ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Okay as I peruse my library, the number of “just fine” releases far outweigh those with issues, but for some reason, it’s the DVD/Blu Ray releases that meant to most to me which either have their issues. The Fugitive, Batman, Lost in Space, Star Trek, The Outer Limits, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, I Dream of Jeannie, Battlestar Galactica, and so on.

• Agreed
Reactions: bmasters9

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Nothing is wrong with it. It's just that there is no such thing as completely perfect. It is as perfect as it can get.
Honestly, TZ is perfect, to my knowledge. Uncut prints, network bumpers, sponsor tags, pristine quality, original sound mix, all the Rod Serling previews they could find and the correct theme music. It is, to me, the gold standard by which every classic TV series should be released. Even the bonus features, such as the music only tracks, commentaries, specials and The Time Element are pitch perfect. I'm suree some fans would like production order, but when recreating the network experience, Air Date order makes sense.

Star Trek should have been treated the same way.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, same, I always default to original sound mixes in any release if available. The Shout Factory Space:1999 release has kinda botched remastered audio, but the Blu Rays default to the mono, so I never cared.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
What's missing or wrong from it?
There are 1 or 2 frames of film in one single episode of The Twilight Zone on blu-ray that have some strange electronic noise visible, as set forth in the official HTF review of the complete series.

That being said, I agree with others posting that The Twilight Zone on blu-ray is as close to perfection as one might hope.

The Jetsons and Jonny Quest on blu-ray also come as close to perfection as one might hope.

Reactions: moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
And they had to use a backup audio from kinescope for the "Merry Christmas" from Rod Serling in the Christmas episode, resulting in lower quality audio. That's another reason it is "almost perfect." For all intents and purposes, it is as perfect as it can get....unless they release it in 4K. BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being "almost perfect." Nothing in this world is perfect, especially in the world of film!

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Gotcha. I don’t mind little things like that in the efforts to restore episodes to night of original broadcast. Having that last bit of audio really made a difference in the enjoyment of the episode for me when I ran it last year. Those things are loving efforts by the people involved, as opposed to weird editorial choices based on reasons I can’t fathom…

mark27b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Disc error

"It’s come to our attention that Episode 17 on Disc One of Warner’s The Flintstones: The Complete Series Blu-ray box set—The Big Bank Robbery—is missing music and sound effects. We’ve brought this issue to Warner’s attention. If other problems come to light, and/or when the studio announces their disc exchange program to correct them, we’ll let you know."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It has been a struggle to find anything to complain about with the complete series Blu-Ray set for The Dick Van Dyke Show.
This.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Image/RLJ folks who directly handled the Dick Van Dyke Show and the original Twilight Zone releases, actually gave a damn and paid close attention to details. Perhaps they were old enough to be huge fans of these shows, and already knew a lot of details.

In contrast, I have to wonder if the current Warner, ViacomCBS, etc ... folks handling releases of older shows, are younger folks who have no memory/nostalgia nor any knowledge for the shows they're releasing. It may very well be individuals who just treat their jobs as no different than a conveyor belt moving stuff along.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jcroy, I do think it's always an issue that the studios don't know as much as the fans do.

Unless someone directly involved with the original show is brought on to consult, I imagine a lot of this stuff is just being released blindly.

Reactions: jcroy

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Jcroy, I do think it's always an issue that the studios don't know as much as the fans do.

Unless someone directly involved with the original show is brought on to consult, I imagine a lot of this stuff is just being released blindly.
Though not originally involved, Jerry Beck has been consulting WHV for almost 20 years just in the DVD age. Errors plus episode crams plus scrubbing (if as bad as some suggest) call his influence into question, I'd think.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16