What's new

THE FUGITIVE, Season 2, Vol. 1 - Replacement Program Announced (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Gord, I think that I and my co-horts here fully expect that, based on what you posted at your site.

And I think that that's what most of us WANTED, based on the original story about the rights to the Capitol music cues. We know and love the Rugulo cues, and expect them in the right places (act starts and ends, etc.)

If a Heyes cue or two or seven has to be used, then so be it. I'm secure enough and adult enough to accept that. Would I like all of the original music there - sure - but I also know that those cues weren't written for THE FUGITIVE - they were just placed there at the time.

In fact, one could consider that the Heyes stuff WAS written for THE FUGITIVE, albeit forty years hence. How's THAT for looking at the positives!?

Harry

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
So..I'm assuming there won't be any problems...music wise...with Season 2 Volume 2 and subsequent releases should they come?

By the way...any chance of the series being released in blu-ray high def?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant

Send me a P.M. with your address Pete, and i'd be happy to print a copy and mail it to you!

-g

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

I think that's probably a pretty big assumption, and not one I'd make.

CBS/Paramount made it plain that it could not find out who owned the rights to the Captol Music cues, so anytime THOSE are used, I think we can expect Heyes replacement music.

As I said earlier, as long as the genuine Rugulo cues are used (along with anything else that they DO have rights to), I'll be happy. It was the Rugulo cues that was the musical soul of the series.

Harry

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I thought my discs would forever remain wrapped in the original packaging destined to continue collecting dust in the DVD cabinet...but now I can unwrap them and send off the POP for the set containing the Rugulo cues that fans like Harry hold so dear.

Thanks Gord. We are again in your debt.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

Thank You very much for the offer someone already PM'ed me the same offer... I will have the form soon.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Thanks anyway!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I have held off buying this program due to the replaced music. It seemed to not be worth the investment if the program's music had been changed. I have also NOT bought My Three Sons, a personal favorite for the same reasons.

I just purchased all three sets from Amazon for 85.97. I'll get that second series disc and send away for my replacement discs while I begin to watch the first set.

I have never seen "The Fugitive", so this will be my first time to watch! I'll have to add it to my other classic TV watching!

I really need to just cancel my cable!!!

Jack

Mark Y

Screenwriter

First -- this is great news and I share your joy, though I never really followed this show. (Maybe I'll check it out.)

And I don't want to rain on anyone's parade...this is mind-blowing -- against all odds, this shows that when enough people make their voices heard, they will get results!

However -- and again, I'm not trying to "play the Devil's advocate" here -- but this is how I read this -- correct me if I'm wrong...

(1) They're not going to sell the corrected version at retail -- it's only available to those who bought the regular set and send in their proofs of purchase by the date indicated.

Translation: CBS/Paramount made a big effort to create their replacement music library in the first place, and it cost them money to do so -- they intend to keep doing this, but the "squeaky wheel" gets the grease. In other words -- the set with the replaced music was marketed towards "regular folks" who don't know the difference and that is still going to be standard operating procedure.

(2) A show like "My Three Sons" will not benefit from this, because not enough people registered their anger and disappointment -- because fans of "The Fugitive" are a passionate enough lot to make their voices heard en masse.

And that's still a concern -- the likelihood that the public has not seen the last of this issue. But maybe we'll get lucky and now that they've sorted out which cues were Capitol's and which aren't, future sets (of whatever series) won't be subjected to having their entire underscore replaced again.

Not to rain on anyone's parade -- like I said, I didn't really follow the show, but this is great news after the debacle that happened in the first place.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks for sharing that, Gord. I figured we wouldn't see a complete return to the Season 1 sets, where only a scant few musical numbers were replaced (a band playing in a home/bar or a quick tune on a radio). I'm not quite at the place Harry is where I can honestly say I'm ok with it if we only have the Rugulo cues at the opening and closing of acts and everything else is Heyes replacement music. I want to hear all the Rugulo cues, no matter where they pop up in the episodes. What I'm hoping for, along with Harry, is that we are only looking at a scant few Capitol cues being replaced. I can handle that, although I admit it probably won't be exactly the same for me as having all the original cues in. But at least CBS/Paramount has gone back and fixed things to the best of their ability at this time. For that I'm grateful.

I guess in the end we will all just have to wait and see what we are looking at. Perhaps your friend that is reviewing the discs can give you/us a more detailed analysis in the coming days. That would be wonderful.

Gary "thanks again, Gord, for all your hard work on this issue" O.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I understand the question, Gary. Here's the answer: The S2,V2 announcement was on January 12th. Gord had been giving his input about a possible S2,V1 replacement program since the Nov/Dec timeframe. So I was confused that they were moving ahead with the next release announcement, with no final public word yet about a replacement program for V1, and no mention of what the music situation was with V2.

Gord and I talked, and we decided that it was likely a matter of the studio hadn't finalized things with the V1 replace program yet, and that their intent was to keep mum about it with the V2 announce, but to go ahead and get it moving for a timely street date. So we kept mum, too, of course, until CBS was ready in their own time to make the whole thing public, as they finally did today.

Can't tell you how many times in the past few months I've had to bite my tongue! ;) But Gordo gets any and all credit for talking to CBS. I have no idea if he'll ever be asked to provide any such input in the future, but I'm naturally grateful that CBS talked to him about this one.

And I'm glad to see that so many people are reacting positively to this new situation, and are praising the studio for making this HUGE effort. I hope that my press colleagues, as well as fans of the show, are as vocal in their spreading of this terrific replacement program info, as they were of the original criticism!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that, David. I'm very grateful that you guys are able to be advocates for us. You know how much I've mentioned the need for such people, and both of you fit the bill. Thanks!

I'm certainly with you on praising CBS/Paramount as much as we gave them heck. That's only reasonable and right.

Gary "again, thanks for explaining what I thought was a weird situation to everyone here" O.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
A great big THANK YOU to CBS and Paramount and for everyone on HTF who caused this to happen, especially Gord and Dave. Great job, everyone!

A someone said, a pig just flew by (as I drove to DVDPlanet to finallly buy Season 2, v. 1). My replacement order form will be in the mail tomorrow.

Clugul

Agent
Real Name
Joyce
Here's to the power of the pen & the Internet.
I was one of those who wrote letters and emailed and posted to Amazon, etc.
And I kept the faith even when things were darkest. It's amazing what can be done when people put their minds to it.
Thank you Gord Lacey and Home Theater Forum for playing a big part in this.
Here's hoping the replacement DVDs will give us back most of the Fugitive music we love.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wrote a letter to Paramount and I figured that I was making my voice heard but I also figured that I was wasting a stamp at the same time. Needless to say, I'm happy to see that they were reading the letters, listening to the feedback, etc.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! This is certainly unexpected and a pleasant surprise to say the very least.

Very exciting news. Thanks Gord and Dave for all of your help in this matter. Of course thanks and sincere appreciation must also be given to CBS/Paramount. Now I'll buy the S2V1 release.

Now if only Broadway Video & Universal would someday see it appropriate to include all of the bumper photography in the SNL releases I would be ecstatic.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I purchased THE INVADERS as a blind buy last spring and enjoyed it so much that I was eager to purchase THE FUGITIVE as a blind buy as well, based on all the positive feedback about the series. However, I scrapped those plans when the news broke about the music replacement, as this is something I cannot stand with TV-DVD releases (I'm looking at you, Fox).

Needless to say, I'm going to purchase both seasons now and look forward to enjoying them. Hopefully Season 2, Vol. 2 will now sell well enough that CBS-P will move forward with plans for Season 3. I've spent a lot of $$ on CBS-P TV releases these last few years, and now feel much better about continuing to give them my $$ (Star Trek S1 Blu-Ray and Hawaii Five-0 S6, here I come!)
Thanks to everyone involved for helping make this happen, including CBS-P, who once again seems to be putting classic TV on a pedestal.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great news all around. I fully agree that CBS/P deserves credit for stepping up and doing the right thing here. As previously posted by others, their solution deserves as much attention and press as the original problem received.

Hopefully other series will be spared needless rescoring going forward. It's a shame that MTS has yet to be fixed; that went from "sure buy" to "pass" on my list.

Mega thanks also to Gord & Dave for their behind the scenes efforts to facilitate this program. I fully admit I never expected to see this happen, and this is a testament of the influence of their site and others that this problem was resolved.

Congrats to Gary, David VP, Carab, Harry and all the other "champions" of this series who worked to ensure that this landmark series got the first class treatment it deserves.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I buy A LOT of Paramount product from the US because for some reason Paramount likes to treat the UK market with utter contempt (leaving out all extras, etc.). I buy every Dynasty, Melrose Place, Rawhide, Perry Mason, etc. release as soon as they are available from Region 1 because I want to support the releases of the shows I love in order to complete them. Buying from amazon.com etc. registers as a US sale and so keeps those releases coming for everyone.

To find that I now don't qualify for this exchange after the truly retarded debacle of this release is ridiculous especially when Paramount distribute The Fugitive world-wide. Paramount UK will be worse than useless if contacted because they simply don't care (and no-one there seems to have a clue anyway). At least in the US you have sections of the studios who DO listen to fans and consumers and DO offer exchanges when things go wrong, it's just a shame that the international buyers are ignored every single time.

A guy from Criterion based in New York once mailed me out a re-authored version of a release that had been mis-pressed. Even though the release wasn't licensed to be sold internationally and I was in the UK he did it because he wanted it known that Criterion cared about their product and ALL their consumers no matter where they were.

Recently in the UK, Disney of all companies mis-pressed the Sleeping Beauty Platinum Edition. It was near impossible to get them to admit to a mistake (they preferred to blame the consumer for having their display set-up wrongly, which was not the case) and even harder work to get them to rectify the mistake.

I hope you lot in the US realise how lucky you are when dealing with the studios and their attitudes towards the consumer!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Just to set the record straight, CBS came to me with all the details of this replacement program, I just listened and provided a little bit of feedback. It was 100% their idea, they just let me in on it early.

It's also nice that they waited to announce this until they actually had the discs done. That lead to the weird situation with season 2, vol 2 being announced before the music issue was cleared up, but it also means people will get their replacement discs sooner rather than later.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks