What's new

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nick was supposed to play Superman in a Tim Burton Superman movie that was never made but was pulled days before shooting was to begin.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Andy Muschietti says they will not recast Ezra Miller if there's a sequel.

I don't think it would be up to Muschietti.

The decision on whether or not Miller continues would almost certainly go up to the very top of Warner Bros. Discovery and whether or not the studio is comfortable continuing to be in business with them given their erratic behavior. At this point, the discussion would be less about the quality of their performance and more about whether continuing to employ them would be a risk for the studio.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it would be up to Muschietti.
Agreed. I get the feeling that Warner's PR firm has told all involved with The Flash to be supportive of Miller because anything less would just cause more bad press. Based simply on what I see, a lot of the bad press from Miller's actions has (miraculously) died down somewhat and people just seem excited to see the movie.

I think that a sequel is likely to be a nonissue anyway because Miller's Flash will probably be rebooted with James Gunn's movies. Best case for Miller is that they can get healthy and then maybe they'll bring back the Miller Flash in a multi-verse movie in a few years.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Now at 73%. Not bad, but Warners were probably hoping for better, with all of their early screenings and early review embargo.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Stephen King gives his stamp of approval to The Flash? That is worth nothing coming from the guy who wrote and directed "Maximum Overdrive". :laugh:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Im Actually surprised at that “low” RT score. I was expecting much higher due to the advance buzz and trailers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was expecting much higher due to the advance buzz and trailers.

I don't mean this to brag, but I do want to share my perspective here. I was invited to an advance screening of this last night (June 8) so of course I went. I think the euphoric advance buzz might actually hurt this film.

I promise these comments are general impressions and will not include plot information. If you're avoiding spoilers, you won't find any here.

Just as a disclaimer, I skipped Justice League after hating Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. I like Michael Keaton as an actor and I understand why his Batman films are important to the history of the genre. But my first Batman was Christian Bale, so I don't have childhood nostalgia for Keaton's version of the character like many others do. I'm also not particularly knowledgable about DC in general, so I'm sure there were some Easter eggs and references that superfans will love but I didn't get. In this case, I very much represent an general audience moviegoer rather than an informed superfan.

That being said, I went in with an open mind, ready to receive whatever the film wanted to give me. And it turns out I liked what I got here. The movie is good, solid entertainment and I enjoyed watching it. Even at 2 hours and 24 minutes, it felt very well-paced and kept me interested and invested throughout. Although I'm sure I didn't get all the references, I didn't have a problem following the major plot points and never felt confused. I don't think I would have gone to this movie if I hadn't been invited. But I ended up being glad I saw this.

The casting is excellent here. Ezra Miller's personal drama has certainly been disturbing. I thought their presence might be distracting, but it wasn't. I don't by any means endorse their behavior, but the movie was good enough that I didn't dwell on it. I don't recall any scenes without Miller, so cutting them out would have meant throwing out the whole film. Affleck's role is brief, but I really liked where the narrative left him. Keaton is wonderful. Sasha Calle is especially strong and I would very much like to see more of her, so hopefully this movie opens some doors for her.

I've seen buzz going around that this is one of the greatest superhero films of all time, and I think that is overselling it. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who is interested in seeing it. But this is not a revolutionary game-changer, and hype to the contrary might be inflating fans' expectations. It's certainly a good movie. If you think it looks entertaining from the trailers, you'll probably enjoy it. The audience I saw it with was full to capacity and really seemed to be into it. There was a lot of laughter and excitement in the room. But I also don't think this is a stunning masterpiece.

It's merely a good movie, and there is nothing wrong with being a good movie. I don't want this to sound negative or like I'm bashing it. There is no reason for me to do that. I liked it more than I thought I would given modest expectations. But superfans might want to put their expectations in check. Or maybe superfans will lose their minds. I don't know. But you might get more out of it if you don't expect to lose your mind.

The last thing I want to do is issue a general spoiler warning. There are some surprises in this movie that have not leaked yet that are going to cause a lot of discussion as soon as people start seeing it. I don't want to be that guy and have avoided talking about the plot for this reason. But if it is important to you to remain unspoiled, I would recommend seeing it as soon as you can. I don't think the surprises are going to stay under wraps for very long once this thing hits.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Virtually every major film that gets released will be oversold by one party, and shaded by another. It's like the old line about assholes and opinions, so I never get worked up about buzz quotes from previewers. I'm less concerned about whether someone else likes it or dislikes it than why they like it or dislike it.

The Flash looks like it's going to be a blast, and I plan to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks