What's new

The Force is Strong on Blu-ray: Star Wars Saga Breaks Global Sales (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I voted for the last option; but honestly, I was not tempted in any way to purchase any of the Star Wars Blu-Rays. It would have caused me more displeasure than pleasure to watch Lucas' versions Du jour.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Towergrove said:
It was made 7 years ago? I didn't know transfers of film have sell by dates like the milk at the local dairy?? Does it somehow make it less enjoyable if it's past expiration? If so what is the expiration date exactly cause I really enjoyed the quality of this boxed set even if it's spoiled .
Good for you, sir. I'm pleased for you :cool: I've had the HD versions for some time now - from the German broadcasts - and they're also from the same HD masters as the new bluray sets, minus a little colour tweaking. If you enjoy it then that's great, but it could have been far better, and what many people are pissed with is the fact Lucasfilm said one thing, and did another in terms of all the items which still have yet to be fixed. It's the fact these things weren't fixed, but that they had time to add blinking Ewoks and stupid extra lines of dialogue that bother many. Myself included - so I'll stick to the HD broadcasts for those times I need to see the Special Editions (i.e. not often!). I'll stick with Harmy's superb HD reconstructions until Lucasfilm do this thing correctly (aka a Ben-Hur type release - now that DOES look stunning, and it couldn't have been that good 7 years back either). I'll bow out here, and let bygones be bygones :)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Robert George said:
I don't see this as rubbing anyone's nose in something. However, I do see this as a small dose of reality to that small segment of so-called movie buffs that seem to feel Blu-ray is somehow supposed to be perfect all the time. Not that this will mean anything to them. For them, it will just give them someone to look down their collective noses at, that is, everyone that thinks this is a premium product.
Says the guy who was fed up with the anamorphic DVD whiners as well. Admit it Robert, you're just a collector. You don't really give a crap about quality or authenticity to the cinematic experience.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cactus said:
So is this actual sales, that is: to end consumers, or as usual: units shipped to stores?
It's the number sold and not the number shipped. From the press release "...the bestselling catalog Blu-ray Disc of all time with worldwide sales totaling one million units, including 515,000 units sold in North America...".

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

Says the guy who was fed up with the anamorphic DVD whiners as well.

Admit it Robert, you're just a collector. You don't really give a crap about quality or authenticity to the cinematic experience.

Dude, you really should let it go. 14 years is a really long time.

And your last comment is pure bullshit, and did I kill your dog or something?

I watch movies to be entertained, first and foremost. Technical presentation is important, but it only goes so far. Perfect video and audio don't make a bad movie good, and last year's transfer doesn't make a great movie bad.

BTW, what, exactly, is the "cinematic experience"?

Crappy sound from 30 year old audio gear?

Out of focus projection from a worn out lamp?

Beat-to-shit polyester prints?

Sticky floors?

Stale popcorn?

Talkative patrons?

Cactus

Auditioning
Real Name
Henrik Andersson
TravisR said:
It's the number sold and not the number shipped. From the press release "...the bestselling catalog Blu-ray Disc of all time with worldwide sales totaling one million units, including 515,000 units sold in North America...".
Sure, but most probably sold by Fox to distributors, not actual shop sales. It's the same with music top lists. Most of the time they reflect the number of discs sent out to shops. How do you figure Fox knows how many copies a gas station in Hicksville sold?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cactus said:
Sure, but most probably sold by Fox to distributors, not actual shop sales. It's the same with music top lists. Most of the time they reflect the number of discs sent out to shops. How do you figure Fox knows how many copies a gas station in Hicksville sold?
If that was the case, why would any company ever say that they shipped x number of copies rather than always saying that the number of copies shipped was what they sold? The numbers given are what was sold to people.

Cactus

Auditioning
Real Name
Henrik Andersson
TravisR said:
If that was the case, why would any company ever say that they shipped x number of copies rather than always saying that the number of copies shipped was what they sold? The numbers given are what was sold to people.
Why would they say they sold all they shipped to shops? Because that's what they did. Fox sold a million copies, I'm sure that's true. Did the stores in turn shift a million copies to customers? How could we know? Who would compile that data? In this short time? Not every shop in the world is hooked up to deliver daily sales reports to Fox. Music top lists have been compiled this way for ages. There's a reason a big album hits the number #1 spot on the top list before you even knew it was released, and that's because they count the number of discs sold to stores. That's why that album falls down the list pretty fast if it's not an actually liked album, because there are no restocking requests.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Even with these "old" source materials, the flaws in the Star Wars saga with regard to outdated CGI, garbage mattes, etc. really become more apparent. While it doesn't bother me, I have a feeling that it drives perfectionist George Lucas crazy. IMO, he probably thought that HD masters were bought and paid for in 2004 (and he'd be right) and that he was assured at the time that they would suffice to bring him into the HD future, including HDTV broadcasts and any optical HD format.

If he would have commissioned new scans of the OT in 4 or 6k, he'd have likely found the flaws too dense to tolerate without another Lowry digital clean-up, which would have cost a lot. So, these are "good enough." Truth be told, for likely 98% of his audience they are exactly that. Higher and higher scan resolutions reveal higher and higher levels of flaws and more cost.

Besides, given the "old" nature of the source material for this saga, it does look pretty good on Blu-ray from a 1080p source. I doubt any perceived "obligation" to the film world and preservationists ever entered his mind. He knows the component negatives are still there and are secure, so there probably isn't much concern in his mind.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I have to laugh. Let's see, let's bundle 6 of the highest grossing films of all time into one set - you think it will sell better than if each title were released separetely? Do you think they'll break sales records?

Do you think if Disney releases a box set of "The Jungle Book", "Aladdin" "The Little Mermaid" "Mary Poppins" "Cinerdella" and "Lady and the Tramp" sales records wouldn't be broken?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cactus said:
Why would they say they sold all they shipped to shops? Because that's what they did. Fox sold a million copies, I'm sure that's true. Did the stores in turn shift a million copies to customers? How could we know? Who would compile that data? In this short time? Not every shop in the world is hooked up to deliver daily sales reports to Fox.
How many stores that carry an $80 or more Blu-ray set are not able to report the numbers sold? I'm sure there's still some independent stores out there but they probably account for a drop in the bucket when compared to stores like Wal Mart, Amazon, Target and Best Buy who clearly make up the bulk of sales and are able to report sales figures every day.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by cafink

I avoided purchasing these Blu-rays specifically because they do not include the original version of the films. However, all of the recent Star Wars discussion got me pretty excited to see them again, so I just watched the original versions, which I have on DVD. I enjoyed doing so immensely; I certainly don't feel that I've "missed out" on anything any more so than with any other movie I have on DVD but not Blu-ray. If anything, I feel I would be missing out if I eschewed the versions of the films that really did "change the way the world looked at films" in favor of CGI-"enhanced" Frankensteinian monstrosities just because I cared more about picture & sound qualilty than I did about the films themselves.

And I agree with you I miss-spoke. You don't have to watch it in Blu-ray to enjoy the films. But I like the transfer and on a large screen they look good. Am I getting rid of the OT DVD or Laserdiscs - NO I am not and will not.

Cactus

Auditioning
Real Name
Henrik Andersson
TravisR said:
How many stores that carry an $80 or more Blu-ray set are not able to report the numbers sold? I'm sure there's still some independent stores out there but they probably account for a drop in the bucket when compared to stores like Wal Mart, Amazon, Target and Best Buy who clearly make up the bulk of sales and are able to report sales figures every day.
Sure, a lot of stores do. But Fox counting up the *worldwide* total number of sold units to end consumers? Right. At best, the figure is a shot from the hip, along with the $84 million claim. This quote is great too: "Once again our fan’s enthusiasm to celebrate Stars Wars continues to amaze us”.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Cactus

...... Sure, a lot of stores do. But Fox counting up the *worldwide* total number of sold units to end consumers? Right. At best, the figure is a shot from the hip, along with the $84 million claim.

We compare that number with figures of the same type on other BD and SDVD sales. It's not important whether or not all discs are sold to end users yet. Fox counts the numbers retailers are willing to buy.

Cees

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This poll really needs another option: "I didn't purchase the set because I am waiting for the price to drop". After all, the set not including the original theatrical versions isn't the only possible reason why a person has not purchased the set.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Add this option also: I bought it (for now so far), but need to wait out the possibility of buyer's remorse (and returning the set), especially w/ all the issues coming out of the woodwork that did not get much, if any, press in most of the reviews out there before...

Having said that, I'm guessing I'll probably just keep the set (and make my son happy as that's really the bigger reason I got it vs holding out for better) -- the price I paid (at ~$62+tax) was quite reasonable and w/in my ballpark range, so that's not really the issue...

Hopefully, Lucas will see fit to give us the unaltered OT in top quality BD in the not-too-distant future (though maybe my last bit of desire to re-dip yet again will wear out by then)...

_Man_

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Alessandro said:
Oh and i want to thank everyone who called me a troll, and an attention seeker..(really appreciate that guys.)
You brought all that on yourself with your ridiculous posts!

Glad they are doing well. Just finished the PT and they all three look beautfiul. Can't wait to show Episode IV on a 20ft. screen on Saturday night...expecting about fifty people!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks