble found out it was girard's wife, marie would have been faced with the very distinct possibility (at least in her mind, since she does not know how good-hearted kimble is) that kimble would do the very thing that she was most scared about - leave her.

as i said, her best plan of action, and the one that most people would have taken, is to say nothing more, continue on with keeping him there because she was scared - and then tell on him when the others arrived.

we will just have to agree to disagree.

i see you are only a year or 2 younger than me - so you certainly grew up with the morality that i was speaking about.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Marie Gerard had no clue that she was with Kimble when their chat begins in the restaurant/bar in the "Landscape" episode.

It's only after she starts talking to him (after they sit down) that she even begins to suspect that the man across the table from her might be Dr. Richard Kimble.

And this "suspicion" really only firmly takes hold after Kimble's "1-and-a-half" remark concerning the Stafford, Indiana, newspapers. And then when Kimble mentions the actual name of the newspaper -- the "Call-Dispatch" -- Marie is then fairly certain she's talking to Kimble (and rightly so, since it's unlikely that there's another smalltown newspaper with the name "Call-Dispatch" other than the one that is published in Stafford, Indiana).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Just a thought, but maybe a new thread should be started discussing the storyline of the Fugitive (e.g., Fugitive the plot (spoilers included). I think most are familiar with this thread as the place to go to discuss the quality and music replacement issues surrounding the Fugitve releases. Of late it has been discussing the storyline iteslf about what makes sense and what didn't with no spoiler tags. As one who has never seen the Fugitive before I have been staying way other then to take quick glances to see if any new issues have poped up before buying, while attempting to skip over aspect talking about plot. I assume there maybe others in the same boat.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb

Just a thought, but maybe a new thread should be started discussing the storyline of the Fugitive (e.g., Fugitive the plot (spoilers included). I think most are familiar with this thread as the place to go to discuss the quality and music replacement issues surrounding the Fugitve releases. Of late it has been discussing the storyline iteslf about what makes sense and what didn't with no spoiler tags. As one who has never seen the Fugitive before I have been staying way other then to take quick glances to see if any new issues have poped up before buying, while attempting to skip over aspect talking about plot. I assume there maybe others in the same boat.
Brad,

Same here. I'm seeing the show for the first time on DVD so I skim over the recent posts for any tech info on the DVD release. But I understand the poster's fun and discussion in the srorylines. Unfortunately, I know how the show ends because I read that Barry Morse obituary last year and it gave away something about the ending that I hadn't known.

Another thread is a good idea. Gets my vote.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi dvp,

my take, exactly.

hey fugitive-newbies,

okay, i will quit talking about the story line - dont want to spoil the surprises. have fun watching.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Sorry about spoiler alerts or discussions in the wrong threads. Like I said above, I'm new to posting here. It amazes me that anyone reading this thread would be new to The Fugitive and yet I commented on the fact that new people are discovering this show, even today. To anyone seeing "Landscape" for the first time, enjoy.

Jimmy, yes...I agree to disagree.

SteveL

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy, Steve,

Hey, no problem on "spoilers" :) I'm one of the VERY few in my generation ('Boomer) that somehow missed this one over the years. I was a little young for this one when it originally aired and missed it in syndication over the years. As mentioned, I know the big surprise at the end of the show in S4 so the other discussions about the show aren't too much of a problem for me here.

I will say that it's a real blast getting able to watch this great show for the 1st time on DVD's. No commercials, etc. Fantastic! I owe my friend Gary for this one. He plugged me into this show back when S1V1 was released.

That said, I do like Brad's idea of maybe another "storyline" thread on the Bd. That would be good for this show since we know here that the interest would easily support a storyline thread for this show.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
well, i did start a story-line thread, if anyone wants to post. it is a great show - hope those that havent seen it yet, enjoy.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Back to the technical part of the discussion, did anyone notice the shortened, edited closing theme on "Trial By Fire"? I watched that one this morning and was jolted when I heard the odd edit of the music.

A theory on what happened there: the network, ABC, must have needed an extra 10 seconds for some kind of extra promo, PSA, or other element and requested a shortened credits sequence for that particular episode. It's exactly 10 seconds shorter than normal.

Another oddity in that episode is the mid-episode narration from William Conrad. That didn't happen too often.

Harry

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Harry-N

Back to the technical part of the discussion, did anyone notice the shortened, edited closing theme on "Trial By Fire"? I watched that one this morning and was jolted when I heard the odd edit of the music.

A theory on what happened there: the network, ABC, must have needed an extra 10 seconds for some kind of extra promo, PSA, or other element and requested a shortened credits sequence for that particular episode. It's exactly 10 seconds shorter than normal.

Harry
It's also possible that the episode content was 10 seconds longer than usual and they decided to shorten the credits rather than the show itself. If you've watched episodes of "Naked City" or "Route 66" the length of the end credits of those shows are all over the place. Although usually a minute in length there's at least one "Naked City" episode where the end credits run almost 3 minutes.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Gary16

It's also possible that the episode content was 10 seconds longer than usual and they decided to shorten the credits rather than the show itself. If you've watched episodes of "Naked City" or "Route 66" the length of the end credits of those shows are all over the place. Although usually a minute in length there's at least one "Naked City" episode where the end credits run almost 3 minutes.

Nope. The credits start at exactly 50:27 on all of the episodes on Disc One, and the music is always consistent throughout the run of THE FUGITIVE. The episodes all run to 51:27, except "Trial By Fire" which concludes at 51:17, exactly 10 seconds short.

It has to be a special request to QM by ABC for 10 seconds less to accomodate some kind of promo, or something like that. The episode aired on 10/5/65, so it wasn't election coverage or anything like that. To have the program producer shorten it upfront had to require it to be a known event, not a new flash or anything like that.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Hey - this set could have been subtitled "Richard Kimble Meets The Cast Of Star Trek"!

In these fifteen episodes alone, we have him meeting up with James Doohan in "Middle Of A Heat Wave", DeForest Kelley in "Three Cheers For Little Boy Blue", and Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner in "Stranger In The Mirror" - all major cast members of STAR TREK.

Meanwhile, elswhere in the parade of guest stars we find Laurence Montaigne (Decius, Stonn), Meg Wyllie (head Talosian), Malachi Throne (Commodore Mendez), with a host of others that had small roles in STAR TREK.

Harry

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm about halfway through this set, and I find myself realizing that I'm probably listening to a Heyes cue, but it fits the action. In other words, Heyes has come up with some decent cues. The music editing is also much better than in Season 2 (especially volume 2) -- I haven't been blasted yet, which is why those Heyes cues have been sneaking up on me. I'd still rather have the originals, but if we're going to have Heyes, at least he's being spotted much better.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
...Malachi Throne (Commodore Mendez), with a host of others that had small roles in STAR TREK.
Malachi's a favorite of mine. In his roles he tends to come off as being pugnacious and a bit gruff which can be refreshing.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Rick, if you were to guesstimate, what percentage of the music is original compared to replacement?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by jquirk

Rick, if you were to guesstimate, what percentage of the music is original compared to replacement?
Not gonna do it. Don't care.

I care if it feels like the "Fugitive" I remember, and that any new music cues don't disrupt it.

It does and (so far) they don't.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I just finished watching "Three Cheers for Little Boy Blue" and really enjoying the show again !!
Great episode for a great show !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks