What's new

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05 (1 Viewer)

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
So do you have the option to watch the storyboards while watching the actual film? Like Anchor Bays Army of Darkness?

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
After 7 pages, I'm still not sure what's on the Region 1 disc!

As far as I can tell it is:

The director's cut of the movie (123 minutes vs 110 theatrical) - what is in that cut? Over at horrordvd.com they mention over 15 deleted scenes. Are these on the R1 disc?

The four hour documentary from the LD. Some reviews at Amazon saw the entire doc is there on side two, others complain that this isn't the same material as the European and Japanese sets.

Horrordvd also breaks down the special features (bloopers, storyboards, etc.) from the LD - are these part of the documentary or something different?

On this post, a 3 disc UK, a 3 disc Japanese and a 4 disc German set are mentioned. What's differences between these and the R1 disc?

Anyone, please HELP! list out the differences between these discs. I love this movie and want the version with the most features (as close to the LD as I can get) This is getting as confusing as when I was trying to figure out which copy of "Army of Darkness" to buy!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The documentary on side B times out at around 3:44. It's the only thing on side B. All of the various items listed on the back cover of the DVD are described as being included in the documentary.

I have nothing to compare it to (never had the LD set); so that's all I can say.

M.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

What is the runtime of the storyboard feature on Side A? It should run around 45 min. If so, that, along with the material on Side B, would constitute the entire LD "documentary."

Also, is Side B really not chapter-encoded? That would be fairly horrendous, given the somewhat non-linear structure of the documentary (although the extraction of the storyboards into a separate feature probably alleviates that a good deal).

DJ

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Is there a free KING KONG ticket in every copy or does it vary by store?

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.

What about the director's cut vs. the theatrical cut? What scenes are in this cut - all the ones that mentioned on horrordvd.com in this cut?

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Ok . . . I have never seen this flick, but I dug Dead Alive and his work on The Lord of the Rings. Is this worth a blind purchase?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Finally got it and saw it. It's true, it's not an urban legend! The damn thing IS 4 hours!

And also about the ghost sighting, probably the executives had not seen this before they handed them the money for LOTR! :D Although that I don’t believe him, I have to confess that the way he told it, was kind of freaky!

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Okay. Im also confused about the R1 release. I thought it was supposed to have the theatrical and DC. I have the theatrical cut already so not getting that is okay. But I was promised dts for at least the DC.

So no more dts on either cut in R1?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I thought I saw PJ's intro to theatrical version in one of the lists of extras. Why would that be on there if the theatrical cut wasn't included. Also, isn't the commentary over the theatrical cut as well?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Scott Simonian:

No. On LD, only the director's cut ever had a commentary. The same is now true on DVD, at least for R1. I don't think any other regions have commentary over the theatrical cut, either.

DJ

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I think this director's cut is a real treat for people that wanted the laserdisc boxset. No fluffy dvd extras here. Just pure filmbuff material that tells you about the filmmaking process. Remember that back in the laserdisc days?

The transfer is kind of average. A few closeup shots look pretty good detail wise but most of the time there's that filtered look with some EE. The soundtrack on the other hand rocks. R1 really should've gotten DTS though. Grr.

I'm already thru half of the storyboards and it's pretty obvious to me that it plays better than what was shot, especially the restaurant and museum scenes. A lot like the novelization which had ALOT more detail about the characters. I really wish that version was shot.

Jackson looks terrible in the intro. I hope he's not dying or something.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the info. Mark. I think I'm gonna go for the 4 disc German set. No "Kong" ticket for me....

:frowning:

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Well, if it's half as good as Dead Alive then maybe I'll hit the store up again tomorrow and get it (with the free King Kong ticket).

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Well, my copy freezes and pixelates on the layer change of the feature (around 1:20:50 - the "near death experience"). Time for a replacement copy...*sigh*

Other than that - great release. Hope it was just a bad copy (disc appears spotless - no scratches, smudges, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks