What's new

THE FUGITIVE - Season 2 Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
March 31st is the date listed in the latest news for the TV series THE FUGITIVE on DVD. No word on music substitutions yet, but the TV SHOWS ON DVD guys are investigating.

The Fugitive DVD news: Announcement for The Fugitive - Season 2, Volume 2 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Per the site owners requests, let's not bash anyone associated with the S2V1 debacle from last year. The situation is what it is, and it's either going to get better or it's not.

Episodes in this set will be:

46 Brass Ring
47 The End Is But the Beginning
48 Nicest Fella You'd Ever Want to Meet
49 Fun and Games and Party Favors
50 Scapegoat
51 Corner of Hell
52 Moon Child
53 The Survivors
54 Everybody Gets Hit in the Mouth Sometime
55 May God Have Mercy
56 Masquerade
57 Runner in the Dark
58 A.P.B.
59 The Old Man Picked a Lemon
60 Last Second of a Big Dream

Harry

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I suspect that it's with the Mark Heyes music, otherwise the announcement would have specifically noted that the original scores are back.

It is what it is. Still, I hope I'm wrong, even if I did just finish transferring all my VHS tapes, with the original scores, to DVD.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I bet it was worth it, though. I've been working my way through the second season, and having the original music intact is fabulous. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think this show could become one of my ten all-time favorites, once I have seen it all and can eventually digest the excellent piece of work that it is.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I saw the announcement much earlier but just didn't have the heart to start a thread on it. I figured someone eventually would. I really don't believe that this volume will be any different than the previous one.

Gary "hoping beyond hope I'm wrong - but there's nothing to indicate otherwise" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm surprised there's going to be another release at all. I thought they'd abandon it. But then again, you can never predict with the folks at CBS/Paramount.

I hope good sense has prevailed and the episodes will have their original scores. But then again, real world speaking, I doubt it. They're probably just trying to recoup some of the money spent digitally transferring and rescoring the entire second season, and hoping it's been long enough that the fans have cooled off.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Given the (misleading) nature of the music disclaimer ("restored" audio) it is a certainty that this will the same scenario as Vol 1. As previously posted, had this issue been resolved it would be prominently noted.

I'm surprised this got released. Perhaps CBS/P had already paid for the transfers and the new score and figured they'd try to recoup some of their investment. There's a segment of the buying population that was unaware of the controversy over this release and they will buy this. Sad to say, I won't be.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I agree with John and Steve that this is simply CBS/Paramount trying to recoup any expenses since they likely had the entire season prepared even before the S2, V1 fiasco hit the fan. They simply waited for the storm to pass and are finally deciding to release V2 at this point so they can get something out Season 2. I highly doubt we will see a third season release any time soon - if ever.

Gary "again, hope I'm wrong but the evidence is overwhelming" O.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
No way was I going to start the thread on this one
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I agree with what others have said...if the original music was there, we'd have heard about it loud and clear.

No way am I preordering this or even buying it until word comes down.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It's funny, I hadn't watched an episode on the S2V1 set in months, but last evening I pulled it out and threw on "When The Bough Breaks". The substituted music was still a thorn in my side, but I managed to watch it all the way through, trying to focus on the acting, script, etc. I kept the volume down and buried one ear in a pillow to minimize the altered music - a heck of a way to have to watch a favorite TV show.

It's certainly a shame that the video is so darned good, but the audio is so disappointing.

Harry

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm going to try and not get emotionally involved with this release...I've got to move on and accept I will probably never have factory releases of these episodes unaltered in my lifetime..

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Sadly Steve, that's not the music disclaimer. The audio is indeed restored, but that is not the music...it's the voice track.

To preempt any outrage over this release, the music disclaimer (at the bottom of the Specification boxes) now reads "Music has been changed for this home entertainment version." The word "Some" (music) has been removed from the S2V1 disclaimer.

This is simply the rest of the re-scored episodes from Season Two. Sobeit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like many others, I'll gladly buy this if the music is intact.I guess they don't want all the kids to think it's in black and white. Of course that doesn't take into account that they were never going to buy it anyway.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Is there ever any doubt about this? Of course the studios put color pictures on the front of their B-&-W shows to try and give the impression the show is in color because they fear younger viewers won't even consider a show that's not. I think that's painfully obvious, and unfortunately doesn't speak well to our culture as a whole and how we view vintage material. Ok, lest I really get up on the soapbox I'll stop right here.

Gary "come on, does anyone here really think there's even a remote chance that the underscore will be intact on this upcoming release?" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that you're most likely right but that approach makes no sense because who is going to buy a show that they've never seen before anyway? Sure, people on message boards like this may take a chance after hearing a bunch of good stuff about a show but I don't think having a color cover on a black and white show helps increase sales of a title with the average consumer- they're either going to buy it or they're not and a color cover isn't going to make someone decide to spend $35.

danielmartin

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I still haven't opened S2V1, but that doesn't mean I won't entertain thoughts of buying this. There no doubt will be confirmation closer to the release date on the status of the music, however it would be a good bet that this is just about clearing out what they've already prepared and recooping part of their expenses.
I'm just thinking that, with the current economic crapfest currently falling around us, the flow of 'classic releases' will trickle to a drop for the foreseeable future. Completing this release could merely be housekeeping.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name

I doubt this (or any) corporation would let conscience get the better part of any possibility of profit and I imagine this was the plan ever since the backlash -
wait a reasonable amount of time until the furor died down and quietly release the next set with as little risk to sales as possible. Even if this next set is as marred as the last, nothing will ever match the initial reaction to the last set. Those who are already aware of the problem will remain disgusted while those who don't know probably don't care regardless.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
David, the eternal optimist! :emoji_thumbsup: I like that. :D

The "new" Wanted poster has more shelf-appeal, IMHO.
CBS may have been going to use that art for a cover of a later season (in color) DVD release, but moved it up for this one...maybe because there won't be any later releases. :frowning:

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
With two TV DVD's already on my to-get list for March, joining The Nanny and Room 222, this certainly would make a very neat #3.

Yet I shall withhold making purchase plans until it is confirmed how well the music turns out.

To Be Continued...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks