What's new

The Flash - season 1 (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Oliver Ravencrest said:
I did like how Cisco mentioned there was only 2 "suits" left. :)
Time for Cisco to start making more suits. Yes, it was a really fun episode.

I'm not positive, but I thought the "next episode" preview two weeks ago was for something different.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess the ongoing angst with Iris is not going to go away. Their saying they would spend time apart will give rise only to more misery and brooding. Otherwise, I am loving the adventures themselves, and the cast is jelling beautifully. Love the rapport at Star Labs, and if Barry is so desperate for a girl friend who's not Felicity Smoak, there's a perfectly viable candidate there.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Ok, who the hell is Dr. Wells? It almost seems like he's manipulating people and events to create a specific timeline. I still can't tell if he's good or bad.

Grodd? What or who the heck is that? I had to look up Grodd because I'm not familiar with The Flash history. I will be mighty impressed if they can pull that off and do it well because it will be very easy to do it poorly, especially on TV. And if done poorly it will take you right out of the show.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Fans of the Flash comics noticed the empty Grodd cell in the pilot. I will be impressed if they can make his appearance work.

I've no idea as to who Harrison Wells is on the show. He definitely has an interest in seeing that The Flash fulfills a destiny he knows about. Is he trying to get The Flash to be around to accomplish something in Crisis?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
spshultz said:
Grodd? What or who the heck is that? I had to look up Grodd because I'm not familiar with The Flash history. I will be mighty impressed if they can pull that off and do it well because it will be very easy to do it poorly, especially on TV. And if done poorly it will take you right out of the show.
I think Grodd has been in most cartoon incarnations of the Justice League since Challenge of the Superfriends...1983 or so, IIRC. He was part of the Legion of Doom and also made at least one appearance in Justice League/Unlimited.

I don't think we'll be getting a full on "Grodd." More that likely it'll be a "reality" version...a human in different stages of morphing with some good make up effects. Straight up CGI is going to be too expensive for much footage and there's nothing existing to repurpose. Maybe an outside possibility of motion capture? They can't even use lighting tricks to keep Grodd in shadow. Flash is generally a brighter show than Arrow.

This is going to be interesting.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
They should really just kill off Iris. She's bringing absolutely zero to the show. Every single scene with her drags on forever. When I see her on screen, I hear brakes squealing in my head. Maybe her secret dark matter power is to slow down time. It certainly feels like it to me. Will Iris ever find out Barry's secret? Will she ever find out he loves her? Who gives a shit. Anything that gives Iris more screen time makes the show that much worse.

The proof rating of an alcoholic beverage is double the alcohol percentage by volume. So the maximum proof (pure alcohol) is 200. Caitlin gives Barry a "500 proof" concoction, which means it is a mind boggling 250% alcohol by volume. Not just stupid, lazyily stupid. Which is par for the course on this show. What, you don't have access to Google in the writers' room? Is it being blocked by your firewall or something?

Smallville Brain Dead Moment of the Week: Even though he's well aware of her powers, Eiling shoots Plastique, thus triggering an explosion that would level most of the city. Now, I can buy that Eiling is such a selfish monster that he would kill her out of vengeance with his last dying breath even though it would result in the death of thousands. But he's not that hurt -- he's later show with a boo boo on his forehead. So shooting Plastique amounts to committing suicide. Alternately, you can explain this away by saying DUUUUURRRHHHH. Awesome job, writers! BTW, his plan to subdue Plastique? A bunch of soldiers with guns. This will work how? DUUUUURRRHHHH.

I am still appalled when Barry doesn't take all the guns away. "Oh," but you say, "Barry had to talk to Plastique first". It doesn't matter, he moves at super speed and she doesn't. He can confiscate all the weapons before she can blink. Stop thinking like the writers.

DUUUURRRHHHH.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
spshultz said:
Ok, who the hell is Dr. Wells? It almost seems like he's manipulating people and events to create a specific timeline. I still can't tell if he's good or bad.

I'm thinking Wells is Professor Zoom the Reverse Flash, based on the final scene from the Pilot episode. Tom Cavanagh is doing a great job of hiding what his character's true motives really are.

Grodd looked really good in the dark cage but what happens when he is finally seen full in a brighter environment. Can't wait to see how things go.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's weird, because Prof. Zoom's name is Eddie's name, so who knows if Wells will end up as Prof. Zoom, or something totally different, but invested in seeing Barry become the Flash and have future exploits that he needs to happen for Wells' own personal interest...

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
How do we know that Wells isn't a descendant of Eddie? Zoom's real name is Eobard Thawne and Eddie could be there to throw viewers off.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Plastique turns everything she touches into a time bomb. EXCEPT HER CLOTHES. Even if you want to handwave that to mean only her hands can activate the explosions, she later removes a pair of gloves at STAR Labs that do not subsequently explode. Because, DUUURRRRHHHH.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hanson, really? Stop watching the show. Anyway Spschultz, Wells has murdered at least one that we havecseen and you aren't sure if he is good?

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Grood. On the last season of JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, Grood was the leader of the Legion of Doom.
The mindfull gorilla also appeared in several episodes of BATMAN: THE BRAVE & THE BOLD. Which also had a great
FLASH episode in which John Wesley Shipp voiced the Reverse Flash.

Romanic subplots aside then has been a FUN series to watch.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
Even if you want to handwave that to mean only her hands can activate the explosions, she later removes a pair of gloves at STAR Labs that do not subsequently explode. Because, DUUURRRRHHHH.
Didn't the episode explicitly cover that those gloves were specially made by Cisco to counteract the effects of her ability?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
With regards to the suits. I remember reading that fans were complaining about the color of the suit. It wasn't red enough. The producers than made a comment saying this wasn't the final version of the suit. I wonder if we will eventually see a suit more in line with the comics as Cisco's new versions get made.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
The maroon looks weird too but in some shots the red pops out and it looks a lot better.

I really liked tonight's episode but not quite as much as last weeks, not sure why. The only thing I didn't like was Iris' punch, thought it was a stupid thing to do. Favourite parts were the scenes with West and Wells and the final scene. Can't wait for next week.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I do find the erratic nature of Barry's speed bothersome. Why can't he always avoid getting hit (especially if he's fully charged and not exhausted)? The fact that these lumbering villains often stop him with ease (at least in the early going until he's reminded how fast he is) seems convenient for the writers but not sensible in the world they've created.

So, it's clear now (I've never read the comics) that Iris is going to fall for the Flash but not for Barry, and he's going to be in the frustrating position of having her love his alter ego and not the man behind the mask. Is that right? Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane from the years before she knew his identity, I suppose.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Not liking the fact that Barry showed his true identity to "Girder". Not a smart move. Also, how do they feed and handle sanitary needs for their prisoners. I would have thought it would be better if the worked something out with ARGUS or some other government group to take them to supermax prison.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The fact that the Monster of the Week was able to strike The Flash at all is a gigantic, embarassing plot hole. The fact that this guy is able to land a half dozen solid punches on him (plus a metal rack!) is unforgivable. There is no amount of hand waving that can explain it. Even if you posited that the metal monster was able to generate a speed nullifying field, Barry in fact runs away at super speed right before a finishing blow lands during their first encounter. That the big finish pivots off of this hand to hand melee makes this the most brain dead episode. I mean, I don't know how you get more brain dead than brain dead, but this is definitely the brain deadest episode of the series thus far. Sadly, I fully expect an even brain deader one in the future. I fully expect a moment in the future when Iris is being held at knifepoint and the bad guy makes The Flash unmask himself and Barry obliges because he doesn't want her to get hurt. That's the kind of ignorant buffoonery I expect from this show. Forget it Jake, it's Smallville.

I haven't checked the credits, but I'm assuming the discrepancy between the limits to Barry's speed from episode to episode is due to different writers showing off Barry's powers. In some of the episodes, it is implied that Barry's upper limit is a skosh over Mach 1. Yet in other episodes, the feats that Barry is able to pull off (like saving every passenger one by one off of the derailing train in the Captain Cold episode) implies he's much faster than that. Maybe the STAR Labs guys aren't aware that he went that fast? Nope. The suit has telemetry that transmits back to the lab in real time.

What's with the homicidal villain not finishing off Barry when he's trapped under the metal rack? He can finally punch the everliving bejesus out of The Flash without evasion or escape, and that's when he decides to walk away. I guess they couldn't figure out a plausible way for Barry to escape so they had the bad guy just walk away, although this would imply the writers cared about plausibility, so probably not. Probably more like, lunch came and they abruptly ended the scene because, kung pow chicken.

Smallville Brain Dead Moment of the Week: Barry keeps hitting the Metal Monster with his bare hand and breaking his bones. Cisco surmises that if Barry hits him at mach 1.1, the sonic punch will incapcitate the monster without destroying The Flash's hand. As I recall, somewhere far back in the mists of history, mankind realized that if you don't want to hurt your hands while attacking, you could use a weapon. A club, brass knuckles, whatnot. Any of those would work better than a closed hand. Alternately, Barry could pick up the guy and deposit him in the STAR Labs nullifying cell at super speed. Look, the latter requires a modicum of thought. But not picking up a weapon? Brain dead.

Forget it Jake, it's Central City.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks