What's new

Broadcast TV The Flash - seasons 8 & 9 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Should the upcoming eighth season be the last?

• Yes, the show's been past its prime for a while now.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No, I don't want Barry Allen's televised adventures to end.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I like the idea that some have mentioned that Mia Queen comes back because when Barry corrected the timeline she lost a loved one, maybe William, and now she wants Barry to undo what he did. Perhaps in the new timeline William didn't get kidnapped as he did he the backdoor pilot.
I assume Reverse Flash brings her back to 2021. There are always changes when you try to correct the timeline.

Last edited:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I like the idea that some have mentioned that Mia Queen comes back because when Barry corrected the timeline she lost a loved one, maybe William, and now she wants Barry to undo what he did. Perhaps in the new timeline William didn't get kidnapped as he did he the backdoor pilot.
I assume Reverse Flash brings her back to 2021. There are always changes when you try to correct the timeline.
Well, we do see that Mia's appearance in The Flash does follow the backdoor pilot and it feels to me that they are going to try to bring closure to that somewhere in all of these shows in 2022 is one of the current shows (or maybe later).

Part 4 of this is still my favorite of the 5. This episode was a satisfactory conclusion to the whole thing, though Despero was a bit too much over the top.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So, when Flash touches his forehead and his mask appears, How?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This event got a lot better when Tom Cavanagh showed up at end of Part 3. There's a reason that Reverse Flash is the Flash's #1 Big Bad. A much better villain than Despero, who was poorly written and defined, and ultimately a sideshow to the main attraction. I also continue to enjoy Damien Darhk a lot more as an anti-hero than as an outright villain.

By saving Joe's part of the phone call for this week, they saved on having to pay Jesse L. Martin for another episode.

Well, we do see that Mia's appearance in The Flash does follow the backdoor pilot and it feels to me that they are going to try to bring closure to that somewhere in all of these shows in 2022 is one of the current shows (or maybe later).
That's a definite advantage of having a shared universe. It reminds me of when they wrapped up "The Lone Gunmen" spinoff after it was cancelled in the "Jump the Shark" episode of "The X-Files".

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think there was any purpose for Mia to be in the episode. She wasn't a part of what was going on with Team Flash. There was no resolution to her story, just an update that its been 2 years since we last saw her and nothing has happened since other than her apparently killing people in her effort to find her brother which she still has not done. Then again you can say that about most of the guest stars. What did Ray Palmer add or Black Lightening or Ryan Choi or Batwoman. It seems they were there for the sake of their being there to promote this as a big event with an exciting poster. They added nothing to the story. It seems implied that Mia is staying in the present so she may make a future appearence and perhaps find William with Barry's help. Maybe William will be brainwashed to be this season's big bad.

Oh and Alex Danvers was in there too. She was so intergral to the plot that i forgot she was a part of this event..

I was a bit confused about how Barry became Reverse Flash in the changed timeline. Thorne replaced Barry so that he became the Flash but how did that make Barry the Reverse Flash? Was Thorne also Harrison Welles or was Barry ? Did he train himself in the alternate timeline?

Seems like Barry won't be in much of the first episode back as the bulk of the episode will be set in 2014 when Barry was in a coma. So we will have Eddie alive with Nora and Bart . That way they won't have to explain why no one in the present remembers meeting Nora and Bart in 2014. I don't think Iris would be convincing as a college student so it would make sense she is not in the 2014 scenes. Barry will probably be in the first scene and last scene. A Barry light episode.Seems an odd choice after a 3 month break.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Important things to remember so that this week's episode is less confusing . Per TVline

Some may consider this spoiler information, I am not sure. This is like the Season 8 season premiere as it picks up where season 7 ended before the 5 episodes from last fall.

What’s important to know as you fire up Episode 6, which is titled “Impulsive Excessive Disorder” (heh, wordplay), is that it actually picks up where Season 7 ended, with Barry and Iris’ vow renewal. We get a bit more of the aprés-ceremony celebration, before Bart and Nora speed back to their home in 2049.

Now, this is where things might get confusing, because eight very long months ago, it was mentioned on The Flash that “Uncle Jay” Garrick was dead in 2049, killed by Godspeed as Bart watched. Godspeed thus became Bart’s own arch nemesis a la his father and Reverse-Flash. That tragic event from Bart’s past — as well as the fact that Jay had married Speed Force Nora lookalike Dr. Joan Williams — plays a big role in Wednesday night’s 2049 scenes, so short of sitting yourself down for a Season 7 finale rewatch, it’s helpful to have those facts freshly re-loaded into your noggin.

So again: Jay Garrick is alive in the present (and in fact helped Team Flash been the Godspeed army in the Season 7 finale), but he has died by the year 2049.

Flash Iris Eddie A few other blasts from The Flash‘s past worth re-remembering, heading into Episode 8×06:

* Iris didn’t begin dating Detective Eddie Thawne until Barry Allen had landed in a coma, post-particle accelerator explosion.

* Though Cecile Horton was a DA in Central City, she didn’t first appear on-screen until late in Season 1.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was a fun, light episode -- even if the time travel rules made even less sense than usual -- but it was definitely weird how it picked up right where the seventh season finale left off, like the whole Armageddon arc never happened.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
This was a fun, light episode -- even if the time travel rules made even less sense than usual -- but it was definitely weird how it picked up right where the seventh season finale left off, like the whole Armageddon arc never happened.
Just watched it. Yes, it was fun. It was a Flash-lite episode, possibly shot during the making of another one (one of the Armageddon eps?) as most of the regular cast basically just had bit parts.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this was paired in filming with the previous episode. Relatively light load for everyone except Barry and the captain. I guess he should have taken the bracelet if he still wanted to conceal his identity, but at least we did not get a repeat of Supergirl/Lena Luthor here. Though if her mimic powers work unconsciously and not under control, why didn't she get some speed powers when with Barry previously?

Meanwhile, something is happening to the timeline ....

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It didn't say how many episodes next season will consist of but I read Grant has signed for 15 episodes next season .

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Jessie L Martin will no longer be a regular on "The Flash" after this season. His contract expires at the end of this season and per the article he was not approached by the producers to renew the contract. Only 3 original cast members left. Per the article he can appear on up to 5 episodes next season.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Turning Caitlin into Dr. Frankenstein . That will go well. This show has run out of stories . I wish Grant Gustin had decided he had had enough and moved on as most of the original cast has done. The whole Iris has disappeared storyline was done because Candice Patton needed a break for 4 episodes and not for any story dictated reason. She also wanted a break last season which is why the time sickness story was started in the first place. It's a shame that the CW didn't choose to nurture one of its newer shows that it cancelled instead of keeping this. This show should have ended with Crisis or shortly there after as the event of Barry disappearing in a Crisis was central to the premise since the premiere. It may want to end with a final battle with Eobard Thawne with maybe an origin story that shows how Barry in the original time line did whatever he did to cause Eobard to want to go to the past to kill Barry as a child and then decided to kill Barry's mother but honestly at this point I think even that would seem stale. Often when an actor leaves a show and the show ends they say they preferred to leave with the audience wanting more rather than over staying their welcome. The Flash is an example of a show overstaying their welcome. Arrow was hard to sit through in Season 7 but in Season 8 the episodes up to Crisis were fantastic. In my opinion they killed Oliver too soon because once that happened the show fizzled out to a long good bye. Not a fan of Oliver becoming the Spectre. The backdoor pilot with Mia should have aired earlier in the season before Oliver died. Though it would have been annoying whenever it aired because Oliver wasn't in it and we knew there were so few episodes left that it felt like a waste of a precious resource. If the final Arrow episode had Oliver die half way through, the funeral where we found the dead characters saved and a final scene with Felicity going off to the afterlife with Oliver it would have been perfect.

Last edited:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Turning Caitlin into Dr. Frankenstein . That will go well.
And what we saw in the last episode does make me feel like it will end well either.

And then the thing at the end of the last episode with Chester defies belief. I can't see someone just coming into his computer and download all his files. He is being played a lot more intelligent than that.

The whole Iris has disappeared storyline was done because Candice Patton needed a break for 4 episodes and not for any story dictated reason. She also wanted a break last season which is why the time sickness story was started in the first place.
They are making it the story. Until we see the whole season we can't really say whether it worked or not. Going into the Still Force this past episode to find Iris was an interesting twist.

It's a shame that the CW didn't choose to nurture one of its newer shows that it cancelled instead of keeping this.
Yes, this is getting old and I would have preferred it if they had gone with a second season Naomi and finished off the Flash with this season. They must be getting enough of the right viewers to keep The Flash going.

Arrow was hard to sit through in Season 7 but in Season 8 the episodes up to Crisis were fantastic.
I think I bailed on Arrow halfway through Season 6. It was just getting too painful to watch. It felt like they were just treading water. I came back for the Season 8 episodes leading to Crisis.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
This week's episode was for the most part a nice standalone episode.

The bit a the end with Caitlin was a bit much though. Barry doesn't do things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks