The Friends Joey, Ross & Rachel triangle....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jul 26, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was just reading a USA Today article with the producers of the show Friends. They were saying how they are not sure about how it is going to end up and Joey & Rachel might end up together. They say it is tough because 50% of the audience wants them together. Fifty percent! Of who? Matt LeBlanc's family?? I don't know one person who watches the show that wants them together. I mean it is ridiculous. They spend the last 7 years having Ross wants Rachel, Rachel wants Ross and vice versa again & again. It would be a let down to what seemed to be inevitable. But, it could be a ploy to throw people off to what is coming up this season. Which I am glad is going to be the last. I enjoy the show, but it's time is coming.

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I also read the artical and I was getting irratated by the fact that they have even considered stringing this thing out for any length of time. If it isn't a ploy, than this could be the stupidest thing I have scene of Friends.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Incredibly stupid. They just came up with that stupid plot idea last season, and it was dumb all the way. They don't match. There's no spark. Nothing.

Let it end with Ross and Rachel starting to get back together (no wedding, thank you).

4. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure they'll have a little heat on their backs to create the best scenario for a spin-off series.

5. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Consider me in the vocal minority, but I think the opposite is true- the Ross-Rachel thing had it's time in the sun and now it's tired, tired, tired. :b
    Personally, it'd be great to see Rachel be a single mom with a little help from her...umm..."friends" (pun, sort of intended) and let Ross be more of an onscreen father to this one than he was to his son.
    All IMO.[​IMG]
    Rafael

6. andrew markworthy

Personal view only, but Ross is now such a whiny annoying little geek that anything that will hurt him is great in my book. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think Joey and she should get together and Ross should die horribly and painfully. Yes, nurse, I'll come quietly.
    [Several minutes later] The injection seems to have taken effect. Okay, what was I saying? Ah yes - Friends. I think that this is another lame ass idea to inflate some energy into a series which jumped the shark a long time ago. Yes nurse, perhaps a little more.
    [Several minutes later]. Wow! What a wonderful plot idea - the producers are really on the ball, and I just love the way they've dragged out the Ross-Rachel thing over nearly a decade. It's alright, nurse, I feel better now. Yes, I'd love to see a compendium of TNG with Wesley in it.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I tend to favor Ross being with Rachel, but I thought the season ender was beyond lame. I get so tired of the silly miscommunication plot devices - it's such a copout for writing something interesting. I can enjoy it when there is slapstick involved, but when it's serious stuff it just gets annoying.

8. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

yeah, if they don't nip the entire Rachel/Joey thing immediately in the first episode of the new season, I will lose most interest. Stupid storyline, no chemistry, Joey is comic relief, not a romantic character...

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I really dislike Ross. He's the only Friend I wouldn't be friends with. I'd much rather Joey and Rachel get together, or Rachel stick it out alone.

Phoebe deserves someone good too.

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    The match ups are very natural.

Monica - Chandler
    Rachel - Ross
    Phoebe - Joey

It's a no brainer because that's where the chemistry lies.

Sure, Ross is annoying, but basically so is Rachel. They deserve eachother. I laugh when I read that last season was supposed to be a high spot for that series, it was easily the most tired. This next season will be a pain to watch I bet.

11. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the idea that Rachel and Ross are over. Yes, he is the father of Emma. Yes, if things don't get too awkward, he should be able to have a part in raising her. But Ross and Rachel as a couple is dead and they all need to move on.

Joey has been more respectable, more of a companion and more of a "soul mate" to Rachel over the past year or so then anyone else. I would be glad for them to end up together. And helping to care for Emma, Joey will learn responsibility and with him focusing only on Rachel, monogamy.

12. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The Joey-Rachel storyline seemed so forced. thet was absolutely nothing there. Bedises, it's been obvious for years that Ross and Rachel are supposed to be together.

And the Joey-Phoebe chemistry goes back to the early epsiodes where Joey was dating Ursula 9which was on TV locally last week).

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Joey and Rachel will not work because well Rachel doesn't have those feelings for him(as she told him earlier). The only reason she said yes in the finaly was b/c she was worried b/c she was listening to Janice.

Ross and Rachel have ALWAYS loved each other once they got together and EVERYTIME they dated someone else the other person got jealous. The ONLY reason they are not together is that they are idiots that have never once talked about how they feel for each other.

14. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    "now"? How about every episode starting with episode 1 and continuing to the last episode of next season (or the season after, if they add another year)?
    Now Phoebe...I wish nothing but total happiness for sweet, lovely, kind, and addled Phoebe.

15. Berk

Berk Stunt Coordinator

Personally I'm surprised that the Joey-Rachel issue hasn't been mention since the "closure" between Rachel and Joey issue. If the writer's were taking this topic seriously you would think it'd come up again.

Joey is one of the most entertaining Friends, in my opinion. However I do not see him and Rachel together.

16. Robert Monzo

Robert Monzo Agent

The series began 8 years with a terrific pilot episode that strongly suggested Ross and Rachel would be together. That's how the show began, that's how it should end. After all these years of R&R's ups and downs, anything else would be a huge disappointment in my opinion.

Robert

17. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

Certainly having Ross and Rachel together in the end would be the easiest and most sensible ending to the show. However, I feel the most amusing scenario would have Rachel with Gunther.

18. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

19. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Rachel and Gunther getting together would be to unrealistic for the show.

Now the show could tease Gunther and have him think he has a legit shot and then the harsh truth of reality can crush him once again.

20. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Does anybody have a link to the referenced article?

I think the situation with Rachel and Joey being engaged while Rachel is still living with Ross, in order to get some help with Emma, will be hilarious.

When you think about it, that's the way things ended last year, right? Since Rachel said "Yes" to what she perceived to be a proposal from Joey, she's engaged to Joey (with Ross' mothers' ring) while currently living with Ross!!

In all likelihood, Ross is going to want to continue to live with Rachel as long as possible so he can help out with Emma, so I can see at least 12 weeks worth of hilarious eps based on that premise alone.

And can you imagine the scene where Joey explains to Ross that he's now engaged to Rachel with Ross's ring??

No, I don't see this situation being "put to bed" in just one or two episodes ...

Anyway, Joey can't just tell Rachel that she misinterpreted his proposal ... after all, she said "Yes". Ross doesn't want to hurt her feelings, either. After all, he's still her very good friend as well.

The way I see it, the first part of the new season is going to be quite a ride!!