What's new

The Florida Project (2017)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Title: The Florida Project (2017)

Tagline: Welcome to a magical kingdom

Genre: Drama

Director: Sean Baker

Cast: Brooklynn Prince, Bria Vinaite, Willem Dafoe, Valeria Cotto, Christopher Rivera, Mela Murder, Caleb Landry Jones, Aiden Malik, Macon Blair, Sabina Friedman-Seitz, Karren Karagulian, Sandy Kane, Carl Bradfield, Gary B. Gross, Sonya McCarter, Josie Olivo, Rosa Medina Perez, Jasineia Ramos, Kit Sullivan, Patti Wiley, Jason Blackwater, Jim R. Coleman, Kelly Fitzgerald, Krystal Gordon, Betty Jeune, Joanne Moreno, Lauren O'Quinn, Edward Pagan, Samantha Parisi, Cecilia Quinan, Shail Kamini Ramcharan, Giovanni Rodriguez, Adina Sutton, Bronwyn Valley

Release: 2017-10-06

Runtime: 111

Plot: The story of a precocious six year-old and her ragtag group of friends whose summer break is filled with childhood wonder, possibility and a sense of adventure while the adults around them struggle with hard times.

Anyone else dying to see this?

I love Oscar season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to see this but I figured it was going to be out near me by now if it was coming. I guess if Willem Dafoe gets a nomination, it will play at my local theater.

I will just have to wait patiently. I'm sure it will play at my local 20 screen cinema in about a month or two.
Had my favorite local foreign/indy cinema stayed open(two screens) I would have seen this weeks ago.
They always got my favorite films months before the "Oscar Buzz".
It is really sad.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm actually going to stay at that hotel for one night next May. I know it's a dump, but after seeing the film I thought it might be interesting.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Here's a film where you don't follow a central narrative or story, but the seemingly random scenes all accumulate to create one by the time you get to the end. It works. But it never would have worked without the devastatingly great little actress Sean Baker found and built this around - Brooklynn Price as Moonee. Wow. A marvel.

That ending (no spoiler here) by the way was from 'stolen' footage - meaning they shot it completely without permission and unauthorized. If that tantalizes more viewing, so be it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Here's a film where you don't follow a central narrative or story, but the seemingly random scenes all accumulate to create one by the time you get to the end. It works. But it never would have worked without the devastatingly great little actress Sean Baker found and built this around - Brooklynn Price as Moonee. Wow. A marvel.

That ending (no spoiler here) by the way was from 'stolen' footage - meaning they shot it completely without permission and unauthorized. If that tantalizes more viewing, so be it.
Guerrilla shooting in the innards of a mouse...

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw this. Great movie. Willem Dafoe got a nomination but that little girl should have been nominated for an Oscar.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I watched this last night.

I am in total agreement with everyone hear that the little girl is so natural in this role. Unbelievably natural. She behaved like a real young girl would behave if placed in her situation. That's not something you see everyday. The only miscue in her dialogue came at the very end when she was talking to her girl friend before they ran off.

Dafoe was fine. Good, maybe. But he really didn't have all that much to do.

The film plays out more like a documentary than a scripted drama. There were a lot of pauses and long drawn-out shots in which nothing happens. I see that some think these serve to set a tone. I thought they dragged the pacing.

I cared about the characters and was curious about what was going to happen. But after 1:50 of cinema-verite-style realism of life on the Orlando strip, the film jumps to a fantasy ending that was jarringly out of place (for us). Then fade to black and credits and I started yelling at my plasma.

The bonus features indicated that the director was making major plot changes on the fly as shooting progressed. I am left to wonder if he didn't have the ending well thought out. To have the girl be able to so easily escape the clutches of the laughably inept Florida DFS seemed rather implausible. And then, of course, to have the two girls get from the strip to their final location in less than a day's time is impossible (for a number of reasons)--hence fantasy.

I didn't like it...which is too bad because I was invested in these character's lives/situations and wanted to know how things played out. At one point ear the end Peg commented to me about hoping they didn't conclude things with the girl's mother all-the-sudden being turned into mother of the year. But I think this conclusion was worse.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hated this film.

And you were so optimistic in the OP! :D

I hate when that kind of disappointment happens.

Did you hate it for the same reasons as me? At first, I kept saying to Peg that it was dragging from lack of action. But then I figured they were painting a picture of "everyday life" for the kids. So I was kinda okay with the slow pace and the development of the situation. But that ending was ridiculous.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And you were so optimistic in the OP! :D

I hate when that kind of disappointment happens.

Did you hate it for the same reasons as me? At first, I kept saying to Peg that it was dragging from lack of action. But then I figured they were painting a picture of "everyday life" for the kids. So I was kinda okay with the slow pace and the development of the situation. But that ending was ridiculous.

I couldn't get into Willem Dafoe's character(the reason I was anxious to see it). Plus the ending was poor, and the story was barely mediocre. Just a waste of time for me.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The little girls start running to escape the CPS, and then there is a leap to her fantasy world of Disney. The reality is that the girl will be caught and sent away. There is no Disney in her future.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I "got" the ending. I just didn't like the ending.

The film portrayed no fantasy sequences for the girl during the entire film. Instead, it bent over backward to pportray the gritty reality of her existence--based on her circumstances. So to have an out-of-the-blue fantasy sequence tacked onto the end of the film didn't work for me.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Embrywool
Recent bookmarks