What's new

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yep, an offshoot of Fox News. 'nuff said.

And a lot of these are making comparisons to the Batgirl situation which seems to have fired up a small segment. Without the cancellation of that project, I don't think these articles would exist.

It appears they cancelled Batgirl because everyone that saw it thought it was absolutely dreadful. Test screenings went terribly and everyone at Warner that saw it said it was a total turd. OK, I think they pulled the plug on it maybe a bit too quick because they have The Flash on their hands and the star of the picture appears to be a total turd.

They should probably quickly reverse course and release Batgirl and pull The Flash. I have no dog in the fight because I was not going to see either picture anyway but putting out a lousy Batgirl film that maybe finds an audience seems a better plan than releasing a Flash movie with a creep in the lead. I mean why would you do that?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yep, an offshoot of Fox News. 'nuff said.

And a lot of these are making comparisons to the Batgirl situation which seems to have fired up a small segment. Without the cancellation of that project, I don't think these articles would exist.

Yeah, the Post does not really do news but this kind of stuff is right up their alley. I think you gotta look at it as, they likely are correct that there will be backlash if they release The Flash and it probably tanks particularly when Miller's history with children becomes front and center. Generally, studio execs don't want to be the ones attached to releasing something with that stuff attached to it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My understanding is that Batgirl didn't fit in with the plans of the new WB regime for the DC Universe which is to maintain it as a premiere theatrical IP. The prior leadership at WB was making a mid-level original film for HBOMax and the current CEO didn't want to go in that direction. If the film was bad, then it just accelerated that decision and was probably why they didn't want to pivot to theatrical and spend all the money needed to "fix" it and bring it up to the level of a theatrical release. Warner brass has said The Flash fits into their vision for the DC Universe and they like the film, so that's why it continues to be supported (at least for now).

Yes, I believe Miller seems like a scummy creep in real life, but given his low-level of celebrity and recognition for anything on-screen, having already invested over $200 million I think WB will hold their nose and put out the film barring any worse legal news for Miller. The audience can decide if they want to see it or not. If it's a huge bomb, Miller will likely never be heard from again ... on-screen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My understanding is that Batgirl didn't fit in with the plans of the new WB regime for the DC Universe which is to maintain it as a premiere theatrical IP. The prior leadership at WB was making a mid-level original film for HBOMax and the current CEO didn't want to go in that direction.

That’s exactly it.

They’re not going to lie about this when it comes to tax disclosures to the federal government. The new management has been very clear about what it’s strategy will be going forward from the day they took over, and axing Batgirl, whether an unusual move or not, fits into exactly what they said they were going to do. No need to look for conspiracy theories or secret rationales. It wasn’t a big enough movie for theatrical release, but was too big of a movie for HBO Max following the new directive that originals for that platform be budgeted under $35 million. It had the potential to affect the plotting of future DC films, and they’ve stated that they don’t want to make decisions about the future of long term DC films storytelling until they have new leadership in place in that division. A unique provision in the tax code concerning mergers allows the company to write it off in such a way that they’re essentially being made whole by not releasing it. They had a movie that didn’t fit their new strategy and had an opportunity to get their money back. It’s really that simple.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Ezra Miller has been on the run since June the 15th.

The idea that he’s been filming new scenes for The Flash this summer (June the 21st onwards) is dubious. It’s been widely reported but is it true?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My understanding is that Batgirl didn't fit in with the plans of the new WB regime for the DC Universe which is to maintain it as a premiere theatrical IP. The prior leadership at WB was making a mid-level original film for HBOMax and the current CEO didn't want to go in that direction. If the film was bad, then it just accelerated that decision and was probably why they didn't want to pivot to theatrical and spend all the money needed to "fix" it and bring it up to the level of a theatrical release. Warner brass has said The Flash fits into their vision for the DC Universe and they like the film, so that's why it continues to be supported (at least for now).

Yes, I believe Miller seems like a scummy creep in real life, but given his low-level of celebrity and recognition for anything on-screen, having already invested over $200 million I think WB will hold their nose and put out the film barring any worse legal news for Miller. The audience can decide if they want to see it or not. If it's a huge bomb, Miller will likely never be heard from again ... on-screen.

That sounds like a cover story for just not liking the film as far as Batgirl goes. I guess Batgirl had a budget of $90 million which I suppose puts it in the middle ground of super hero pictures. I have not seen a budget on The Flash but I assume it was more than $90 million.

I had to go look Miller up to see what he has done. I had never heard of him but I have seen one picture he was in, The Stanford Prison Experiment, and I want to see a second picture he is in, Daliland which looks like he has a smaller role in. I have no idea how well known he is. It looks like he has been playing the Flash since 2016 and he has done some of the Fantastic Beasts pictures. I've not seen any of those. So, I wonder if fans expect him to be playing Flash because he has been playing the character since 2016?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Perhaps Batgirl was so bad they turned to their accountants and asked their advice on damage limitation, hence the write-off.

I do think killing the picture was about how badly it was received by everyone that saw it. The story about it not fitting a strategy sounds like a much nicer way to phrase it than just saying "Holy cow does this thing stink!"

Still, where is that old chestnut about how all the people that worked on the picture deserve to have their work seen? I guess in a case like this they don't deserve that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I do think killing the picture was about how badly it was received by everyone that saw it. The story about it not fitting a strategy sounds like a much nicer way to phrase it than just saying "Holy cow does this thing stink!"
If the movie had sucked that bad, they would have just released it on HBO Max so they could tout having a brand new "comic book blockbuster" exclusively on their streaming service. And from what I've seen from DC and Warners, they don't care what kind of garbage they release as long as it has comic book characters in it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If the movie had sucked that bad, they would have just released it on HBO Max so they could tout having a brand new "comic book blockbuster" exclusively on their streaming service. And from what I've seen from DC and Warners, they don't care what kind of garbage they release as long as it has comic book characters in it.

I honestly don't know why they did not just release it on HBO Max it is, as you say, comic book content that likely would draw some subscribers. The story of them being horrified by how bad it was sounds true and likely the new people did not want to be associated with putting that out. Common for regime change, don't let the sins of the past regime soil your tenure.

I mean that's why I think it is a horrible "strategy" to release a film meant to appeal to kids with a lead that does horribly inappropriate things with 12 year olds. What kind of strategy would we call that?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
appears they cancelled Batgirl because everyone that saw it thought it was absolutely dreadful. Test screenings went terribly and everyone at Warner that saw it said it was a total turd.
No way. This is the studio that released Catwoman with Halle Berry. They’d release a film where the projectionist literally punched everyone in the test screenings in the face.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There’s no reason to go around in circles on conspiracy theories for why they axed Batgirl. They’ve clearly explained it.

I don't know what the conspiracy theories are. They said the test screenings were awful and people from Warner have apparently told people that they thought the picture was terrible. I assume the new regime does not want that to reflect on them and so cancelled the picture. Its totally understandable and in the business you never just come out and say the picture stinks. You say something exactly like "This does not fit our current strategy/vision for the franchise."

It's just a version of the old "artistic differences" line.

They should just release it, in my opinion, and then move on. There are likely other reasons for burying it but I won't get into them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only ones saying the picture was awful are internet "sources" and anonymous social media.

Warner execs have clearly stated it's a decision related to their future direction of the DC Universe. They don't want mid-level spinoffs on streaming diluting the brand as we've seen with other streamers. They want big budget tentpoles in theaters.

Direct comments/explanation vs. internet rumor. Why do people always go for the rumor?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only ones saying the picture was awful are internet "sources" and anonymous social media.

Warner execs have clearly stated it's a decision related to their future direction of the DC Universe. They don't want mid-level spinoffs on streaming diluting the brand as we've seen with other streamers. They want big budget tentpoles in theaters.

Direct comments/explanation vs. internet rumor. Why do people always go for the rumor?

Right - they have a product that doesn’t fit their new owners’ corporate strategy and the ability to get back every dollar the previous regime put into it. What company wouldn’t take that deal under the circumstances?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is the studio that released Catwoman with Halle Berry.
Not exactly. The name on the lot is the same, but the studio is not being run the same way. The new management of Warner Bros. has differently priorities than previous regimes did.

I agree with your assessment, but the reason is because the rumor is more usually interesting to talk about and generates more clicks on fan websites. So it tends to fester.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks