The Freddie Mercury Tribute concert DVD - details

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    from the Official International Queen Fan Club web site;

"FREDDIE TRIBUTE CONCERT DVD

This is now planned for release on May 13th. it will consist of TWO discs, disc one is the second half of the show with a track listing as follows:

Intro piece - interview

Tie Your Mother Down - Queen & Joe Elliott

I Want It All - Queen & Roger Daltry

Las Palabras De Amor - Queen & Zucchero

Hammer To Fall - Queen and Gary Cherone

Stone Cold Crazy - Queen and James Hetfield

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen & Robert Plant

Too Much Love Will Kill You - Brian May

Radio Ga Ga - Queen and Paul Young

Who Wants To Live Forever - Queen & Seal

I Want To Break Free - Queen & Lisa Stansfield

Under Pressure - Queen/David Bowie/Annie Lennox

All The Young Dudes - Queen & David Bowie

Heroes - Queen & David Bowie

'39 - George Michael & Queen

These Are The Days Of Our Lives - George Michael & Queen

Somebody To Love - George Michael & Queen

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen/Elton John/Axl Rose

We Will Rock You - Queen & Axl Rose

We Are The Champions - Queen & Liza Minelli

Disc two features a documentary made by DoRo about the event, including backstage footage and rehearsals, and features an introduction by Roger filmed just a few weeks ago. There is also a short piece on the Mercury Phoenix Trust and still photos from fans and from the official photographers."

-----------

Now why the entire show is not being released is confusing to me. Besides, what they are releasing (the "Queen 2nd half") is minus 2 performances, Robert Plant's "Innuendo" (which wasn't on the original VHS version) and Elton John's "The Show Must Go On".

As a reminder, the release date mentioned is specifically for the UK/Europe. Nothing has been said for a U.S release.

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Hmmm, that's a little frustrating, yet I'd still buy even that offering. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the US gets.

Despite missing so much it's got lots of great music still there.

3. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Hmmmm. Guess I'll hang on to my laserdisc. I'd rather have a two-disc set with the whole show and no extras.

Plant messed up on "Innuendo," and the performance was sorta flat, so I can see why that was left off, but "Show Must Go On" was great. It worked so well, Elton did that song regularly on his subsequent tour.

However, if they put Spinal Tap on as a hidden bonus track, I might change my mind...

Ryan

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Maybe its because the songs listed are either Queen songs, and/or feature Queen themselves. The first half of the concert--wasn't this just different artists doing their own songs? Metallica did a few, Def Leppard, Extreme, and Guns' N' Roses did a couple each, IIRC. Perhaps there are rights issues with the non-Queen songs, with all of the different record labels and what not.

Oh well. If this was the entire thing, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but for now, I can hang on to my (wretch) VHS tape I bought a couple of years ago for a buck fifty.

-mwb-

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

8. Michael Allred

Michael
    It really doesn't bother me much, afterall I usually fast forwarded past Metallica, Extreme, Def Leppard and GnR anyway. I'm sure rights issues had to have been the reason for their exclusion.

However, I still would've liked Elton and Plant's 2 performances included. (Part of me is still thinking Elton's TSMGO exclusion was a type-o, he's such a big fan of Queen as well as one of their best friends.)

I wonder what the audio options will be? DD5.1? DTS?

9. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Wow, what a letdown. There are MANY songs on the laserdisc that are missing from the announced DVD. Some Queen songs done by artist with only Brian May on guitar for instance.

And, even though I wasn't a fan of theirs, Extreme did an INCREDIBLE job with their medley. Only true fans could have pulled it off the way they did. For that reason alone, I gained some respect for them.

Somewhere, I have a tape of the live broadcast which contains Robert Plant's Innuendo and I can concur with Ryan that Mr. Plant would probably be happy if it never again saw the light of day. Too bad. It had potential.

The DVD lists one track that is not on the laserdisc that I don't seem to remember and that's "Las Palabras De Amor - Queen & Zucchero". I always loved that song too. I just don't know who Zucchero is.

That and a truly kick-ass 5.1 soundtrack would be the only things to entice me to pick up a copy.

I just wish they'd get down to business and get another REAL Queen concert on DVD (Wembley or Rio).

Thanks for the info!

C

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Sounds like it is a moot point right now, but if it ever comes to R1, I'd only buy the whole concert. If they were somehow able to release the whole thing, it would be an instant purchase for me.

11. Michael Allred

Michael
    Zucchero is an Italian singer, that's all I know.

The only other song Brian May played on (that's NOT on the DVD) is "Now I'm Here" with Def Leppard.

At least there is what promises to be a nice documentary on the 2nd disc.

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Cool. Annie Lennox as Pris, scaring David Bowie!

Is this region 1?