What's new

The Flintstones Collection (Blu-ray) Coming Fall 2020 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
992B81BB-F2E8-4857-97F1-E1B635562FD4.jpeg

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
You could always buy this and put the discs in it.
I remember seeing that at B&N and wanted it except it was DVD in the time of Blu.
but it reminded me of a Christmas gift my father gave me as a child which was a Flintsones battery operated car with cut out figures!

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Does "High School Fred" in the 3rd season have the correct opening (5th season opening with Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm on DVD) and is "The Big Move" edited (with no teaser, 22:32 on DVD)?

Cacher

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete D. Pyratte
I wonder if these include the Winston cigarette commercials the Flintstones did, lol.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wonder if these include the Winston cigarette commercials the Flintstones did, lol.
I doubt it. Smoking is definitely not PC these days, and it wouldn’t come under as much criticism if they didn’t include the original commercials with the episodes. I think the best we can hope for is unedited episodes, with the cold opens that started the episodes.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Does "High School Fred" in the 3rd season have the correct opening (5th season opening with Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm on DVD) and is "The Big Move" edited (with no teaser, 22:32 on DVD)?
The Big Movie is unedited on both Boomerang and HBO Max, so it's likely the Blu-ray will be fine.

If this looks as good as Scooby Doo, then we are in for a treat.
Wow. I'd say it's near impossible that this set won't meet that pathetic level of quality at least.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Not necessarily. They can scan the most beautiful elements in existence, but if they clean them up too much with heavy DNR and compression, like they did with Scooby-Doo! Where Are You!, we're screwed. The DVDs will probably look better in that scenario.
Yeah why I’ll wait for the reviews I have them on dvd and I still question given the type of animation whether I’ll see a huge improvement

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
I didn't see anything pathetic about the quality. It looks great. The packaging has a lot to be desired, but I expected that.
I've shared the comparisons, they speak for themselves. If you want your classic animation to be scrubbed of grain and wish to promote that to others, then that's disappointing to hear.

On the subject of The Flintstones, this has just been confirmed to be a 10 disc set, so it sounds like you'll be getting your wish. Tons of compression and DNR, and not much of an upgrade unfortunately.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The other movie is The Flintstones and WWE Wrestling move that came out a few years ago. It was released on DVD and Bluray.

Although, as you can see from the screen shots, "WWE Stone-Age Smackdown" is from the current Warner, who's still being chased by their old 00's Cartoon Network demons that all vintage 60's Hanna-Barbera is "kitschy" and has to be done in an ugly Teen Titans Go "hipster" look, because twentysomething professional animators are embarrassed by old 50's-60's designs.
(sigh...We thought they were finally out of therapy.) :emoji_expressionless:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Would H-B be doing anything differently on that front if they still existed today? There's even more hostility to anything from the post-Screen Gems pre-Cartoon Network Scooby-Doo-and-Smurfs era of H-B, but at least a Flintstones/Jetsons crossover makes the most sense and unlike the latter's theatrical film, that didn't replace Janet Waldo after the fact. That also might have had post-production done on tape adding another hurdle to clear with potential remastering.

I doubt it. Smoking is definitely not PC these days, and it wouldn’t come under as much criticism if they didn’t include the original commercials with the episodes. I think the best we can hope for is unedited episodes, with the cold opens that started the episodes.

What about beer? They got something against beer?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Would H-B be doing anything differently on that front if they still existed today? There's even more hostility to anything from the post-Screen Gems pre-Cartoon Network Scooby-Doo-and-Smurfs era of H-B, but at least a Flintstones/Jetsons crossover makes the most sense and unlike the latter's theatrical film, that didn't replace Janet Waldo after the fact. That also might have had post-production done on tape adding another hurdle to clear with potential remastering.

What about beer? They got something against beer?

You know, all this stuff could be "Easter Eggs." Do they still do that?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That doesn't seem to be as much of a thing for Blu-ray or UHD as it was for DVD. Probably because the menus are less bloated than they used to be.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
[/QUOTE]What about beer? They got something against beer?

[/QUOTE]

Interesting to see Fred imitate another Jackie Gleason character, "Joe , The Bartender" as it is generally acknowledged that The Flintstones was taken/stolen from the Honeymooners. Jackie Gleason considered suing at one point but decided against it. I wonder who did the voice of Wilma as it clearly isn't Jean Vander Pyl .

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I am eagerly awaiting the day I can order THE FLINTSTONES complete series set on Blu-ray. I like collecting old TV shows, and I cannot wait to add the rest of this show to my movie shelf. I've had the first season on DVD for years, but I've never gotten around to ordering any more of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks