What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Warner is banking that Miller is still a relative unknown. At the moment, he's more famous for his arrests than any of his films. If you asked an average person to name a film Ezra Miller has been in, the response most of the time would be a perplexed, "Who?"

And I imagine the only place his name will appear in most of Warner's promotion for the film is in the end credits of the film itself. It will be the entertainment press that will keep pushing his name out there about his legal troubles.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
If the film is released theatrically, the studio can hardly have him doing any media promotion or interviews, and as his troubles are unlikely to go away any time soon, recasting and refilming will be necessary. They would have to for any subsequent appearances of the Flash so might as well take the financial pain now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
recasting and refilming will be necessary
I'd put the odds of them doing that at about 2%.

As others have noted, he's the lead character and too much money has already been spent. Best to just release it and let what will be, be. If it's a major bomb, they can take some kind of write-off or use creative accounting to bury it in the books. But spending another $200 million to remake the film would be very much out of character for this new regime based on current practices.

And regardless of how it fares domestically, it should be a big international hit anyway.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Warner is banking that Miller is still a relative unknown. At the moment, he's more famous for his arrests than any of his films. If you asked an average person to name a film Ezra Miller has been in, the response most of the time would be a perplexed, "Who?"

Yup. Same reason Armie Hammer's weirdness doesn't appear to impact the box office of the movies he's in: dude's just not enough of a star for the general public to take notice.

Heck, I pay attention to movies way more than the Average Joe and Hammer's behavior was off my radar until I heard people mention how it might hurt "Death on the Nile"!

I doubt most people interested in "Nile" even knew Hammer was in the damned movie before they saw it, much less aware of his shenanigans! :laugh:

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

And I imagine the only place his name will appear in most of Warner's promotion for the film is in the end credits of the film itself. It will be the entertainment press that will keep pushing his name out there about his legal troubles.

I've never heard of Mr. Miller and know nothing about this film. I watched an interesting video that referenced this picture and Batgirl that was quite interesting but I can't post it here. The prediction in the video is that there are some changes coming down the pike as to how these pictures get made and who gets cast. and how they approach them as the feeling seems to be they are losing money and/or setting themselves up for failure.

Not sure myself that these changes will come to pass as the system seems to have changed too much to fix this in a short period of time. Cancellations of films and shows indicate there is a lot of displeasure with the way things are going though.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yup. Same reason Armie Hammer's weirdness doesn't appear to impact the box office of the movies he's in: dude's just not enough of a star for the general public to take notice.

Heck, I pay attention to movies way more than the Average Joe and Hammer's behavior was off my radar until I heard people mention how it might hurt "Death on the Nile"!

I doubt most people interested in "Nile" even knew Hammer was in the damned movie before they saw it, much less aware of his shenanigans! :laugh:
Miller has been on a slow-burn death-spiral for months, and there seems to be something about their abberant, crazy behavior in the news cycle at LEAST once a week, usually more. Hammer and his issues aren't even in the same league, and I'd argue that Miller is a far more recognizable actor to the general public.

Every day that this stuff continues just adds to the pile WB has to eventually deal with. Miller's behavior obviously isn't WBs fault, but the way they're handling it surely is.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Isn't there a way with all of today's digital wizardry to just remove the guy's head/face and replace it with another actor's face? Probably not inexpensive but as I understand it they do this all the time replacing stunt double's faces with the actors faces. Without a reshoot of everything couldn't they just wipe him from the film?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Isn't there a way with all of today's digital wizardry to just remove the guy's head/face and replace it with another actor's face? Probably not inexpensive but as I understand it they do this all the time replacing stunt double's faces with the actors faces. Without a reshoot of everything couldn't they just wipe him from the film?
From what I've read MIller is in practically every scene of the film. Even if they recut the movie to reduce his screen time, I'd think that both technically and financially it would be very difficult to do what you suggest.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure if that would open any legal/contractual can-o-worms by Miller, whereby they're essentially keeping his body but adding someone else's head and voice? I doubt he would consent to that, and I'm not sure with the way everything is dictated by contract then reinforced by a union, that it would be allowed?

I think they either have to just let it go, as is, or completely reshoot. About their only other option would be to cut down the film, removing any non-Flash scenes where possible, so most of his screen time is under the mask.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They're release it but the promos will focus on the plot and Keaton. Keaton's return alone will make this a blockbuster and I can totally see them adding Batman scenes. Then, recast for the next film without skipping a beat. If there is a next film, this damned movie has taken a lifetime to get done.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Miller has been on a slow-burn death-spiral for months, and there seems to be something about their abberant, crazy behavior in the news cycle at LEAST once a week, usually more. Hammer and his issues aren't even in the same league, and I'd argue that Miller is a far more recognizable actor to the general public.

Every day that this stuff continues just adds to the pile WB has to eventually deal with. Miller's behavior obviously isn't WBs fault, but the way they're handling it surely is.

I agree that Miller's shenanigans have been more public than Hammer's were.

Less sure about the "far more recognizable" thing.

Hammer's been in some actual big movies and some that were touted as big but flopped.

I guess you could argue that because EM was in "Justice League" and the "Fantastic Beasts" movies, he's more recognizable, but to me, he still feels more obscure.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I bet when they cut the trailers for this thing, none of them will show Millers face unless he is wearing his mask.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Even if they get taken to court over it if they were to make that move, it would probably get dragged out in the courts for a while and even then they would probably settle with Miller for millions, which is a lot less expensive than trying to recast/reshoot. They could tweak his voice as well to make it not sound like him.

It's also not like WB wouldn't have any defence for digitally altering the film. They can successfully make a good case for their lead actor sabotaging the film from a marketing perspective, and they are simply protecting their investment.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I don't think the problem is his head, although I don't think they should have cast someone with the same head as Alfred E. Neumann to begin with.

There's a reason there wasn't even a photograph of Kevin Spacey in the final season of House of Cards. They didn't want him in it.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I'm not sure if that would open any legal/contractual can-o-worms by Miller, whereby they're essentially keeping his body but adding someone else's head and voice? I doubt he would consent to that, and I'm not sure with the way everything is dictated by contract then reinforced by a union, that it would be allowed?

I think they either have to just let it go, as is, or completely reshoot. About their only other option would be to cut down the film, removing any non-Flash scenes where possible, so most of his screen time is under the mask.
His body is just as disturbing as his face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jktemp
Recent bookmarks