What's new

The Flash - season 3 (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Eobard killed E-1 Wells only after killing Barry's Mom, but only because he lost his speed to get back to his own time after doing so - right? He had to find Wells, kill him, then take over Wells' looks and proceed to advance the accelerator accident.

Did any of those events change in the new timeline? Eobard emerged still having his speed didn't he?

I'm a bit confused about that too.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Barry stopped Eobard from killing his mom then imprisoned him, thus creating another timeline for which Barry regrets. Eobard takes Barry back to the night his Mom was killed and kills her again. Eobard and Barry arrive back in the present (another new timeline) and he (RF) leaves with his full speed. Does this mean he didn't kill Wells this time and is Eddie still alive? Eddie erased Eobard from existence at the end of season 1. Season 2 used time remnants. Did any of this still happen in the newest season 3 timeline?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll still go with ... Until we see them, they are dead.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was my favorite episode in a long time. All of the storylines were running on full cylinders.

I loved the costumed debut of Jesse Quick. I can see why they sent her and E-2 Wells back to Earth-2, since having two heroic speedsters hanging around would quickly get redundant and steal some of Barry's thunder. But I'd watch the hell out of a Jesse Quick show. I also really enjoyed the young puppy love between Wally and Jesse.

I'm really going to miss E-2 Wells, especially now that all of the Zoom-related stress and strife that made him so dour last season has been resolved. That being said, I love that they basically went full "Rick and Morty" and plucked a replacement Harrison Wells from the multiverse. My one wish is that he doesn't have a nefarious hidden agenda. That card is so played out on this show.

The science of Mirror Master is ridiculous, which probably helps explain why it took them this long to get to one of the most iconic members of the Flash's rogues gallery. But I liked that the solution to trap him was intellectual rather than just punching or hand waving.

I think it's pretty clear after the stunt with the mirror that Barry knows that Caitlin is starting to manifest Killer Frost's powers. If that's the case, I really like that he didn't out her to the rest of the team.

I really like the family scenes with Joe, Barry and Iris (and sometimes Wally) hanging out. There's a wonderful, warm group chemistry there. But they're kind of at cross-purposes with the whole Barry/Iris destined to be together thing, because they remind us that Barry's basically kissing his sister. To the show's credit, it at least acknowledges that from time to time.

Eobard killed E-1 Wells only after killing Barry's Mom, but only because he lost his speed to get back to his own time after doing so - right? He had to find Wells, kill him, then take over Wells' looks and proceed to advance the accelerator accident.

Did any of those events change in the new timeline? Eobard emerged still having his speed didn't he?

I'm a bit confused about that too.
It's a total mess. On one hand, we know that Eobard Thawne, or at least a time remnant of him, did keep his speed force because the post-Flashpoint Reverse Flash is one of the Big Bads on this season of "Legends of Tomorrow".

On the other hand, the death of Barry's mother restored the timeline with only minor variations (see Earth-3 Flash's broken cup metaphor). If Eobard didn't kill E-1 Wells and take over his identity, then all of the crucial events of the first season (including the particle accelerator explosion) wouldn't have happened.

So I think we just have to go with Tony's strategy: Unless we see them, we need to consider them dead.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This was such a fun and great episode. Mirror Master and Top make an interesting pair, I like how they explained how his powers work. I look forward to seeing them both again. I also loved the awkwardness of the Barry/Joe/Iris scenes, good stuff!

Tom Cavanagh is such a wonderful and versatile actor, love every variation of Wells so far. I hope E-2 Wells is wrong about his gut feeling on the new Wells. Do we need another "evil" Wells? I do like fun Wells.

I also like how Caitlin's Killer Frost powers are manifesting and I like how she is trying to hide it. She shouldn't be surprised that the others will figure it out. Cisco and Wells' attempt to rescue Barry wasn't cold enough but he still got out. It's still an interesting character development.

I didn't know Eobard was on Legends of Tomorrow, i never made it past the Pilot. Maybe I'll check it out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With all the hesitant romances going on in the show (three in this episode and that';s not counting the relationship between the villains), I grew very tired of these sub-adolescent feeling hook-ups going on (Joe acting like a preteen with a woman. It's just lame.) Yes, I get it's a show for young adults and not for old folks like me, but it's tedious and I generally fast forward through those scenes.

I did like very much the villains of the week, and the search for a new Harrison Wells was fun for the actor to play so many different personas. Nice to see Wentworth Miller beginning his season of guest appearances across the range of DC shows on the CW.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
An interesting main story with a bullying theme, and even more interesting development with the character of Julian.

Not sure what to make of the Wells subplot, but the Kaitlin subplot is gaining strength nicely.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked this one too.

The Harrison Wells of Earth-19 is basically Steve Jobs, and he had a Steve Wozniak to execute his ideas so unlike the Harrison Wells from other Earths he never had to master the science-y stuff. That is SO much better than the nefarious plot that the preview seemed to be hinting at.

It was nice to see Barry start to thaw the ice with Julian using his hard-won life experience.

It's an interesting take that Caitlin's powers seem to be making her evil; if that's the case, then Killer Frost on Earth-2 didn't simply use her powers for evil ends, but was made evil as a consequence of using her powers. I did like that her mother pulled her back from the brink. I do hope that we're not seeing a supervillain origin story, though; I want Caitlin to remain a part of Team Flash.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I liked this episode for the character development instead of the monster. Shouldn't they have figured out that Cloverfield (at least it sure looked like the same monster) was a hologram sooner? Like when a creature of that size just disappears. Where does something that big hide?

At least H.R.'s secret wasn't that he was evil and plotting against them. This Wells is a really interesting character, so far. I like Julian a lot and this was a great episode for him, I hope he sticks around. Caitlin's story was the most interesting, seeing he interact with her mother, how her mother's company wants to use her and her Killer Frost persona developing. I hope she doesn't turn evil but she did play evil well last season.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I liked this episode for the character development instead of the monster. Shouldn't they have figured out that Cloverfield (at least it sure looked like the same monster) was a hologram sooner? Like when a creature of that size just disappears. Where does something that big hide?

There are additional explanations for the monster's sudden dissappearance.
For example, it could have been a lizard mutated by the accelerator accident which now has the ability to change sizes rather than color. It may have been attempting to draw power from the electricity grid to maintain its size. The transformers blowing out caused it to immediately revert to its smaller size due to the lack of the power required to sustain the larger size. That's what I was thinking while viewing the ep.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
There are additional explanations for the monster's sudden dissappearance.
For example, it could have been a lizard mutated by the accelerator accident which now has the ability to change sizes rather than color. It may have been attempting to draw power from the electricity grid to maintain its size. The transformers blowing out caused it to immediately revert to its smaller size due to the lack of the power required to sustain the larger size. That's what I was thinking while viewing the ep.

None of those crossed my mind, they're good explanations. I would have liked it if the characters had come up with something like that. It was still a good episode.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Afterwards, I was wondering how the kid pulled off the monster hologram. He had to get himself some serious hardware, which would seem to have cost a decent amount. He had to have been using some good tech skills. It seems hard to believe he couldn't have channeled his talents to a more benign use or a smaller scale. Why wasn't he just getting back at the bullies? You would think that as part of his sentence, they would have him use his skills to help the city, but I doubt we'll ever hear about him again.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This was a really good episode tonight. Loved the scenes with H.R. and how it was explained why he couldn't leave the lab. Also liked how Cisco tried to help Caitlin, then ratted her out. Her reaction felt honest and real. Shade was an interesting Villain but underused. The team did a better job of trying to catch Alchemy, I was expecting/hoping he/she was going to be unmasked. I think I would have liked it better had it been done now, instead of near the end of the season. Wasn't expecting the way the episode ended, can't wait for next week!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
This was a really good episode tonight. Loved the scenes with H.R. and how it was explained why he couldn't leave the lab. Also liked how Cisco tried to help Caitlin, then ratted her out. Her reaction felt honest and real. Shade was an interesting Villain but underused. The team did a better job of trying to catch Alchemy, I was expecting/hoping he/she was going to be unmasked. I think I would have liked it better had it been done now, instead of near the end of the season. Wasn't expecting the way the episode ended, can't wait for next week!
With the Invasion! crossover coming up, I wonder if we will get more resolution this half of the season than otherwise. I really was hoping we'd see Alchemy unmasked. Now we have this speed force "god" to contend with next week. Quite wild and I have no idea how this will work out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When Cisco lied about what he vibed, I cringed thinking about how all the lying ruined Arrow for me. I was SO relieved when he finally told not only Caitlin but also later everyone and said how lying never worked out. How true!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
With the Invasion! crossover coming up, I wonder if we will get more resolution this half of the season than otherwise. I really was hoping we'd see Alchemy unmasked. Now we have this speed force "god" to contend with next week. Quite wild and I have no idea how this will work out.

I believe we will find out who Alchemy is on the fall finale which I think is the episode after the crossover so December 6th most likely. The crossover I would guess will mostly be self contained so the show most likely won't advance the season arcs in that episode.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I believe we will find out who Alchemy is on the fall finale which I think is the episode after the crossover so December 6th most likely. The crossover I would guess will mostly be self contained so the show most likely won't advance the season arcs in that episode.
In order for the crossover to be self-contained, we need to wrap up the current cliffhanger and possibly a few other plot points. I don't think they are going to have it completely jump out of any shows' continuity.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well that was disappointing -
that the identity of Alchemy really was as obvious as we thought it would be - Julian. He sure does a great acting job not knowing the secret of the husks. Of course part of it could be down to split personality.

On the other hand, the resolution of the cliffhanger worked well as did Barry talking Caitlin down near the end. I am glad she is going to using the dampeners to keep herself in check, but we are just one convenient circumstance from her going all Killer Frost again. Still, maybe by the end of the season she can really get help from Alchemy,

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they save standout episodes for Kevin Smith, if Kevin Smith makes them stand out, or some combination of the two. But his episode last season and this episode tonight were both among my favorite "Flash" episodes.

The writing and acting just seem to take a step up. Caitlin was smart in her strategy and her tactics trying to hunt down Alchemy. The things she said were really hurtful, and especially because it was all true.

And then when Cisco confronts Barry about it, he doesn't lie. He admits the truth and faces the consequences. Cisco is furious, but he doesn't let his anger prevent him from working with Barry to help Caitlin.

Joe makes a bad choice for an emotionally true reason. Barry stakes his life on his belief that Caitlin's empathy and kindness are greater than her anger and fear. I really hope that her Killer Frost personality changes are a psychosomatic reaction to her powers and not an inevitable result of her powers. One of the interesting things about her powers is that speedsters are uniquely vulnerable to them; the hotter something is, the faster it's moving, and the colder something is, the slower its moving. Having a great threat as your ally is more interesting than taking Caitlin completely down the road to becoming the Earth-2 Killer Frost.

H.R. proves himself to be quite intelligent and useful, even though it's in a completely different way to the way that EobardHarrison and Harry were intelligent and useful.

Barry asks something big of Julian, and Julian asks for something big in return. And when faced with choosing between his career and his friend, he doesn't even hesitate.

The fact that all of that worked made it easy to forgive the fact that the Alchemy reveal was just confirming the obvious.

Here's the Flash poster from the Invasion! four-panel for next week's "Invasion!" crossover:
Flash_S03_008.jpg

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am going to guess that Dante, Cisco's brother, is still alive. Whether he is the new speedster or not I just can't see them leaving Barry being responsible for his death because of how things changed after Flashpoint. I also don't think Barry is going to go back in time again and change things so that Dante is alive. He is going to be alive in the current timeline. Things between Barry and Cisco can never be cool if Barry is responsible for the death. Even if they found out through say the Legends of Tomorrow that Dante would have died in the original timeline as Iris mentioned in this episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks