What's new

The Fog (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Anyone else disappointed in this "new" version. The picture looks as good on VHS, and most of the 5.1 sound comes through the front speaker. Brutal. Too bad, I'm a big Carpenter fan.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I thought The Fog looked better on DVD than it ever has (including the widescreen laser) and probably about as good as it ever will. The 5.1 remix respected the low-budget original; anyone expecting sonic magic from a low-budget 80s "B" picture is bound to be disappointed.

M.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was very pleased with this DVD and agree that this is as good as it has ever looked on home video, the 5.1 mix is in the same spirit as the film, subtle and creepy. My hat's off to MGM.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I have to agree... I was thrilled with this disc. I thought they did a great job on it considering it was really a low-budget horror. Matter of fact I was thinking its about time for me to watch this one again :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have never had a better copy of The Fog as the new DVD. I have owned this movie several times and i do belive it couldnt look better. You should have seen how bad it looked on laserdisc, or worse..how unwatchable it looked panned and scanned. I wish carpenter could still make em as good.

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
Comparied with the collector's edition on LASER-this new dvd
is clearly superior in both sound and picture. Probably the best it can be.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
My only complaint with this disc is the exclusion of the isolated score which is on the laserdisc. Otherwise, I think the disc looks and sounds great considering the films budget.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you have a bad disc??? It's happened...

Mine looks superb and most of the reviews have been very positive.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Since they remixed it from the original mono, that makes sense
[James picks up large, personal soapbox and moves it to the center of the room. Carefully he climbs on top and proceeds to quieten the forum 'rabble' by hitting a spoon against his wine glass repeatedly. Once he is happy that everyone has his attention he clears his throat loudly.]
And they kept the original mono soundtrack on the DVD. Well done MGM!
[without saying another word, James carefully jumps down from his personal soapbox and picks it up, taking it to dark and damp corner of the room where he disappears into the shadows, happy that his point has been made.]

Doug Smith

Second Unit
C'mon guys - this DVD sucks! I'm a gigantic Carpenter fan - I menan The Thing is one of my favourite movies - "they're mnot Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian". I agree it was a "b" movie bu should we suffer with with lousy transfer?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but what exactly is wrong with the transfer, Doug? You haven't said much other than "it sucks", "it's lousy".
Video transfer
The colours are rich and the picture is quite sharp. There is some noticable grain, but the film has always had grain and softness during the fog scenes. The pitch black scenes have never been clearer.
Audio
The original mono is very well preserved. The spooky ambiance feel better than ever. The the 5.1 remix embellishes the subtle mono mix quite well, and thankfully, is not a 'modernized' 5.1 mix - it represents the film's audio well, yet adds a new, subtle dimension of its own.
Extra features
The original 1979 featurette is quite interesting. Even better is the new 28-minute documentary. The commentary from the Laserdisc is very informative and amusing. The outtakes are a lot of fun and the trailers and TV spots retain their classic 'old style' feel.
I paid $17.00 for my copy and it is available for less than that! A bargain? More like a semi-hand-out! :emoji_thumbsup:
Now, state your case, of which you are certain, Doug! :D
Gordy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
yeah Doug it seems that you are in the minority here.
The new 28 minute documentary is simply breathtaking along with the film itself.
Next Carpenter film I will pick up is Assualt on Precinct 13
:D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Yes, the transfer isn't exactly gonna bother AOTC but what can you realistically expect? It looks better than any previous release and the 5.1 track is nice and subtle - aside from those car horns blaring at the beginning which jolted me out of my seat! And let's hope MGM are also putting quality time in with Escape From New York. 2003 will be a good year for Carpenter completists, what with another version of Halloween and the re-release of AOP13.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Sorry Doug, I must agree with everyone else here. I saw a 35mm print of it not too long ago, and the DVD captured the look of this film very well. In fact, the contrast on the DVD was even better than the print I was watching, which had faded due to age.

-Lyle J.P.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Can you list some specific reasons why you thought it sucked, Doug? Was it the black level, too much grain, colors washed out, too muddy? Give us something to work with here.

Personally I think the disc is great. I've never owned this film prior to this dvd, but I used to rent it on tape(forgive me) quite often years ago and have watched it on the Superstation many times and this dvd is nowhere near as bad as either of those! I can't imagine a better representation of the film.

H

Hank

The transfer is great for a film this old. The Thing on the other hand needs some major improving.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think it looks and sounds fantastic!!!
I've heard others complain about the Thing as well. I dont have a 16x9 Tv and to me it looks amazing. I thought the LD looked great- my jaw dropped when I saw it years back.
I dont understand how people can be disappointed by these discs after looking at muddy murky P&S VHS copies for soooooooooooo long :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks