What's new

THE FUGITIVE - Season 2 Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
CBS is counting on everyone who purchased S2V1 to buy this release too. That is, everyone who didn't return S2V1 when they learned about the missing Rugolo music. ;)
If you have S2V1, there's no point in not buying S2V2. :cool:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Says it for me, Steve. I also think that this is why they finished releasing S2. There are #'s out there that are buying the releases but we all wonder here how the sales figures compared "pre vs post" music change.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I picked up S2V1 the day it streeted, but since I have such a backlog and not having finished S1V2, I found out about the music before I had the chance to open it. I agonized over it until my safe return period was almost up but ultimately ended up taking it back unopened. Very disappointing as I've been waiting to see the show again since '90 or '91 when A&E was running it.
Well, just two weeks back I decided before I canceled my Netflix subscription to check out a disc and see how the eps played with the replaced score. To be honest, had I not known about the controversy I would probably chalked up the new score -and specifically the missing theme at the begining of each act- simply to a sophomore season production decision. I realize for fans who have seen these far more often than I have the change is immediately discordant, but for fans like myself (and Paul Mavis) the substitution does not overwhelm the abundant positives of the show. While I would prefer and enthusiastically support further releases with the original score intact-if I ever run across a godd deal on both S2 volumes, I'll pick them up.
While I think Heyes did an admirable job mimicking the 'feel' of 60's era score on what was likely a very limited budget and severe deadline, I'm suprised they didn't rescore using contemporaneous library material that they had clear rights to...of which I'm assuming there's quit a bit. I don't think this would have placated the people upset now at all since the bottom line is the show is no longer the genuine article with any substitution going on.I do hope they resolve this more satisfactorily for S3 & 4.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
My take is, I never saw THE FUGITIVE until I bought S1V1 - and I enjoyed it, so I bought S1V2, which I also enjoyed .

Then I WANTED to buy S2V1, but when I learned about the music changes, even though I'm new to this series I didn't want to buy it. So right there Paramount lost a happy "new" customer for this show.

BUT - if it turns out that S2V2 is properly done and retains the original score after all, I will buy it and then return to purchase S2V1 and just deal with it as some kind of fluke for one half a season.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I'm inclined to agree with you especially as the CBS Paramount Syndication Bible indicates that only the first two seasons have been transferred to HD (though the page for "The Fugitive" hasn't been updated since March of last year). But the money has apparently been spent on the remastering and rescoring for these remaining episodes and it certainly looks, to me, that CBS/Paramount is attempting to recoup its investment. Unless there is some further indication down the line of additional episodes being transferred to HD, then this is probably it for "The Fugitive."

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Joe, that's the same for me. The DVD's are the first view for me for this show.

Paul's post brings in a very good point here but I've found, along with Mom, that as 1st-time viewers, the Heyes score was a large drop-off from the original soundtrack. At the same time I can understand how other 1st-time viewers wouldn't have an issue with the new score.

No surprise that this thread already has 25 posts :D

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Jeff, like you I was quite the neophyte where "The Fugitive" was concerned and purchased S1V1 on the series' reputation and the fact that it was made in B&W, of early sixties vintage, replete with all the great character actors of that era. I was hooked from the moment I finished watching "Fear in a Desert City" and the show now has become a firm favorite, somewhere in my top three, right next to "The Outer Limits". Since my initial purchase I bought and devoured two books on the series and have marveled at how consistently great the series is from one episode to the next.

I probably wouldn't have as great an issue with the music substitution as the seasoned "Fugitive" fans here, but I'm not willing to make the plunge for S2 until, like Paul Scott mentioned, I come across a great deal for both volumes. I know I'm going to cave eventually, but did want to do my part to send a message to Paramount about how dissatisfied I was with their course of action.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
The local independent station started showing The Fugitive at 7 pm weekdays and the season 2 episodes have the Heyes "music". So you better save your tapes and bootleg copies, that is the only way you will ever see the original show again. Paramount is so arrogant they probably threw away the original soundtrack after they "upgraded" it.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
You're
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
-ing me!
:eek:

Let us know what you hear behind Season 3. That will tell what the future holds for DVD releases. If it's the original music, no S3 or S4 DVDs. If it's Heyes music, then those will likely be released eventually on DVD.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Again, a supposition that should not be made, since it's entirely possible that the sets are selling poorly and CBS/P might not want to issue them in DVD sets.

Harry

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I appreciate your caveat Harry.
Where do you stand on Global Warming? ;)

Better yet, explain for us, why the Heyes music would now be in syndication and not the original scores?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

You would have to ask the powers that be as CBS/P.

My point is simply that one cannot determine for sure what will or won't be on DVDs based on what's in syndication. They're two entirely different animals.

You can look for clues - and we all do that - but you should not make hard and fast conclusions.

Harry

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I didn't intend those predictions to be hard and fast.

*I was a meteorologist in a former life; I guess I've forgotten how to be vague and obtuse. :laugh:

One can only imagine what CBS/P had to pay Heyes to put the new scores into TV syndication...or...CBS/P paid them so much they figured they'd get more-than-DVD use out of them. :crazy:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think it's safe to assume that if CBS had restored the original music they would have said so in the press release. You lose no customers by saying so and gain customers back you have lost.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly on the same date, a box set comprising the complete S1 & S2 episodes from the series is being released at an MSRP of $139.99

I wonder how the soundtrack will be handled for this... will the initial releases be revised to reflect the new score, will the horrible altered soundtrack from S2 be revised to appease protesting consumers who would repurchase the series in packaged sets or will it be a mix and match of currently existing releases? Will the complete S2 differ from the individually released set?

Hmmm...

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I will be expensive for 'someone' to find answers to those questions! :laugh:

I wonder if CBS/P would go to the trouble of putting out a box set of Season 1 & 2 if they didn't have plans to issue Seasons 3 & 4? (Could they have that much inventory to move?)

But...then again, I'm sitting here with a halfway-released HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL. :frowning:

BobSchneider

Second Unit
For the love a god people do not pre order this set until its professionally reviewed. If its altered and the sales come out resounding thud of failure maybe cbs will wise up and avoid this kind of release. Only the sting of a abject sale failure will make cbs wise up. Even if it means end of future releases The fugitive without its original score is only half the show, I couldnt image and would not buy some of my favorites (ie Wild Wild West, Ironside, Mission Impossible, I Spy, etc...) if there signature sound tracks were ripped out of them. They simplely wouldnt be the same. Please dont fall for the sucker punch, dont pre order and dont cross post trashing reviews on other un molested cbs classic sets like Hawaii Five 0 etc.... if you pre order fugitive s2 v2 and its got the same caca sound track you only got yourself to blame.:frowning: Yeah Im in the same boat Thegreatoz is waiting in vain for S4 and behoned for Have Gun Will Travel too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks