Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's now been longer since the 1986 version than it was between the original and the Cronenberg movie, so I have no issue with another remake - other than the fact it makes me feel OLD!

Yeah! ;)

It's a good story so who knows. Cronenbergs The Fly is imo a classic now much better than the '58 original which was fun I thought but a bit silly.

Cronenberg's version reimagined as a tragic love story is still a powerful visceral film today. Love it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I think a lot of it is geared toward the special effects aspect of things. For a lot of these movies, SFX consisted of matte painting, rubber suits, etc. Back then things looked quite convincing, but still had that "fake, "oh it's a rubber dummy" kind of look that took you out of the movie.

Now, movie studios can almost reproduce a human actor via CGI. Not 100% perfect, but getting close. Not to mention their ability to create SO many more things that appear to actual physical objects, but are just CGI.

So I can see why they want to "remimagine" these creature features and other SFX heavy movies of the past, it's mainly because they can incorporate many things into the movies "world" that look so lifelike or real.

Of course the flip side is many studios want to shoot for a big money grab and pick the lowest hanging fruit that will (hopefully for them) make them a boatload of cash.

Look, sometimes I too shake my head and say "REALLY!, another remake!?" but once in a while, they surprise me and pull it off and at times, surpass the original.

Doubt I'll pay to see this Fly version in the theater, but may rent it one day when it hits the $1 blu ray bin.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail - "Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

I am simply DONE with all of the effing remakes. I read this morning that The Matrix is ALSO getting a remake. :rolleyes:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
This reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail - "Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

I am simply DONE with all of the effing remakes. I read this morning that The Matrix is ALSO getting a remake. :rolleyes:

What? :eek: That's got to be a troll. That would be like Star Wars getting a remake. :huh:

Not that I'm comparing The Matrix to Star Wars, just that it's not the type of movie that could be remade.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I read this morning that The Matrix is ALSO getting a remake. :rolleyes:
That's hilarious and sad. If the public rejects something so dumb, Warners may learn an expensive lesson. If, as I suspect, people say "Cool, more Matrix! I hate new things, give me the same thing over and over again!", Warners will make a bunch of money by giving the people what they want.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What? :eek: That's got to be a troll. That would be like Star Wars getting a remake. :huh:

Not that I'm comparing The Matrix to Star Wars, just that it's not the type of movie that could be remade.
I thought The Force Awakens was the Star Wars remake... sure felt, and looked, like it.

The thing with all these remakes is they might stop if people just didn't go see them. I've yet to figure out who the audience is as all of them seem rather pointless.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah! ;)

It's a good story so who knows. Cronenbergs The Fly is imo a classic now much better than the '58 original which was fun I thought but a bit silly.

Cronenberg's version reimagined as a tragic love story is still a powerful visceral film today. Love it.

Yeah, the 1986 "Fly" is really something more than just a horror flick.

If the HTF had been around 31 years ago, would those old fogies have been bitching about the 1986 "Fly"? :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
For me, it's like The Thing. I can't really complain about another remake when the version I think is the best is also a remake. And much like The Thing, I can't imagine The Fly remake topping the first remake.

Agree - the 1986 "Fly" seems pretty hard to top.

No harm in giving it a new spin, though!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's hilarious and sad. If the public rejects something so dumb, Warners may learn an expensive lesson. If, as I suspect, people say "Cool, more Matrix! I hate new things, give me the same thing over and over again!", Warners will make a bunch of money by giving the people what they want.
I thought The Force Awakens was the Star Wars remake... sure felt, and looked, like it.
The thing with all these remakes is they might stop if people just didn't go see them. I've yet to figure out who the audience is as all of them seem rather pointless.
As it stands now, the film industry won't take a chance on something new and different. They make the same thing over and over because it is safe. And the ones that we really like, that become extremely popular, follow the Lowery mantra of MAYA (Most Advanced, Yet Acceptable). Just different enough, but not too different than what's been seen before.
Today's remakes are just monomyths taken to extremes. And we all suffer for it.

Or maybe not, what do I know?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Agree - the 1986 "Fly" seems pretty hard to top.

No harm in giving it a new spin, though!

If they want to remake it, fine, it's not like the previous versions go away. But I also agree that there's virtually no chance it will top the Cronenberg version (I wonder if it would even be better than The Fly II, that while flawed was still kind of a gooey and fun monster movie). It seems like it's really rare that studios would take a chance on the film like the 86 version anymore. I have to imagine that We'll be getting a mostly CGI creature. Probably will have younger audience type actors and good chance it will be PG-13 (as seems to be the trend of originally R rated 80's film remakes).

One thing I was thinking though, even though I already feel jaded by the "all female cast remake" I think it would be an interesting twist if the titular character was female this time.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The problem I have with the remake rut is that all of those resources, both money and talent are being sucked into a black hole that we've visited before. Imagine what could be accomplished if those same resources were free to work on creative NEW projects?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

They already did a remake of Star Wars. It was called "A Force Awakens". People can dispute it, but that film was nothing but a remake at the core.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks