What's new

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
Wow! Took advantage of the Amazon deal on Sunday night, and here it is in my hands early Tuesday afternoon. My thanks to WB, Amazon, and, of course, HTF for this blessing. I'll have to pay more attention to this thread for the upcoming details on the disc exchange.

Wiseguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Same here. The seasons I liked when a kid I like now. The ones I disliked as a kid I still dislike. I generally watch up until Pebbles is born. After that it becomes somewhat iffy for the most part and after Bam-Bam arrives it becomes practically unwatchable.
I've always seen the name written as Bamm-Bamm. (Check the "Little Bamm-Bamm" episode title.)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Down to $40.99. For anyone that might still be on the fence about this, I can't imagine it ever getting much cheaper than that.

Scroll back to post #47 of this thread where you can find an Amazon link to the product page, which supports the HTF since they're an Amazon Associate and will earn a little bit from qualifying purchases such as this one.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Down to $40.99. For anyone that might still be on the fence about this, I can't imagine it ever getting much cheaper than that.

Scroll back to post #47 of this thread where you can find an Amazon link to the product page, which supports the HTF since they're an Amazon Associate and will earn a little bit from qualifying purchases such as this one.

Well, crap. I had to pull the trigger at that price. I never got around to getting the series on dvd, so I guess I shouldn’r feel too bad even though I swore no new purchases in 2020.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
You can add me to the list of buyers pulling the trigger at the 40.99 price.

I have the original dvds, which I paid more for than this Bluray set, but one can't go wrong at getting the upgrade in quality at this price.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Amazon will price match after having already bought this set from them at the higher price?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wonder if Amazon will price match after having already bought this set from them at the higher price?

I would bet if you wrote customer service they would credit you the amount.

I thought about it. However, for $4, I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it.

It's just a matter of how much work you want to put into writing that email to customer support.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron, for me it would be a $20 savings that would be great to apply to another blu ray set. :). So yes, it might be worth the effort.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Ron, for me it would be a $20 savings that would be great to apply to another blu ray set. :). So yes, it might be worth the effort.

Okay, my perspective changed. The Flintstones went on sale, I think, 5-6 days ago. It was $44.95. Then it dropped like $4 over the past day.

So, I thought you wanted to negotiate the $4 drop.

The $20 drop? That's more difficult. Only if you bought it a few days before it made that $20 drop.

I dunno. What would it hurt to contact Amazon support? Let us know how you make out.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I wasn't planning on buying this, but at $44.98 I got some thinkin' to do...

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Widget will not reflect current sale price

i bit at that price

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
WOW, and I thought under $70 CDN on Amazon.ca was low! Still, considering the DVD series sets (Complete with the mixed single and double sided disc nightmare~No thanks!) were often priced well above that, no complaints. Besides, it was our son who ordered this for my wife for Christmas, who has long been a huge Flintstones Fan!

YABBA DABBA DOO!! :lol:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I grew up watching the Flintstones and have never stopped loving them. The fact that it was a prime time show helps. The writing was up to any sitcom. I have watched the DVDS 3 times each and I am now enjoying the blu rays. The blu rays are night and day over the DVDs. This stands out as something I would include in a top 10 best upgrades over DVD list.
Considering we never went all in on the DVD sets (Only having purchased Season 4), I feel even more vindicated in mostly holding out, now. Every time I got close to biting, being reminded that some of the DVDs were double sided always stopped me from getting the Complete Series Set. It'll be fantastic to view these episodes in uncut, Blu-ray quality!

My only wishes are THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE (1966) was in HD (The "Wilma Torch" Columbia logo would have also been a nice bonus!), and perhaps one of the Harry Cordern voiced Flintstones Christmas Specials had been included, instead of the WWE All Stars Movie, as I know the Mrs. would have very much enjoyed the former, and will almost certainly have absolute zero interest in the latter! If I'm wrong about this, I'll down a charred Brontosaurus Burger!! :lol:

CHEERS! :)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
My only wishes are THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE (1966) was in HD (The "Wilma Torch" Columbia logo would have also been a nice bonus!), and perhaps one of the Harry Cordern voiced Flintstones Christmas Specials had been included, instead of the WWE All Stars Movie, as I know the Mrs. would have very much enjoyed the former, and will almost certainly have absolute zero interest in the latter! If I'm wrong about this, I'll down a charred Brontosaurus Burger!! :lol:

The WWE movie is very good. The story is A-typical Fred Flintstone at his rock best. The surprise to me on the Flintstones/WWE movie is that it was originally released in the Blu-ray format and DVD and the presentation in this set is the 480p definition, not the HD quality Blu-ray.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The WWE movie is very good. The story is A-typical Fred Flintstone at his rock best. The surprise to me on the Flintstones/WWE movie is that it was originally released in the Blu-ray format and DVD and the presentation in this set is the 480p definition, not the HD quality Blu-ray.
I appreciate your opinion, Greg. We will be waiting until Christmas to view any episodes, let alone the movies, at any rate. It's too bad neither of The Flintstones Features are in HD quality, and a bit bizarre that the previously issued in HD WWE movie is also in SD format. My only guess as to why could be because it was thought even one of the Features presented in HD would have been pushing the envelope for the main episode content, compression wise?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I appreciate your opinion, Greg. We will be waiting until Christmas to view any episodes, let alone the movies, at any rate. It's too bad neither of The Flintstones Features are in HD quality, and a bit bizarre that the previously issued in HD WWE movie is also in SD format. My only guess as to why could be because it was thought even one of the Features presented in HD would have been pushing the envelope for the main episode content, compression wise?

Here is some irony, Tony, that comes around full circle. When the Flintstones/WWE movie was released on Blu-ray, it had about three Flintstones episodes from Season 1 and Season 2 and those episodes were in standard definition as well. So, the feature presentation was in high definition and the Flintstones bonus episodes were standard definition. Ironic now on the Blu-ray set that the episodes are high definition and the bonus feature is standard definition. The only time WHV splurged was on a Blu-ray set was for BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES COMPLETE SERIES set. They included as bonus features the films MASK OF THE PHASTASM and SUB-ZERO and both films were also in high definition.

Like you said, why couldn't both films on the Flintstones set be in high definition as well.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here is some irony, Tony, that comes around full circle. When the Flintstones/WWE movie was released on Blu-ray, it had about three Flintstones episodes from Season 1 and Season 2 and those episodes were in standard definition as well. So, the feature presentation was in high definition and the Flintstones bonus episodes were standard definition. Ironic now on the Blu-ray set that the episodes are high definition and the bonus feature is standard definition. The only time WHV splurged was on a Blu-ray set was for BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES COMPLETE SERIES set. They included as bonus features the films MASK OF THE PHASTASM and SUB-ZERO and both films were also in high definition.

Like you said, why couldn't both films on the Flintstones set be in high definition as well.
Last night, I took a good hard look at the running times for both movies. With the WWE movie running time at 51 minutes, and the 89 minute A MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE (1966) in SD, I reckon the former could have been done in HD and the 13 Episodes on Disc 10 would still likely be no more compressed than the Episodes on all of the other Blu-rays. Of course, since that would then make the latter's SD quality stand out even more, perhaps both Movies could have both been presented in HD on an 11th disc, with some Flintstones vintage commercials and other extras that weren't ported over from the DVD series set presented on the 10th Blu-ray Disc?

Merely the stuff of post release speculation, at this point.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Ooh, I didn't like the WWE thing at all!

From my review:

"Just because Smackdown exists as a product to promote two separate properties doesn’t mean it needs to stink. For instance, Rock and Roll Mystery paired rock band Kiss and the Scooby-Doo gang for a surprisingly fun adventure.

Smackdown doesn’t match up with that moderately enjoyable tale, and it never finds a groove. It lacks real cleverness and turns into a dull, humor-free experience.

Weak voice acting doesn’t help. Maybe if I’d not just watched 20 episodes of the original series, I might’ve adapted to the new actors, but they all seemed mediocre to bad.

Do “replacement” voice performers need to strive to emulate their predecessors? Maybe not as carbon copies, but they need to come close enough to let us forget they’re not the old actors.

That doesn’t happen here, though some come closer than others. Bergman manages a passable Fred, but Richardson develops a terrible Barney, with a weirdly nasal tone that doesn’t work. Richardson sounds more like the Teutonic voiced Barney adapts in the “Flintstone Flyer” episode than “regular Barney”.

As talented as they are, Tress MacNeille and Grey Griffin don’t create good versions of Wilma and Betty, respectively. The WWE wrestlers mail in their performances, and all of this adds up to a wholly forgettable animated tale."

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ooh, I didn't like the WWE thing at all!
"Just because Smackdown exists as a product to promote two separate properties doesn’t mean it needs to stink.

Also, it seems to be animated in Warner/CN's passive-aggressive "Retro-kitsch" style, as Warner still hasn't exorcised all their old 00's studio demons of trying to make vintage 60's-70's Hanna-Barbera look like Ren & Stimpy-style hipster-animated parody.

They're still doing it, they've just forgotten WHY they're still doing it, even when they're trying to promote the H-B house brand again rather than school-bully it off their network.

Bergman manages a passable Fred, but Richardson develops a terrible Barney, with a weirdly nasal tone that doesn’t work. Richardson sounds more like the Teutonic voiced Barney adapts in the “Flintstone Flyer” episode than “regular Barney”.

"Ja, und I bet vun of them is babysitting a zick friend--"
(claps hand over mouth) "...Don't you know when to quit??"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoBueno