What's new

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Only 1 commentary. Sorry but I made a mistake in my previous post. As for the CG work only the 14 mins of new material looks new to me. The rest of the CG looks as was before.

andy wells

Agent
err... wasn't the release date of this cut supposed to be the 29th? I was at.. a store yesterday, and they had it out on the shelf, so I picked it up, thinking I had missed the release date, but the digital bits has it listed as the 29th..

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I will wait and get this once it hits the discount bin. I wont reward Universal with 20 bucks plus. I know it has a lot of extras, but it sounds like most come from the LD (i know its $100 cheaper than the LD). Just tired of a premium price for a DVD-18 that may or may not play.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
May I get a clarification here? Does the German 4-disc have English dts on the DC? English DD 5.1 on the TC? Thanks.

Trying to decide between the German or UK versions...

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Read the review linked a few posts back Craig...
But to answer your questions, yes and yes...
If you want the theatrical verion, the German is the one to get, if not, I believe the other 3 discs are identical (German vs English releases).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks. Actually, I didn't get the info I wanted from the review: which audio is where. I can't read German, and all I knew was there was DD and dts *somewhere*...

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Try http://babelfish.altavista.com/ for translating.
Here's the video and audio descriptions translated:

The anamorphe picture transfer (2.35:1) is good with both versions as same to evaluate. The collecting mains are in a very good condition and have as good as no Dropouts or pixels. Only in the Director's CUT can be constituted with the magnifying glass a few tiny pixels, which do not continue to be noticeable however. Sharpness and contrast are likewise very good and show also the many small background details in the picture well. The colors are very strong, but does not overemphasize. The black level is likewise very deep, but nevertheless highly detailed. Picture elements are not swallowed in dark scenes. The compression keeps the picture free by artifacts and background noise. Nevertheless kurzweilig an easy line flares can be determined at some outlines, which might be noticeable however likewise only to the experienced eye. In both cases it concerns really very good Transfere.

Only the cinema version is clay-purely equipped with a German, which is present also unfortunately only in the normal Dolby Surround format. No reasonable Upmix was produced why here remains a mystery, since the English and French in DD5.1 were up-played. Nevertheless the German TRACK can quite be able to be heard and even supplies in the Surroundmodus a few passable spatial effects, although the sound and the music concentrate mainly on the front days. The English DD5.1-Track is an absolute ear pasture, since both the mad music is not saved by Danny Elfman and at "spirit-rich" direct Surroundeffekten. Particularly violently the appearances of the Reapers are naturally guessed/advised, which is strongly supported with low bass employment. The dialogues sit in the center, but also now and then into the Surroundkanaele were as far as possible firmly placed (e.g. with the Flashbackszenen at the end). Merging succeeded very well, so that no disturbing laps are to be constituted. The Directors CUT offers also to English DTS TRACK, which is a little more wuchtiger guessed/advised primarily in the bass employment, in addition, smaller noises in the Surroundkanaelen a little better stresses. The sub-titles for the film and for the audio comment are fade outable in the purely English-language Director's CUT in addition.

Summary: Theatrical German Dolby Surround, English DD 5.1 - DC English DD 5.1, dts 5.1.

Hope that helps ;)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^ That is pretty funny! Actually, it's lots better than most babelfish translations I've tried before (Chinese, Japanese, Korean).

Do you know if this will have the (what looked like) embossed cover that was posted here (Scandinavian version??)?

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure about that one, but if it's from the Scandinacian release, I'd say almost definitely. (I thought that cover was the R1 version!?!)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^ LOL, did I mention I was a bit confused??

I just guessed it was embossed (from the light reflections), and that it was from Scandinavia because of the poster's location and him having it already...

OTOH, the format sounds like the R1 release.

I am really of two minds about DVD-18's: haven't had problems so far, but just don't like them. Can they really be that much cheaper than two DVD-9's? Not much use for a disc changer either. Old news I know...oh yeah, I like disc labels too.

Then there's my best R1 player having much higher video quality than my multi-region players.

I think I'll wait for a few more comments on the different versions before deciding. If I lived in Germany it would be a lot easier to decide...

Ricard Casselha

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry, I forgot to clarify that it was the R1-version I posted pictures of. I have an excellent supplier that *always* send out DVD's in advance. I'm expecting the new special edition of Sin City any day now. :)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
CraigF
I'm with you on the DVD18's Craig, and I understand your dilemna. Remember that the R1 version misses out on dts for the director's cut, and also misses out on the theatrical version of the film completely.

Ricard Casselha
Do post your thought on Sin City when it arrives Ricard, you lucky so and so ;)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Oh yeah, I haven't forgotten. Especially after the babelfish translation described the sound as an "absolute ear pasture". Ummm, is that good or bad? I guess it depends what's been walking in the pasture... But "bass employment" sounds very good, ours just refuse to work and mostly just loaf all summer.

Ricard Casselha

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel P: You know, after reading a post in the Sin city-thread here at HTF, I decided to cancel my order. Too much money for only 4 minutes of new footage. I'm getting it when the price goes down to 20-25. :frowning:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Exactly what I did! I am very glad that somebody reported this in that thread. The comic inclusion is good, but IMO 4 minutes of real footage and the comic isn't worth Cdn$30+ (~US$25) *right now*. I figure some fancy-schmancy SC 1+2 edition will be out in about a year. However, I couldn't resist getting the 1-disc when it came out, it is quite good. Rodriguez is good to his fans, he knows what we like, so I expect to see the SC1 DVD "extras" again in the not-too-far future.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
yeah, it was mentioned like 3 times on the last page :) They've moved the storyboard section to film side of the disc, but everything is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks