What's new

The Fugitive: Season 3 Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Gary...it has seemed to be a case of drawing straws in the control room. If only the studio had reached out to the local resources in LA. All of this probably would have never happened. Maybe one music editor went out for coffee while the other one inserted Hayes cues. Sad.... Ironic that it had to happen to perhaps the best drama aired on TV. I've started into S3 and there's no dropoff in script content or acting at all. Just watched "Trial By Fire". Awesome episode.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've jumped ahead to the most important episode in the set for me, "Landscape With Running Figures", and so far I'm not hearing any replacement in Pt.1 (well into Act III now).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The radio music being played at the beginning of Pt. 2 when Kimble is stopped by the young thugs has been replaced. That was to be expected in any scenario. The second piece of music, some song that is heard when the girl switches on the radio in front of Mrs. Gerard is also different. The important thing is the volume level fits naturally with the scene and isn't disruptive at all. If I didn't have the original for side-by-side, I wouldn't have noticed.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And the jukebox music when the power comes back on at the end of Act III is replaced but apart from that, everything is just fine in Pt. 2. Not a note of Heyes to be heard.

I don't want to get overly optimistic, but it would be funny as hell if the first episode in the set was the ONLY one to have any replacement music.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Jack! Feel free to keep going as much as you are able. Many of us had planned on waiting for this type of detailed analysis before purchasing. What you are doing is of much value to guys like me.

Gary "boy, it would be nice if most of the episodes didn't have any replacement music" O.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Originally Posted by Jack P

And the jukebox music when the power comes back on at the end of Act III is replaced but apart from that, everything is just fine in Pt. 2. Not a note of Heyes to be heard.

I don't want to get overly optimistic, but it would be funny as hell if the first episode in the set was the ONLY one to have any replacement music.
Funny as hell? I dunno. I'd definitely be breathing a sigh of relief, and I'd definitely be smiling. But laughing? I dunno, Jack. ;)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It'd be funny to me, because for the last two days there has been more of a gloomy aura about this set based on the audio clips of act openings from that first episode posted on-line which were clearly Heyes replacement cues. I think we were beginning to think this was going to be on the order of heavy volume of replacement all around because of that.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Crack In A Crystal Ball"-Zero Heyes. Probably a replaced jukebox cue when Kimble first meets Joanna Moore in the restaurant but again, nothing intrusive.

That's four of five episodes confirmed left alone in this set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Trial By Fire"- There's only one short cue I'm not sure of, and that's at the point when after Charles Aidman realizes he needs to stop Kimble from turning himself in, we get a blasting fanfare over the shot of the bus pulling out that seemed kind of Heyesish but maybe I'm overreacting to that one. The experts who have the original should check that one. Apart from that, I didn't hear anything that sounded like replacement music throughout the whole episode. But I have to admit, in light of the mounting signs of no replacement music elsewhere I'm more inclined to chalk that one up to my imagination.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Good job Jack, I'll repeat what Jeff and Gary have already stated by expressing my thanks in your going through the episodes like this giving us a detailed analysis on this new set. We are getting much closer to being able to say that CBS at least went back to the season 2 replacement disk approach.

Which also adds more credibility to what some have suggested in that the majority of season 2 volume 2 may have already been done before they did the season 2 volume 1 replacements. Thus, making it appear to be a step backwards and leading up to all the confusion about how this set may come out.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

Thanks for the music info. I'll check my original set and the cue in "Trial By Fire" sometime today and post the info, Unfortunately, I can't do an A/B comparison since I don't have the CBS set yet but I'll listen to that scene and let you know if it sounds like it fits with the rest of the original score in the episode.

Brad, I think you're right about the theory about the production (DVD) order in the S2 CBS sets. It sounds like the S2V2 set was mfg'd before V1.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Or it could just be that the guy who was good about leaving most of the original music in was sick the week CBS worked on S2, V2 and only the goofy guy worked on that set. LOL. Who knows...

I'll pull out "Trial By Fire" later today and listen to that scene and see if it sounds "loud" with the original music too (just like Jeff). Maybe between a few of us we can give Jack enough info so that we can come to a conclusion about the scene in question. That's such a great episode it would be nice if it was untouched by Heyes.

Gary "boy what a crazy ride we've had over the last several days concerning this set" O.

buford2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
If the majority of these episodes are untampered with, I might spring for this set. Keep those critiques coming!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There's a one minute cue at the ten minute mark of "Conspiracy Of Silence" that I'm not sure of. It starts when we see Kimble rearranging the pool furniture and then notices a station wagon. At first glance it didn't sound out of the ordinary but the closer I listened I had to wonder if there was a slight "snyth" sound to it that would be indicative of a replacement cue. If it is a replacement cue, give them credit for dialing it in to a more acceptable sound level than was the case in S2 but I honestly wouldn't want to commit 100% to it being a replacement cue just like I can't with that one moment in "Trial By Fire" (not being a true expert on these episodes).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sounds Heyesish at the moment when that test thing explodes and Kimble makes his break (22 minute mark).

As it continues my feelings on whether its Heyes or not keep changing. First I get convinced its Heyes and then just when I think maybe not, as Kimble goes off in the desert it starts to sound more and more like that loud Heyes stuff for chase scenes but dialed down a little bit more. I think tentatively I would have to call this sequence *likely* replacement stretching out for five minutes.

Whatever this cue is, it continues into early Act III which I guess lends more credence to it being dialed down Heyes but the experts have to weigh in on this to confirm it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jack, the moment in "Trial by Fire" that you think might be Heyes-like is kinda strong in the original. It has trumpet blasts and and "boom boom" bass sound.

Gary "don't know if that helps at all or not" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Thanks Gary, that does help. I'm getting too overly conditioned to expect a blast sound to be Heyes, so I think I'm more willing to say "Trial By Fire" is probably okay based on that.

"Conspiracy Of Silence" is leaving me perplexed for these sequences that have a replacementish sound to them. There are normal Rugolo cues in it, so it's either a mixture or it's okay and I'm just letting my imagination run wild.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Some loud Heyes "chase" stuff in Act IV that I know I have complained about in the past for one brief bit. I think I'm prepared to say this one is a mixture but not quite as high as "Wings Of An Angel" was. This is at least 80-85% intact in a worst-case scenario since if I'm right in all cases where I *think* it could be replacement, it would be 7 minutes tops of the 51 overall for about three cues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks