LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not sure it's news, but since it was to me, a YouTube reviewer spot checked for me some of the problem episodes with missing teasers and found them to be present. Hopefully the only major issue with missing content for English speakers will be episode #17 and Warner will implement a replacement program.

He also checked the movie. No Wilma holding the torch at the start.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The one bit of solace with the movie I suppose is that it's not even in HD. It would be frustrating if they had fixed the introduction, but we still ended up without the presentation we want due to it being presented in 480i.

Maybe we'll see this one done right eventually, with a standalone Blu-Ray release.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
A bit puzzling that they don't mention the missing audio in I believe episode #17, especially if a post at their forum is correct about one of the included screenshots being from that very episode.

Hard to picture the missing music and sound effects track not being missed, unless he didn't actually watch the episode but just happened to have randomly fired it up when taking screenshots to illustrate the review with (Certainly a possibility and I don't think anyone expects a reviewer to absolutely have covered 100% of a large set such as this prior to writing a review).

Glad to see that the situation is increasingly looking promising with this set. I thought all the doom and gloom was going to happen when episode #17 was messed up. Now if they just issue a replacement disc with that episode corrected, I'll be satisfied.

The real miss looks to have been in the area of the bonus materials. Some good stuff was left off from the DVD's, the wrestling movie doesn't belong here at all, and the presentation for The Man Called Flintstone is disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: moviebuff75

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
A bit puzzling that they don't mention the missing audio in I believe episode #17, especially if a post at their forum is correct about one of the included screenshots being from that very episode.

Hard to picture the missing music and sound effects track not being missed, unless he didn't actually watch the episode but just happened to have randomly fired it up when taking screenshots to illustrate the review with (Certainly a possibility and I don't think anyone expects a reviewer to absolutely have covered 100% of a large set such as this prior to writing a review).

Glad to see that the situation is increasingly looking promising with this set. I thought all the doom and gloom was going to happen when episode #17 was messed up. Now if they just issue a replacement disc with that episode corrected, I'll be satisfied.

The real miss looks to have been in the area of the bonus materials. Some good stuff was left off from the DVD's, the wrestling movie doesn't belong here at all, and the presentation for The Man Called Flintstone is disappointing.
This was another WB fast buck re-release. Time was not spent on making this set the best it could have possibly been.

Reactions: RICK BOND

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find reviewers on that site are often watching a different disc than I am (if they're watching them at all).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If no one objects to a minor sidetrack, can anyone comment on if season 4 and 5 are worth tracking down in their original form on DVD for their bonus content (I said this earlier in the thread, but I only own seasons 1-3 & 6)?

I used to be able to quickly look this stuff up on TVShowsOnDVD.com and form my own opinion on what's listed, but that resource is sadly defunct as a website.

I had hoped everything interesting to the average fan would've been cherry picked and ported to this release, but I gather from forums such as our own that some worthwhile material has been passed over from the original DVD's like commercials from the show's original run.

Last edited:

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
...BAR-ney, my PEB-bles!
(Oh, our generation that had to put up with Henry Cordern as Fred, at every single Saturday-morning commercial break. :unsure: )

If no one objects to a minor sidetrack, can anyone comment on if season 4 and 5 are worth tracking down in their original form on DVD for their bonus content (I said this earlier in the thread, but I only own seasons 1-3 & 6)?
The Season 4 set has some interesting featurettes on the origins of Bamm-Bamm and the Gruesome Family (would you believe both came out of spinoff bit-characters from the old Snooper & Blabber cartoons?), but not sure if it's worth it just for that.

Some Flintstones fans feel the series jumped the shark after Pebbles was born, but there are some good S4 moments.

Reactions: bmasters9

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
...BAR-ney, my PEB-bles!
(Oh, our generation that had to put up with Henry Corden as Fred, at every single Saturday-morning commercial break. :unsure: )
Oh man, he tried just too hard. He was always like Marty McFly playing guitar: he was just too darned loud. In the later shows, when the voices were recast as necessary, Wilma got whiny as well.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
...BAR-ney, my PEB-bles!
(Oh, our generation that had to put up with Henry Cordern as Fred, at every single Saturday-morning commercial break. :unsure: )
And understandably so, because Barney usually came up with some kind of hare-brained scheme to get 'em.

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
There is some News about a Flintstones Bluray Disc 1 Replacement Program has started. Because of the Episode 17 sound problem. The Digital Bits has the news and the web site. I clicked it and Nothing happened. ? :( :unsure: Maybe it's still too early. I don't see any news on here about it yet. My copy is coming Thursday from Amazon.

Wiseguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Honestly, TZ is perfect, to my knowledge. Uncut prints, network bumpers, sponsor tags, pristine quality, original sound mix, all the Rod Serling previews they could find and the correct theme music.
I don't have the BD of The Twilight Zone, but I do have the bare-bones DVD set (which, frankly, is good enough for me. Some of the extras I have from other sources such as the VHS "Treasures of the Twilight Zone" or downloaded from the internet, mostly youtube, including "The Time Element," sponsor billboards, etc.)

But on the set I have, some episodes still don't have the original opening:

"Mr. Denton on Doomsday" has the later "eye" opening (from when CBS reran the episode in late first season) rather than the original "cave" opening. Since the eye opening is much shorter, this also has the effect of shortening the episode.

"A Passage for Trumpet" has the opposite problem. When the phony opening was replaced by the first season opening, apparently CBS did not realize this was originally the first "eye" opening but they used the original opening instead, making this episode longer than it was originally. One way to tell this is that the eye opening episodes had that new "light bulb" starfield at the end; episodes with the original opening had the credit "Animated title by U.P.A" in the closing. "Passage" has no such credit but does have the blinking light bulbs.

Also in many of the episodes that had the phony opening replaced there seems to be a slight dropoff in the audio in between the opening theme and the sound from the episode itself, possibly due to the sound dropping off early in the copy of the opening they used. There also seems to be some leftover stars from the second season opening that are still seen after the "new" original opening fades out.

Somewhat more obscure is the opening episodes of the third season. I remember from the original syndicated run (which was basically unchanged from the CBS run) there were a couple of early third season episodes that still had the second season "sun" opening perhaps because they hadn't finished the new opening yet*. Not sure of what episodes, but I think "The Arrival" was one of them. Of course, in the "new" reruns, VHS and DVD releases, they were replaced with the actual third-season episode opening.

In addition, five of the early episodes had silent mid-episode bumpers. For the DVDs at least CBS dubbed the two-note music over them. The episodes are: "Where is Everybody?," "One for the Angels," "Mr. Denton on Doomsday," "Walking Distance" and "Escape Clause."

*It took awhile to make changes in various third-season areas such as the mid-episode bumper (still had the two-note Bernard Hermann composed music from the first season pilot episode score until about a third of the way into the season); similarly, the CBS production slide shown at the end still had the second season music played until almost the same episode the bumper music changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmasters9

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There is some News about a Flintstones Bluray Disc 1 Replacement Program has started. Because of the Episode 17 sound problem. The Digital Bits has the news and the web site. I clicked it and Nothing happened. ? :( :unsure: Maybe it's still too early. I don't see any news on here about it yet. My copy is coming Thursday from Amazon.
That’s not a link. It‘s an email address to which you send your request: [email protected]

Reactions: RICK BOND

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
E-mailed, and auto-response says, quote:
Thank you for your email. Given the ongoing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, replacement discs could be delayed. Assuming complete contact/shipping information was provided, the discs will start to ship no later than the end of November. Requests will be fulfilled in the order received.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc