What's new

The Flash - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I give it a thumbs up. They seemed to stick, for the most part, to the comics I remember, although I haven't read them recently so I don't know the modern take on the mythos.

I did see the DC movie, The Flashpoint Paradox, and they did incorporate some of that here...

Professor Zoom, the reverse Flash, is shown plus, it looks like the Flash will go back in time to fight him as we saw a lot of red show up as well. I suspect Professor Zoom will be one who gave him the pep talk in the end. He Seemed a little sinister to me.

I will be adding this to my DVR lineup.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This is off to a really good start. It's well cast and I like how Barry's origin as the Flash was done. The show seems very respectful of the source material, at least as I remember. There were too many wink wink moments too soon for my taste, they can be distracting. Having the Particle Accelerator be the cause of Barry and the other meta-humans' powers is too reminiscent of the meteor freak of the week aspect of Smallville. I guess it beats having to do an origin for every villain every week. Other than that, I really liked it, especially the final scene.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I agree that it is reminiscent of Smallville and its one thing of Smallville that turned me off from the show. Prior to the show, Kryptonite had no effect on humans (in the mythos). The idea of something so harmless to humans but deadly to Superman is what made that plot device so powerful. The made-up contrivance of humans mutating due to kryptonite radiation ruined it as a plot device, IMO

However, I feel Flash's use of this plot device is more appropriate as the phenomenon responsible for the villains is also responsible for the Flash. It gives a more plausible reason for his gallery of rogues he is to face.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
In the comics back in the 90s, prolonged exposure to wearing a ring made from Kryptonite gave Lex Luthor cancer. Also, Metallo was kept alive and powered by some, other than those, I don't recall any others.

I agree that the plot device works better on the Flash, if it affects one person, no reason it can't do it to more. It just feels lazy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was a very entertaining pilot. Grant Gustin was quite charismatic as a nerdy kind of hunk, and how great that John Wesley Shipp was cast as his father. Their prison sequence at the end had me in tears, too. This had me smiling a good deal, something Smallville rarely did.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was decent, but the Flash needs to be faster. The comic book Flash is several orders of magnitude faster than what we were shown. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
60_3.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok here's my early take...... Can't decide if Thawne the cop is his comic namesake or a red herring. Wells is either from the future or was given information from someone who is from the future. The Flashes of light that resulted in the death of his mom was highly likely a fight between RF and a Flash. Young Barry right after his father tells him to run was wisked down the street. But not by the red flashing lights, it was the yellow flash of lights who while fighting, stopped for a moment to look at Young Barry. One more thing. At the very end after Wells looks at the holo-newspaper, on a closeup of his face the shot suddenly changes to the yellow Flashes and then fade to black. This might be a red herring to make us think he is RF.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
How about a title change to Flash Season one or similar.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The first episode was a mixed bag for me. I particularly liked Grant Gustin as Barry Allen, probably the single best aspect of the show for me is his embodiment of the character. I thought some of the FX work was a bit rough. The slow motion sequences were fine, but I thought the high speed shots seemed a bit off. I'm not really versed in the Flash mythos so I can't approach the series from that perspective. I'll stick around but I hope the show improves because the episode felt just 'okay' for me.

- Walter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With this episode being the beginning of "The Flash", I was fine with how fast he was depicted as running, and sensing. He'll get faster, of course, but still feeling out his capabilities in the pilot episode. I didn't expect him to run across water just yet, let's build to that.

I wonder if they'll touch upon his caloric intake requirements in order to function as The Flash, or just have him be fast regardless of dietary intake.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like the goofy, fun vibe the show has. My problems with the pilot were much along the lines of my criticisms of the early episodes of "Arrow": hamfisted writing, and some questionable casting choices.Unfortunately, unlike Stephen Amell (who I instantly liked as Oliver Queen), I still feel like Grant Gustin doesn't quite work as Barry. Maybe his performance will win me over in time, but I fear I'll never get over negative reaction to him from his loathsome "Glee" character. Candice Patton is awful in this. Her character is like a clone of Laurel from "Arrow" in many ways, and she borrows a lot of Katie Cassidy's more grating qualities from that. Are we supposed to like her character? Because so far all we've seen is her be emotionally oblivious to Barry's feelings and that link up with the most deliberately obnoxious character on the show.Jesse L. Martin did the best he could with a woefully underwritten character, but I have high hopes that the writing will begin to rise closer to his level of talent as the series goes on. It's always a pleasure to have Tom Cavanagh on my TV screen, and his character is both the best written and most interesting character on the show. Danielle Panabaker and Carlos Valdes were fun in their cameo appearance on "Arrow" and they're fun here. Both were well-cast for their characters. John Wesley Shipp as Henry Allen was a stroke of genius.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
but I fear I'll never get over negative reaction to him from his loathsome "Glee" character.
That's funny. I was discussing Flash with a friend and his reaction to Grant Gustin's casting was nearly identical. While I loved the first season of Glee, I eventually stopped watching midway through season 2 when the tone of the series (at least for me) radically changed, so I never saw Gustin on Glee.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I, too, loathed his character on Glee, but he couldn't be more different here: earnest, sweet, nerd-cool, eager to please. I really loved what he did in the part both on Arrow and in the pilot episode. Looking forward to more.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick Sun said:
I did groan when I found out he got the part because his character was nasty on Glee.
Guys, actors play different characters. Even Lee Marvin got an Oscar when he played a good guy. Jack Palance also got an Oscar playing a good guy. Talk about two actors who played villains many times. If you were supposed to hate his character on Glee, then he did his jib well. Maybe he'll be good again.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This cast would be perfect for a musical episode.

Jesse L. Martin:

Grant Gustin:

Carlos Valdes:

Carlos was also the Bass player In A Very Potter Musical

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I didn't have the problems a lot of you guys did with the first episode. The effects were fine--I wasn't expecting movie calibre effects on a CW budget--and they were several orders of magnitude better than anything Smallville ever did. (I'm not comparing Flash to Arrow since Arrow doesn't have in your face effects a lot.) Flash also jumped right into powers and a costume without making any apologies for it; again, Smallville took almost 10 years to embrace Superman and that was still a disappoiintment.

The one piece that felt off to me was the cameo by Stephen Amell on the rooftop. Particularly, the end of that sequence. Barry says "cool" as Arrow leaves the rooftop...and then we see Oliver saying the same thing about Barry. That's not in character for him, especially when Oliver is the Arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks