1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Moe*A

Moe*A Stunt Coordinator

2. Ricard Casselha

Ricard Casselha Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

Gotta love that slipcase. [​IMG] Finally got my copy today. The DVD18 contains *everything* that the Special Edition Laserdisc had, plus 2 new introductions by Peter Jackson, and an anamorphic transfer of the film.

Sadly, no theatrical cut of the movie on the DVD though, so don't sell your old DVD if that's important to you.

Haven't found any easter eggs yet, but I'll be watching. [​IMG]

3. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

The doc on side B is four and half hours still?

4. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Wow, that slipcase looks awesome... I hope it comes with the German DVD too...

Where does it say no dts? And where does it say it's cut?
    It is a director's cut - how can it be censored?
    I wouldn't take that site's word with anything more than a grain of salt...

5. Ricard Casselha

Ricard Casselha Stunt Coordinator

Well, they removed the storyboard-part from the documentary, and movied it over to Side A of the disc along with the movie and the commentary, and left the rest of the documentary on Side B, probably for space. So it's all there. [​IMG]

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Why? They're a well-established retail outlet...

DJ

7. Daniel P

Maybe they are, but the failure to mention that the directo's cut has been confirmed to include dts, with the theatrical only DD 5.1 led to my post.

8. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    About possible cuts to the German version:

The UK theatrical version has always been cut to get a 15 rating. This mainly affected the exploding head scene.
    When it was released on DVD, the transfer was non-anamorphic and cut as per the cinema version. The problem: in order to save money Universal just slapped a lot of subtitles and language tracks onto the cut UK version and sold it all over Europe that way. So in effect, even though the German DVD was still rated 18, it was cut because they got the same disc as the UK.

Now, as for the new DVD set, I've encountered various reports with conflicting info. I've read claims that the German 4-disc-set contains a new anamorphic, uncut transfer for the theatrical version, but I also read that the theatrical version is the same old non-anamorphic, cut transfer as before.

I have no idea, what the disc actually contains, even the press release is unclear about it.

Chris

9. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

That scene you said got cut out in UK wasn't it a Ghost's head?
    If so it shouldn't be seen as something worthy to cut. Overall I am shocked this film got an R rating in theaters. It's just not that violent or scary to be R.

10. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I thought...

The head that got blown off was that of Jeffrey Combs' character. After it was blown off, it's immediately replaced with his ghost head.

11. John*A

John*A Auditioning

Ray H,

Thats right but to reduce the impact of that shot, they cut away mid shot and then cut back again. Its been a while since I saw the UK version so I may be wrong.

I'm going to wait until all the versions are released so we can get decent comparisons between them all. Normally I would pre-order this like a shot, but I'm disappointed that it only contains the directors cut.

It may have been mentioned before, but if you check the BBFC website you clearly see that there are two filmed introductions for each of the separate cuts. I was hoping for seamless branching myself.

PS a quick check of the IMDB reveals,

UK cinema had 2 seconds cut for a BBFC 15 cert: tThe moment where Agent Milton gets his head blown off is trimmed into two seperate shots to cut down the gore-factor. In the US version, his head is blown clear off in one 3-second shot.

12. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I have a copy of the three-disc UK release.

There's no option to watch the theatrical cut.

The disc does have a DTS option.

The Director's Cut does feature the shot that was previously-censored by the BBFC (which was accurately described in John's post, above).

13. Daniel P

Thanks JulianK.
    I think onlt the 4 disc version has the theatrical cut.
    Glad dts has been confirmed.
    Did it come with a slipcase?

14. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Okay, finally a proper and thorough review of the German 4-disc set has popped up. It's in German and can be found here.

The reviewer specifically mentions that both versions, theatrical and Director's Cut, feature anamorphic widescreen transfers and both are completely uncut!

I can't wait!

Chris

15. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

16. donnie_d

donnie_d Stunt Coordinator

what do you mean by Paper Sleeves?

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason

Means it didn't come in a retail package, but just the disc in a sleeve.

Jason

18. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Just counting the days until I can finally have this film in my dvd drawer. Will the R1 have DTS or not?

19. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Is the DC cut of the film significantly different than the theatrical version?

Does it re-edit any sequences or simply expand certain scenes and is there any reason to keep my current theatrical cut alongside the new Directors Cut release or is there any reason for me to bother returning to that version again?

I'm just curious if the new cut adds a few minutes of extra running time, or changes the pacing and structure of the movie significantly?

20. Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren Second Unit

Paul Warren
    Got my R1 copy early.

Just watched the movie & some of the 4+ hours documentary!!

No DTS. DVD18 so no disc label. No chapter insert. Packaging is just a standard plastic case with a slipcase which is ever so slightly raised in places on the ghosthead image.

Directors cut is on Side A along with PJs commentary.

Side B contains the 4+ hours long documentary which is IMO probably the best ever put onto DVD. No chapter stops either although you get title cards before each segment so can skip if not your bag. This means you have to blind watch the entire 4+ hours once to list the section names!!

Peter Jackson does recent video intro's to both the directors cut & the documentary. All the extras are included from the Laserdisc release (according to PJ).

All of the extra 14 mins look very well edited into this new cut. Did not notice any jarring cuts/edits to incorporate them. A lot of this extra footage are entertaining gags involving the ghost trio companions of Michael J Fox. Also contain what appear to be new CG work as in places the colour on this 14mins looks ever so slighly richer than the original CG work.

Overall PQ is very good. Slight grain in places but a minor improvement over the barebones R1 DVD.

The DD5.1 Sound is excellent (although still not as good as the DTS NTSC LD). Deep low bass & an active dynamic soundmix.

Sorry but I do not have any time to post screenshots comparing the 2 R1's.

For once this is a double dip well worth the upgrade and you also get a free ticket to see King Kong before 01/01/06 (only valid for North American theaters).