The Fleischer cartoons on the Ultimate Collection & some other minor oberservations.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished scouting out the ultimate collection tonight(it will probably take me weeks to watch everything lol) and I noticed a few odd things most notably the cartoons...

Have they been fully remastered?...The colors are definitely more bright and vibrant but it still looks like it wasn’t fully restored. And maybe its my surround system but in some shorts I hear a kinda scratching noise throughout the entire short. Very distracting (its not present when I listen through the tv speakers.)

Other quibbles I have with the set (apart from the sound issue of STM and the featureless Superman 3) are that they are NO chapter stops for the Molemen movie and the original making of featurettes for STM and SII..those are over 50 minutes each and I think it was a mistake not to include chapter stops..

Another thing...Plain motionless menu screens for all the classic films. The 2000 director edition of STM had a cool menu sequence.. Strange for such an ultimate edition they would present them in very plain menus..

But the biggest question I have on the main reason I started this thread concerns the cartoons. I would like to hear posters who maybe more in the know on the remastering process to comment. I somehow expected the shorts to look much cleaner..

comments anyone?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Anyone that has a region free player will like what im about to say ! The superman the movie 4 disc edition , which has the first batch of restored fleischer supermans, is on sale at amazon.uk for an amazing $2.97 uk!!!!! Even with the shipping costs to US, it should cost a total of no more than 10 american dollars.Ive recieved mine here in Greece a few days ago, what a joy to have restored fleischers, superman the movie both cuts of the film , tons of extras , not to mention the george reeves theatrical film superman and the mole men.The price is only a fraction of what this costs in the US, unless you already own the region 1 , I cant see why anybody would pass on this steal !

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I find it interesting that no one has answered this original question. In light of the new Popeye release, and other Fleischer cartoon discussion, does anyone know the answer?

I just bought the Chris Reeve Superman Collection that also have these cartoons on it. I've never seen them, but all reviews I've read elsewhere lead me to believe I am in for a treat. This reviewer felt otherwise. Are they restored?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The cartoons look like they were transfered in the Ultra-Resolution process, but they could be regular optical re-composites. They just did not use dirt/scratch removal (not DVNR, but manual cleanup), as they did on the Looney Tunes and Popeyes.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
" find it interesting that no one has answered this original question. In light of the new Popeye release, and other Fleischer cartoon discussion, does anyone know the answer?"

Because The Superman Cartoons are Public Domain I guess warners went the
cheap way and didn't do hardly anything at all,other to present their prints
which are colorful,but this is a crime!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
They may not look as good as the looney tunes and popeye sets , but this is definitely the best they look up to now, and that includes the diamond collection.Sure this has dirt/ scratches , but this is the best ive ever seen them look on the dvd format, the colors just jump out at you.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Were the "End" titles taken off these cartoons at one point? Many of them seem to have a generic ending where the music fades from the actual cartoon and fades back in to the "standard" ending. I mean generic in the sense that a set of end titles from one cartoon were used in many. Some of them seem intact where the music is written into the END title.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
The music originally was continuous from the last moments of the cartoon through the end title. If that isn't the case anymore, that is indeed odd.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex