What's new

THE FOG Remake (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dunno if this was mentioned but Latino review had a look at the script for the remake:

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptre...og/review.html

and I didn't like this bit either:

Just what we need more of, needLESS CGI and according to the script review, the opening ghost story is gone. Instead of allowing the audience to think and IMAGINE what happened, they'll just show it. Yippee.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
My enthusiasm is rapidly disappearing. :frowning:

EDIT: Alright, I just read that review and I have to say that at this point, I don't have a huge problem with the story, they seemed to have kept it intact (except for the changed opening) for the most part. HOWEVER, it's how it will be executed that concerns me.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's possible to have more gore and still get a PG-13. I don't think the original version would get more than a PG-13 if it were released today. What was R then certainly isn't now in terms of violence.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
From the picture it sure looks like Blake is in a pirate ship. I suspect there will be a correction eventually. IMDB has an Adrian Hough playing Father Bobby Malone.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure professor cardboard will provide a lot of nice eye-candy in the new film... not much else. Perhaps he'll mix it up and try to have an actual expression...

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder what John Carpenter would think of a statement like that? That's pretty harsh criticism coming from a second rate actor. He could have just said that we're paying homage to an already great original, but no, he had to make trashy statements about it.

(I'm refering to the Tom Welling remark about the original The Fog)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Carpenter is just cashing in because they are remaking a movie that he originally made 20 something years ago.
What did Tom say exactly? I missed that.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Welling:

It doesn't upset me as much as some. I think it was just a clumsy way of saying that modern audiences are less willing to suspend their disbelief in regard to obvious effects. It's probably true, but as I said earlier, it's the modern audience member's loss if he can't overlook a rubber suit or a rocket ship on a string and just enjoy the movie.

By the way, I haven't watched the Fog since right after it came out on DVD, but it didn't seem dated to me.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
What he said it true, most people won't watch older films.

My wife doesnt care much for anything made before the Breakfast Club. She was bored with Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Star Wars OT movies, but enjoyed the PT movies. But I think Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor and something to do with that.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
The reason I don't mind remakes some of the time is that I feel it sometimes gets people to go out and rent the original that they normally wouldn't do. I know there's been a few cases in which I've seen a movie, hadn't even realized that it was a remake and then go out and discover the original film. It also produces new Special Edition filled DVDs for the originals.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Just saw my first trailer for the remake before Red Eye, it doesn't look too bad, if the film can hold up to the trailer, we may have something here, folks.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Here's the trailer for those that are interested: The Fog.

I don't know...I can't say one way or the other without actually seeing it but I'll tell you one thing it seems to be missing, Carpenter's great pulse pounding synth score.

.....well....that and large natural breasts.;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, tough not to miss the JC score. Have we heard one way or another about that for the film itself?

Otherwise the trailer implies that while some of the scares will be a little bit more aggressive/action oriented, it also looks to maintain a ghost/creepy theme to it.

After Dawn of the Dead I remain ever hopeful for other horror remakes. As for the casting, apart from the already stated change for the worse ;) I think the fact that the cast is more low key is a good sign.

It also has to be a bit of a positive that Stigmata was more of a creepy "horror" film than cheap, crap gore. At least we know that Wainwright might be predisposed to stay in that area with the material.

And the mid-October release date has to be a decent sign. It's not like they reeled it back in to SEPT or bailed on it till JAN/FEB.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I seriously doubt it will have anything reminiscent of Carpenter's original score, if only because I can't think of any remakes in recent times that retained the original's score, not even Assault did that and that was a very well liked & remembered score.

BTW, I don't have a real preference for breast size at all....I love em all as long as they're real (but that's me) , it just personally struck me so funny that the three main characters in the original (Curtis, Barbeau & Leigh) were all rather busty women and in the remake it seems that none are...I don't know...I guess they were better fed back then.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks