What's new

The Forbidden Kingdom - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As a fan of the Monkey King stories as a child, "The Forbidden Kingdom" was a treat for me to see the Monkey King brought to live-action. I had no idea this was part of the story, but it was neat for me.

Overall, the film is a hero's journey brought on by a boy named Jason (Michael Angarano of "Sky High") who is given a stick weapon to return to its rightful owner under the stress of a dangerous situation where Jason is literally running for his life, and inexplicably finds himself back in ancient China, and is befriended by Lu (Jackie Chan), a monk (Jet Li), and Sparrow (Yifei Liu). They help Jason to return the stick to a legendary place to free the Monkey King, who has been imprisoned for 500 years.

There is plenty of kung-fu action, some sparring between Chan and Li, funny training scenes with Jason as he tries to master kung-fu teachings, and the film moves at a good pace, although characterization is sacrificed for such a brisk pace for the film, but it works for the film, not against it. Overall, I enjoyed it very much.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had a great time watching this film today without any knowledge of the Monkey King.:)

Crawdaddy

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The mixed media reviews had me uncertain whether to catch this right away. I may still wait, but perhaps not as long as I figured.

PatH

Second Unit
Who's the white-haired chick? My brother's a bigger fan of these than I, but he takes me to most of 'em, which I must admit to having enjoyed to one degree or another. Without saying this one is better than that one, I really liked this one.

PatH

PatH

Second Unit
Thanks, Patrick.

I found this elsewhere, but could not use imDb because I didn't remember her character's name in the film.

PatH

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed this, but failed to love it as I had hoped. It does make a nice entry point for those interested in martial arts cinema.

3/5

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I really enjoyed this too. Lots of action and humor. Is it me or is Jackie Chan's English improving? Or is speaking it with other Chinese actors struggling to speak English just makes him more comprehensable? :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Finally caught this on BD. I approached it with some uncertainty but wound up enjoying it quite a bit. As a martial arts movie geek I could identify with the enthusiasm of the main character and appreciated the film's many small homages to kung fu flicks. A major one was to the classic "Come Drink with Me", which I just happened to see last week. That movie starred Cheng Pei Pei (who played Jade Fox in "Crouching Tiger...") as a character named Golden Swallow. Although there's no back story similarity between the Golden Sparrow in "The Forbidden Kingdom" and Golden Swallow in "Come Drink with Me," there are some nice tips of the hat with her use of twin daggers and her "Come drink with me." line in the finale. These kinds of concrete nods are what I was hoping to see more of in "Kung Fu Panda," but it wound up going more for the spirit or sensibility of martial arts films than paying direct tribute to them. Either way it turned out to be a nice summer for us kung fu movie geeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonjabe33
Recent bookmarks