The Fugitive: Season 3 Volume 1

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Roy Wall, Jul 27, 2009.

1. buford2

buford2 Stunt Coordinator

I dont think you can ruin anything by watching the episodes out of order. In season 1 volume 1 there was mention of time frames, but some of these episodes were not shown in the order they were filmed, so 1 episode will say "Now 10 months a fugitive" and an episode following will say "It has been 8 months since the escape". I'm parapharasing, these may not be the actual words.

You may not even notice the music changes since you are not familiar with the series. It may not be a problem for you. I have been a fan since it was originally broadcast, so I found the music alterations hard to stomach.

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Brad,

As a first-time viewer on DVD of this show, this might help your decision on viewing the show. You don't miss anything by jumping ahead with the episodes. The only thing you don't want to do is jump ahead to the end of the last season when that one is released.

3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Dave and Jeff are correct, Brad. The shows were not filmed in any type of truly episodic format where one built upon another. I would suggest you just buy Season 1 (which was not really tampered with at all - other than a jukebox or radio backscore here and there) and watch that one. I would say go ahead and watch that season basically in order, but even then it's not critical. Just make sure you watch the first episode first because that one does serve as a great opening to the entire series. Then you could conceivably jump right ahead to "The Girl from Little Egypt" which I think was episode #14, because it is a flashback episode that tells and shows you the entire story of why Kimble is on the run. Other than that, you could skip around a bit in that first season and then pretty much do the same afterwards. But definitely buy the 1st Season first and watch that one. I think you'll fall in love with the show like many of us have.

Gary "have I mentioned before that The Fugitive is my favorite show of all time?" O.

4. buford2

Originally Posted by Gary OS

5. gruagach

gruagach Stunt Coordinator

Henry
    - JackP

Thanks for your reports from the front. They've been really helpful.

Hopefully, your Fugitive full immersion, won't have you running out the back door every time some knocks on your front door.

6. jquirk

jquirk Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Phillies in five!!

7. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

8. buford2

There is no Heyes in season 1.

9. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

For the Heyes I'm referring to the replacement Season 2 set. From what everyone has said it would seem I could jump to a season 2 episode once I get the initial premise without spoiling anything.

I know this isn't quite the same as the worst Heyes episode in season 2 volume 2 but it is the only Heyes I have at this point.

10. phil*

phil* Second Unit

Just a thought...what if CBS plans on releasing all 4 seasons of The Fugitive in blu-ray at some later date in a completely untouched original format...i.e. no music substitutions whatsoever? If so, how many of us who purchased the original dvds would spring for this new set? If the vast majority of us do...lured by the incentive of a much better picture and ALL original music left intact...wouldn't THAT make the current music substitution fiasco on these standard dvds a brilliant marketing strategy on CBS' part in retrospect?

11. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I don't see it happening. Blu-ray, though wonderful, isn't the revolutionary format like DVD was back in 1997, so I doubt we'll see all our favourite TV shows that have been released on DVD find a home on blu-ray as well. Certainly shows like Star Trek have been successful on the format, but not many studios seem interested in releasing vintage shows on BD--the only other 60s show on BD that I can recall is The Prisoner (and I'm still waiting for my set to arrive). Of course I would love an unaltered set of The Fugitive on BD--BW film looks gorgeous in HD--but I don't think it's realistic. We'll likely see BD releases of The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits before CBS returned to The Fugitive.

As for S4, if the music substitution seems light, as it's been reported so far here for S3 V1, sales of the S3 sets should warrant DVD releases of S4 next year. The fact that CBS has finished transferring the series to HD and that S3 V2 is being released in December bodes well for a completion in 2010.

12. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    And thank you, Jack for your earnest reports while watching S3 V1. I was holding off buying the set until there was enough confirmation that music substitution wasn't too bad. I picked up my set last night! Looking forward to "Landscapes with Running Figures" again!

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't see it happening either (or at least, not for many years to come). It took more than a decade for The Fugitive to come to DVD and while I love Blu-ray, it won't/can't have the success that DVD had so the odds of smaller classic shows coming any time seems very unlikely. Even if it does, Paramount certainly isn't involved in a conspiracy to 'force' people to rebuy the show on Blu-ray by having the original music on it. If they were actually planning on doing something like that, they would have done it on a much bigger show so they could have made alot more money.

Also, a big thumbs up to Jack for taking the time to note all the music changes. Thanks, Jack!

14. shadyguy

shadyguy Stunt Coordinator

I am setting here watching season 2 of "The Invaders" and was wondering how you can notice the cues from this show when it is on "The Fugitive" ??

15. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The reference to "The Invaders" when it comes to "Fugitive" music refers to the score originally composed for the "Twilight Zone" episode "The Invaders" and not the later QM show.

16. shadyguy

shadyguy Stunt Coordinator

ahhhhhh, now that makes much more sense !
    Always wondered how people referenced music from a show that had not even aired yet !

How are you doing on the last 4 episodes ?

17. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Haven't watched them yet.

18. Clugul

Clugul Agent

Joyce
    We'll let Jack watch the baseball game (go Yankees! -- I grew up in da Bronx), but when he gets a chance sometime, he might be interested in comments just posted on Yahoo's group, "The Fugitive Views and Reviews" by Robert Dahl (Robert, if you're also following this HTF discussion, I hope you don't mind my posting your comments about the music cues):

19. Jack P

Jack P Producer

His assessment of "Set Fire To A Straw Man" matches mine because it sounded like Heyes turning into original in midstream but because the cue was so seamless and ended with the Girard cue that was where I got confused. And I also was concurring on "Conspiracy Of Silence" where I felt it was potentially as much as seven minutes of Heyes music. "Landscape" is where my ear disagrees with him, and on "Trial" only once did I think I heard something that sounded like Heyes in that blasty moment in Act IV when the bus pulls out.

We're also in agreement on "Wings Of An Angel". That is the one episode where Heyes is very evident.

20. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Ugh, so are we now back to this set being more like S2, V2? Starting to sound like it based on who we listen to. Darn it. Just went I was beginning to think we got it right for once!

Gary "now I have no idea what to think or what to do" O.