What's new

"The Front Page" & "Pimpernel Smith"? (1 Viewer)

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to add both of these to my collection.

They are both available from reelclassicdvd.com . "The Front Page" is also available from Madacy, but is said to have abyssmal sound.

Can anyone comment on the quality from reelclassicdvd.com ? I'm looking more for "acceptable" than "excellence", since there obviously weren't any restorations.

Thank you.

DG

P.S. Does anyone know if the non-PD DVD of "His Girl Friday" was commercial success? If so (i.e., if folks were willing to pay incremental cost for incremental quality), I wonder why we don't see more restored (or at least sourced from better elements) DVD releases of PD properties. Perhaps, the good DVD of HGF flopped financially.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"Till The Clouds Roll By " a PD musical will get a real release by Warner Bros at the end of April. It will be part of a box set of musicals and released on its own I believe.

Perhaps more will follow.

I'm not quite sure why this is on the TV show forum.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I will buy that box set ("Till the Clouds Roll By", etc.) the first day, if not sooner.

Another PD title I'd like to have in restored version (meaning I'm willing to pay for it) is, "This is the Army".

(Guess I'm hijacking my own thread now, since original intent was to solicit opinions from any owners of reelclassicdvd.com DVDs named in original post.)

DG

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm not sure about "The Front Page", but I recorded this off of TCM last year and it was in pretty rough shape. My guess is that none of the PD prints are any better. It really detracted from my enjoyment of the film, and I would gladly buy a DVD of a restored version.

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
From my review at The Digital Bits,

" ... Reelclassicdvd's release of Pimpernel Smith is welcome, but the results are tolerable at best. The image is rather washed-out throughout and subject to numerous scratches and debris. The mono sound is understandable, but there is significant background hiss and crackle. This is the only DVD release either here or in Region 2 that I'm aware of. A fine film that deserves a better presentation, but for the time being, Reelclassicdvd's effort does fill the gap."

The disc includes a re-release trailer.

Barrie

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you, Barrie.

Now that you reminded me, I think I did see your comments at The Digital Bits. I always appreciate your reivews and comments on legacy and classic titles.

DG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks