Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I look forward to the set. Would be interesting if the vitamin and cigarette commercials had been included.
For everyone that brags about the cigarette (and beer) commercials, the Flintstones had a lot of sponsors:
Welch's Grape had been a longtime sponsor--anyone remember those Flintstones jelly-jar glasses?--but also Skippy peanut-butter.
And as the show moves into Seasons 4 and 5, notice how many lines we get of Wilma packing peanut-butter sandwiches for picnics, and about how Pebbles just loves her grape juice...

I haven't seen (Yellow Submarine) since I was a kid. It's been so long, there's kind of a mystique about it for me. Should I revisit? I've grown to truly love the Beatles music as I've gotten older.
Absolutely: It not only looks amazing on Blu--thanks to a DVD restoration overhaul in '00--but experienced adults can appreciate how much the script captures the Beatles' "Hard Day's Night" movie humor, even with the movie's Faux Four.

(In the Sea of Holes)
John: "This place reminds me of Blackburn, Lancashire."
Paul: "Oh, boy..."

Last edited:

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hanna-Barbera and Screen Gems had a distribution deal in place from 1957 to about 1974. Screen Gems helped sell and distribute H-B product. Both of the films HEY THERE IT'S YOGI BEAR and THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE were originally distributed by Columbia Pictures. When the distribution deal expired, H-B could look to other avenues to distribute material (i.e., World Vision).
They must have had a deal for longer than that for some of the shows or how else do you explain how a 1980s Columbia logo ended up on Huckleberry Hound?

Museum Pieces

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Skylar
I loved this show when I was a kid but watching it now it's so blatantly sexist and Fred is such an a-hole. That said, I still have a soft spot for it. My DVDs will do me fine. Happy for fans who are excited about the Blu-ray. Hopefully they'll replace the bungled audio soon.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

SFMike

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Sad when there are so many other worthy projects waiting in the wings for blu-ray release. :huh:

• Disagree
Reactions: LeoA

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have just looked at my set imported from US to me in Australia, There is music with the opening title after the Berry and Wilma(Episode 17) intro but the rest is dialogue only and no other sound effects or music so I assume I have a misencoded disc to re-place. I seem to remember when there were other Blu Rays as such there was a Ms Bogart who handled this at Warner Bros. I recall a couple of ones such as the Batman set. The service was prompt on one and the other I had to remind her as she overlooked it. Couldn't complain.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I wish someone would put out John Kricfalusi's LD of the first 14 episodes. It was one of the best LDs produced. Made quite a profit on that when I sold my large collection.

Reactions: Timothy E

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I loved this show when I was a kid but watching it now it's so blatantly sexist and Fred is such an a-hole. That said, I still have a soft spot for it. My DVDs will do me fine. Happy for fans who are excited about the Blu-ray. Hopefully they'll replace the bungled audio soon.
It was meant to be a satire/homage to Jackie Gleason's The Honeymooners. And Ralph Kramden (Fred Flintstone nee Flagstone) and Ed Norton (Barney Rubble) were extremely sexist on the show. Just as in The Honeymooners, the wives usually bail the two guys out.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
It was meant to be a satire/homage to Jackie Gleason's The Honeymooners. And Ralph Kramden (Fred Flintstone nee Flagstone) and Ed Norton (Barney Rubble) were extremely sexist on the show. Just as in The Honeymooners, the wives usually bail the two guys out.
There's even flat-out tributes to The Honeymooners in a few episodes:
In one episode, Fred loses a game of Scrabble to Arnold the newsboy, and complains, "He kept making up words, like 'Esoteric', and 'Polopponies'..."
Wilma: "That's 'Polo ponies'!"

And I've heard some fans who just don't like watching Honeymooners, since they found Ralph's "One a' these days, Alice!" a little too angry-trigger compared to Fred's empty bluster, even though we knew both were complete teddy-bears.
Both would joke about sending their wives To Da Moon after one of her wisecracks, but Fred & Wilma were clearly more affectionate, and we knew the two lugs cared about each other.

(Now, the Top Cat v. Sgt. Bilko or Jetsons v. Blondie comparisons, OTOH...)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
"Each disc begins with a mandatory 20 second disclaimer to remind us that these shows were produced in a different era of norms and standards."

Isn't it sad that people have to be told that things were different 60 years ago? It would be insulting if it weren't necessary because the uneducated (and I consider you uneducated if you can't understand that 1960 is not 2020) can't understand that societies change over decades and centuries, and that art reflects the time in which it was created in ways both good and bad.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Isn't it sad that people have to be told that things were different 60 years ago? It would be insulting if it weren't necessary because the uneducated (and I consider you uneducated if you can't understand that 1960 is not 2020) can't understand that societies change over decades and centuries, and that art reflects the time in which it was created in ways both good and bad.
This is probably not meant for older folks.

Such disclaimers are more likely for younger folks who don't have any sense of history. Younger folks who either don't read and/or never learned anything historical in school.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Also as a general CYA ("cover your ass") measure, to minimize current or future criticism. Or at least until the first batch of bluray sets are sold out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My copy of The Flintstones arrived Friday. I have not played it yet. I was just going to say how I wish Amazon would use boxes again. Or at least use some cardboard around the blu ray box when using the envelopes. My copy arrived with the corners slightly dinged. I managed to burnish the cardboard back into shape. Though the creases is still in the cardboard. I know for most people the dings are minor. It just drives me crazy.

Next step is to try to get on the list for the replacement disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
@Nelson Au you might want to look into ordering from Bull Moose, an indie retailer from New England. Free shipping after $35 I think, and while it may not be as fast or as inexpensive as Amazon can be, their only business is selling movies and music and they know how to package them well. I’ve never gotten anything in less than pristine condition from them.

I’ve also noticed that Best Buy will generally use boxes or thick cardboard mailers.

If someone is releasing an item where I worry about shipping, lately I’ve been going to those two merchants over Amazon.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh-

Thanks for the two suggestions for alternate places to buy discs. I have bought blu ray sets from Best Buy and they are usually fairly fast and they do box the items. I ordered the Back to the Future set from them. It should arrive tomorrow. I should have got The Flintstones from them too! I’ll look into Bull Moose! I’m not familiar with them.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
"Each disc begins with a mandatory 20 second disclaimer to remind us that these shows were produced in a different era of norms and standards."
Isn't it sad that people have to be told that things were different 60 years ago?
It's the EXACT SAME 20 second pre-menu disclaimer that shows up on Warner's Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry collections, which makes it basically studio policy for vintage toons, rather than any particular social criticism of "racism" in the Prowler episode.

And I'm only a few episodes into Disk 1, but episodes look good so far--The cold-opening intros seem to be intact, from the old DVD prints, although Wilma still seems to be missing a mouth in the S1-2 end credits. :)
Apart from the obvious replacement-disk episode, where do the complaints start, so I can check them out early?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
They must have had a deal for longer than that for some of the shows or how else do you explain how a 1980s Columbia logo ended up on Huckleberry Hound?

Is this real, or some You Tube creation?

Reason I ask is -- I know for a long time certain Hanna-Barbera properties -- Flintstones, Jetsons, Huck/Yogi and company, Magilla/Potamus -- were still with Columbia Pictures Television as late as the early 1980s. (IIRC Flintstones and Jetsons were sub-licensed to DFS Program Exchange for a time.) But in 1985, Huck and Yogi joined USA Network's "Cartoon Express" and I am almost certain I read that deal was with Worldvision. This same Huck closing (with Hokey and Yakky) was shown at the end of most of the shows (others had the Yogi close) with no distributor logo, but clearly sourced from 35mm transferred to video.

Many years later I saw this same Huck closing a few times on Boomerang, looking much as it does here, in sort of "work print" quality. I wonder if someone captured that version (as I did) and combined it with a 1980s or 1990s CPT logo.

(Getting off the subject a little, around 8 or 9 years ago I was trying to fill in the gaps in my collection from Boomerang showings, and once in a while they'd slip in a couple Huck bumpers, a Huck or Yogi show open or close, and most bizarre, a 1980s intro for the syndicated "Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera" with costumed versions of Huck, Yogi and Quick Draw in the control room of a TV studio, on video. It included references to the series featured on that show, but was kind of a "non-sequitur" the way they used it, since it wasn't followed by any of those shows. But I digress.)

There is a whole genre of crazy You Tube "fantasy" posts like "what if X show was distributed by Y company" and stuff. This could be one of those. If it actually is legit, it may kind of re-write history.

(I'm not an "expert" on Columbia Pictures Television logos. I know by 1977 they were using the "sunburst" logo which appeared at the end of "Fred Flintstone And Friends," and the same one was on "Barney Miller" and IIRC "Carson's Comedy Classics." I'm not sure exactly
when they reintroduced the "torch lady," and at first it retained the same music as heard here. But "a unit of the Coca-Cola Company" I think is later, like around 1986-ish, right?)

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: MatthewA

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Besides which -- not everyone chooses to take personal offense at things in movies and TV shows produced before they were born. Not everyone feels the same way about that stuff, some understand historical context, some aren't interested one way or another, but corporations have to assume viewers are tuning in immediately after coming out of a "woke" classroom and err on the side of caution lest they be the subject of protests, boycotts or worse. It's sad.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Is this real, or some You Tube creation?

Reason I ask is -- I know for a long time certain Hanna-Barbera properties -- Flintstones, Jetsons, Huck/Yogi and company, Magilla/Potamus -- were still with Columbia Pictures Television as late as the early 1980s. (IIRC Flintstones and Jetsons were sub-licensed to DFS Program Exchange for a time.) But in 1985, Huck and Yogi joined USA Network's "Cartoon Express" and I am almost certain I read that deal was with Worldvision. This same Huck closing (with Hokey and Yakky) was shown at the end of most of the shows (others had the Yogi close) with no distributor logo, but clearly sourced from 35mm transferred to video.

Many years later I saw this same Huck closing a few times on Boomerang, looking much as it does here, in sort of "work print" quality. I wonder if someone captured that version (as I did) and combined it with a 1980s or 1990s CPT logo.

(Getting off the subject a little, around 8 or 9 years ago I was trying to fill in the gaps in my collection from Boomerang showings, and once in a while they'd slip in a couple Huck bumpers, a Huck or Yogi show open or close, and most bizarre, a 1980s intro for the syndicated "Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera" with costumed versions of Huck, Yogi and Quick Draw in the control room of a TV studio, on video. It included references to the series featured on that show, but was kind of a "non-sequitur" the way they used it, since it wasn't followed by any of those shows. But I digress.)

There is a whole genre of crazy You Tube "fantasy" posts like "what if X show was distributed by Y company" and stuff. This could be one of those. If it actually is legit, it may kind of re-write history.

(I'm not an "expert" on Columbia Pictures Television logos. I know by 1977 they were using the "sunburst" logo which appeared at the end of "Fred Flintstone And Friends," and the same one was on "Barney Miller" and IIRC "Carson's Comedy Classics." I'm not sure exactly
when they reintroduced the "torch lady," and at first it retained the same music as heard here. But "a unit of the Coca-Cola Company" I think is later, like around 1986-ish, right?)
It looks real to me. The program and logo are consistent in quality, the film damage and blurry motion look like an early 1980s broadcast off a film chain, and the date in the video headline is consistent both with when Coke bought Columbia (1982 was the year of the buyout, and it was possible for stations still running film chains to just cut the new logo in to replace Screen Gems or the Sunburst) and with your recollection to some of the H-B cartoons still being with CPT at the time. Most of the What-ifs will usually indicate that they aren't actual co-occurrences that happened anywhere else. Most of them are quite obviously so. This one passes the smell test to my 37-year-old nostrils. I wasn't even born for another year, so my first memories of H-B shows are on cable reruns where Worldvision or TPE had the rights. Other than the cartoons based on I Dream of Jeannie and The Partridge Family, I was surprised to learn CPT held onto them as long as they did, even long after Taft claimed ownership of H-B.

Now you've got me wondering what logo the 1981 NBC primetime broadcasts of The Flintstones ended with. Those were on Sundays at 7:30 for a few weeks in the fall to fill a gap in time caused by WGA strike after the Disney show moved to CBS and Paramount's The Powers of Matthew Star, intended for that time slot, got pushed back a year after a major accident on the set*.

*When it did air, it got the Friday Night Death Slot up against The Dukes of Hazzard and Benson instead of the Sunday Night Death Slot.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjenis