What's new

THE FUGITIVE - Season 2 Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Yes, and personally, I think nothing should be said or done until (if) Season 3 is released. I maintain that S2V2 are the replacement discs, so no amount of b*tching and moaning is going to do any good. Most likely, Season 3 will be no worse than the semi-restored music in Season 2...and possibly (hopefully) even better. :cool:

BTW, I was an avid listener of the CBS Radio Mystery Theater in the mid-1970s. So when that show's famous tympani/cello introduction is frequently heard in The Fugitive, it's quite a distraction for me (ex: Nemesis). More so than the TZ cues. ;)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Actually that CBS Radio Mystery Theater intro was taken from a TZ score ("Two").

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I've finished all the episodes in S2V2, and for the most part I'm satisfied that it does feel like the show I know. The replaced carousel music in "Brass Ring" didn't bother me very much, though I'll readily agree that a better job could have been done on it. "Moon Child" was over the top, though. My remaining complaints have to do with the chase music, where whoever serves as music editor set the volume way too high. I'm not going to rail at Heyes, though. Toned down, the chase music would probably have worked, and there were some Heyes cues (brought in at the right levels) that worked well. A couple of times I found myself really liking a cue and then realizing it was Heyes!

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I learn something new every day. Thanks for the heads-up Jack. :emoji_thumbsup:

CBS sure got excellent mileage out of this music! ;)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen

This is the funniest, albeit sadly ironic, line in this entire thread. I'm not sure you aren't right, LOL. It would explain a lot, wouldn't it?;)

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim

Harry, I believe there is a Capitol cue in the S1V2 episode "Where the Action Is," in the scene at the pool where Kimble and Telly Savalas' daughter are playing around a bit. It's standard music I do not believe is part of the CBS library. Don't take this for Gospel, however, because I'm uncertain.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I decided to give "Moon Child" a second viewing after checking with the Janssen Archive site which lists no fewer than six TZ scores as appearing in this episode and to also see if I might have exaggerated the level of replacement music that's in the episode. Well, on second viewing I can say that maybe I did paint too negative a picture of this episode by a little owing to the fact that when Heyes does pop in it is so distracting in volume and with the obviousness of too modern synths that it clashes with what we're seeing on screen. The high volume of Heyes is at the 11 minute mark in the first chase sequence and then for three solid miniutes from 20 to 23 minutes in the episode. Then when Joanne is fixing a sandwich we get a quiet Heyes that sounds like a knockoff on the Rugolo theme and the climactic Act IV chase is also all Heyes. This adds up to about 8 minutes or so of replacement music in a 51 minute episode that altogether still has most of its original music intact since I did hear five of the six TZ scores listed at the Janssen archive for this episode still there (the one exception was "King Nine Will Not Return" but maybe that is present and I didn't notice). So if in fairness I were giving a percentage total on this episode of replacement music we'd be talking about 20% tops. And there are many stretches of this episode of dialogue with no underscore so I think overall on the second viewing, I found the episode more watchable than I did the first time.

Now here's one bit of silliness though I did pick up on the second time. The teaser sequence for this episode features a scene at the 20 minute mark when the truck of vigilantes and the sherriff pulls up outside the abandoned factory and in the episode this is where we get Heyes blasting replacement stuff kicking in for the second time for almost three uninterrupted minutes. But the teaser clearly features the ORIGINAL cue that was replaced in the episode! So that means while I do feel compelled to say I may have exaggerated the level of how much replacement music is in the episode, I did notice another thing that shows how the restoration work on this was done in a haphazard fashion and this validates what others who have the original versions at their disposal have commented on regarding how some cues that were replaced in some episodes were left alone in others.

Bottom line, it is a testament to the strength of the show that even with these oddities, the episodes with this 70-80% restoration job still manage to come off as well as they do.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Well, see (and no offense to jquirk here), we have a few "I believe's" and "Don't take it for Gospel", and "I'm uncertain". Also, there's no citation of the original source of the music - where was it used before?

If this Capitol Music Library is the source of our consternation - and that's the only semi-official word we've heard on the subject that spells out any details - then it would seem that we would greatly benefit from having at least one "expert" in that matter. But it may be that all of the Capitol Music Library "experts" in the world are neither Fuge fans nor members here.

Perhaps this also points a bit to the difficulty that CBS/Paramount has in identifying, for sure, those very cues. They're in a situation where they apparently cannot take chances (or so their lawyers tell them). I'm not defending them here, just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate.

As for "Moonchild", which has become the current poster child for all of the Heyes-ills of the world, I haven't watched it yet on the new set. But I have watched some of the others that were the poster-children of the moment, and have found them to not be so terrible after all. Yes there are some too-loud Heyes "blasts" that can be distracting if you're looking for them, and some odd choices for replacement when in the same episode the cue that was replaced is heard unharmed.

As for teaser music, if I'm not mistaken, those portions of the show, though ripped from later in the episode, were often scored seperately - sometimes to underscore a dramatic point that would lead to the opening credits' drum roll.

Harry
...tying up a few loose thread points, online...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Most of the time, the teaser would in fact feature the same score you'd hear when the scene comes up in the episode. And I'm reasonably sure there's at least one instance where a teaser already features Heyes music so that's why I think it is reasonable to presume that in this case, we're hearing the original cue.

I will note that I did not recognize this cue as coming from a particular TZ episode.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The CBS Syndication Bible has just updated its entry for "The Fugitive" to indicate that the S3 HD transfer work has been finished (it says "in progress" but also says that episodes 1-90 have been transferred which means the work is done). So, one would have to presume that at this point whatever they're planning to do with the music for S3 has already been done.

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
I have seen where a few people here still haven't recieved their Season 2 Voulme 1 replacement yet. I was going through some stuff today and found the envelope mine came in. It has a contact name and number, at least I think it is a number. It is Jackie Morales and the number is 661-702-5000

Hope this helps. Please post if it does!

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I just got my replacements in the mail today and got S2V2 last weekend.

Have not watched any of either, so I have a lot of catching up to do.....boy life is rough. ;)
Also have most of Perry Mason Season 3 to watch and all of Hawaii Five-O season 2 !!

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
A question for Fugitive gurus !

I thought the opening scenes were the same until season 4 when it went to color, but apparently was done in season 2.

Did they make any changes in seasons 3 or 4 opening ??

I really prefer season 1 !!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

The Season One opening featured Kimble & Gerard on the train, then the train wreck, and Kimble emerging from the creek leading to the opening credits. There were two versions of that opening, one longer than the other. The long opening starts with William Conrad saying "Name...", whereas the shortened on starts with an extra word, "The name..."

Season Two was where they began to use the still screenshots to tell the story, lifting the one-armed man stuff from "The Girl From Little Egypt" and the running through the alley scenes from Kimble's dreams in "Nightmare At Northoak".

They kept that opening for Season Three, and even Four, but in Four, they had to color the black & white photos. Each still had its own color scheme. Somewhere back in this thread or another, I posted my own recreation of those colorized screens.

Seasons One through Three all used the "tilting" device on the credits, as if each were a card, tilting in and out of the frame, over top of the picture.

Season Four in color came up with the "pixelated-rip" device where the credits would peel from the upper left to the lower right, so it wasn't exactly the same as the old, but the opening screen shots were the same.

Harry

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Apparently, you me and Tina all received our replacement set the same day.

I also prefer and miss the original opening. Wish also that I could skip the 'teaser/spoiler' sequence. Outside of "The Outer Limits" I don't know of many shows that featured this. Does this hold for the remainder of the series, I wonder?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I too prefer the Season 1 opening. It's too bad they changed it for the rest of the series.

I also don't like the teaser in the beginning. The Warner Bros shows like Maverick and Cheyenne have it as well. (Though on a very few number of episodes of Maverick, the teaser is an actual new scene, a prologue for the upcoming story.)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

When did you guys send in the form? (I tried and failed to look through older posts.)

I sent mine in the first week of March and nothing yet.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
A colleague of mine mailed hers in March 14th. It arrived this afternoon!

4 weeks.

The Replacement Form said, "...within 4-6 weeks"
:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks