What's new

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This guy is a one man crime wave.
He should be happy that the Discovery leadership team are such penny-pinchers, otherwise they'd probably reshoot his stuff with a new actor at this point. I don't know that he's notorious enough to turn audiences off seeing the movie, but there's no way Warner Bros. can send him on the usual publicity tour ahead of the movie's release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This guy is a one man crime wave.
I think the issue here is that Miller is getting into trouble on a frequent basis, and every time they are in the news it seems to be for something worse than the last time. If they had one single incident and then got help that they clearly need, then WB could probably move forward with them. But this is clearly not an isolated case.

He should be happy that the Discovery leadership team are such penny-pinchers, otherwise they'd probably reshoot his stuff with a new actor at this point.
In this very specific case, I wouldn't call it penny pinching. Miller is playing the titular character in a huge superhero movie. I assume they are probably in every scene or close to it. Replacing them would essentially mean reshooting the film from scratch. The only time I remember something like that happening before is Back to the Future. In that case, filming hadn't wrapped yet. There was a lot to reshoot with Michael J. Fox, but not the whole film. And of course Back to the Future cost way less money than The Flash likely will.

More recently, when Warner made the decision to ax Johnny Depp from The Secrets of Dumbledore, he had only shot one scene. So that didn't set the film back too much. However, I did read somewhere that Depp had a pay-or-play deal, so he got his full salary the same as if he had finished the movie despite being fired. Nice work if you can get it.

there's no way Warner Bros. can send him on the usual publicity tour ahead of the movie's release.
I agree with this assessment, but I'm not sure what WB is supposed to do. In The Secrets of Dumbledore, Miller had a supporting role in a large ensemble. So it didn't seem weird for other cast members to handle press on that movie. Because Miller is playing the title character this time, their absence will be conspicuous. WB does have the Michael Keaton card to play because longtime fans will be excited to see his return as Batman. But even that can only go so far when your movie is called The Flash.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with this assessment, but I'm not sure what WB is supposed to do. In The Secrets of Dumbledore, Miller had a supporting role in a large ensemble. So it didn't seem weird for other cast members to handle press on that movie. Because Miller is playing the title character this time, their absence will be conspicuous.
It'll be weird but Warners is going to have to make either the female lead or another of the Flashes, the face of the press junket. At this point, Miller is so clearly off the wall that he might go on Jimmy Kimmel and punch him in the nose or threaten to kill the audience or turn into a werewolf.

One thing is for sure- there's a better chance of me being The Flash in the character's next film appearance than Ezra Miller.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It becomes harder and harder for WB to justify releasing this film theatrically. Violent outbursts by Miller are one thing, but being accused of being a child predator are at another level entirely.

I think this either has to be dumped quietly to streaming, or they just have to write it off and make a new film with a new lead actor.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I heard a suggestion of trimming the film to 90 minutes, cutting out as much as Ezra as possible, and turning it into Batman: Flashpoint starring Michael Keaton.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't want to judge what is going on between Miller and this kid. That is for them and the parents and the courts to work out. I don't, and shouldn't, have more information about a private matter. It has to be difficult for these everyday people who are getting their personal lives dragged into the media because of Moller's celebrity and I don't want to add to what they are dealing with in this situation.

But certainly Miller has to be aware that dodging the court order is a bad look.

Whether they would be able to re-edit the film to focus more on Michael Keaton depends on how large his role is. I don't think we can know that without seeing the script. If this problematic actor had been Tom Holland in Spider-Man: Homecoming, it would have been very hard to make that into an Iron Man movie. Robert Downy, Jr. is sprinkled throughout, but he doesn't have enough screen time to be bumped up to the lead in editing because his role was conceived as a supporting one. Fortunately, Tom Holland has not given Sony or Marvel any reason to have a problem.

Holland is a great example of a star who understands the importance of what his role means to people. The central part of his job is to act in the movies. But it is also important to realize that, for kids especially, you are serving as the face of their hero. He understands that the Spider-Man role means you're going to be a role model. I don't know him personally, but he seems to be a warm, genuine and well-adjusted person. Of course, he could be acting. But I don't think he is. Going around to hospitals dressed as Spider-Man to visit with sick kids isn't required of him, but he has done it because it's a nice thing to do.

The idea of Ezra Miller being a role model for kids when they are being accused of manipulating a kid feels icky and wrong. I don't claim to know what is actually going on in a relationship between people I don't know. But the icky feeling is going to pervade any Flash movie in which Ezra Miller appears. And it's not just the movie itself but all of the stuff that goes along with the movie. At the height of the Harry Potter series run, I had a huge poster of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson in their robes standing in front of Hogwarts on my bedroom wall. I'm pretty sure I had a Harry Potter calendar of them at some point too. They're on the covers of the soundtracks. They're on toys and T-shirts and all sorts of other merchandise. Their likenesses were everywhere.

The idea of kids having posters or toys or whatever of Ezra Miller in their rooms is unsettling in context of this news. I don't see how WB can responsibly put stuff like that out on the market, but of course we know that merchandising is a big part of any blockbuster hopeful of this size.

I understand that they have already shot this movie and it would be cost-prohibitive to reshoot it with a new actor. But I really don't know what they can do with it now.

The other problem is that The Flash seems to have connections to other films on DC's slate. Batgirl has finished filming too. It is known to feature J.K. Simmons as Gordon from Justice League. Simmons' character recognizes Ben Affleck as Batman from that movie. But it has already been announced that Michael Keaton is playing Batman in Batgirl. I'm not into spoilers, so I'm not asking for specifics here. But it seems to me that there has to be an in-story on-screen explanation for why J.K. Simmons will come to know Michael Keaton's Batman instead of Affleck's Batman. It sure seems like that explanation is tied to the events that happen in The Flash. So we need to see this movie to understand that one.

Plus, who knows what story threads from The Flash spin out into other currently unannounced projects? Any changes made to this movie because of the Ezra Miller situation will reverberate down the line for any future films connected to it. So this isn't just a single $200 million movie problem. Depending on what else this movie sets up, it could be a several-different-movies problem that needs to be solved.

I'm glad I'm not in charge of figuring out how to solve it.

Last edited:

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I think the best solution would be to cut down his screen time, make it a Batman film (consequently more Keaton), use only footage of The Flash with his mask on (or CGI the mask on when it isn't, if possible), potentially get a VO actor for Ezra's lines. This is truly, presently, an unmitigated disaster for WB. But for all we know, this disaster could enflame the spark of genius needed to lift this film and possibly future films in the DC line to greater heights. How very Buddhist of me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any posts referencing Aquaman movie and cast should be posted in the below thread. Thank you.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Miller seems to have given up caring about a career.
I agree with that completely. There is no question that they are done in Hollywood. But whether Miller cares or not, WB is still left holding the bag.

Even if Miller never steps on another movie set for the rest of their life -- even if they don't help to promote the film -- they are still in the movie. Putting out this movie with them in the lead will still result in kids and teens looking up to them. I don't know how WB can responsibly encourage that at this point.

Of course, it is not financially responsible to throw out a movie of this size and cost and start over. But I don't think there is an easy solution for how to release it in this condition either.

And yet, WB hasn't made any statements at all regarding any of Miller's publicly reported incidents over the last couple of years. It seems like the studio executives think the situation will just go away if they bury their heads in the sand and ignore it. They must be talking about things internally, but at this point publicly it appears the film is still scheduled for release next June full steam ahead. But Miller just keeps escalating their bizarre behavior. It is clear that this is not going to go away. So what has to happen before WB addresses this? The fact that the movie isn't scheduled for another year would seem to buy them time, but it just looks bad for WB to ignore this big of an elephant in the room while their star continues to behave in such an extreme and erratic manner.

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Miller has responded to the allegations:

Now, the Justice League star has seemingly responded to these allegations with a series of bizarre Instagram Story posts. The first features a caption saying, "You cannot touch me...I am in another Universe." The next reads "Message From Another Dimension," while a third shows a cartoon figure throwing up and the caption, "Me remembering how I was nice when I should have said, 'Who the f**k do [you] think you're talking to?" There's another meme implying that people have been causing Miller a headache, while the final one is a rambling quote talking about "negative people," "hidden intent," and "hidden enemies."

https://comicbookmovie.com/the_flas...-theyre-in-another-universe-a194290#gs.3q07wr

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bet Warner is wishing they'd just cast Grant Gustin right about now.

Miller has really gone 'round the bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks