Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is on DVD?!?!?

I want Flash, but the other is greater!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I would love to have this cancelled to soon show on dvd.

Smallville spoilers
Their will be an episode of Smallville where a Kid Flash (Bart Allen) will appear. Hopefully, they can get John Wesley Shipp (the Flash from the tv show) to make a cameo.

Burn Rourk

Agent
I'd love to buy this series. I remember they did a pretty good job with it. I'm a fan of all things DC, and a complete series set would be a most appreciated addition to my collection.:emoji_thumbsup:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Percebe, this comes from the same Warner Bros promotional piece that has caused problems over the past few weeks. Nowhere in the pice does it say the shows featured as background photos will be released on DVD. The piece talks about how Warner Bros is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Warner Television.

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger by including your name in this, I just want people to be aware that all these Warner rumors are highly speculative and should be treated as such.

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
yup, that's what Bill posted at The Bits, mostly in response to DavisDVD.com claiming they did "research" to learn what Warner was releasing, then retracting their "research" later.

Gord

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only thing I remember about this show is M. Emmett Walsh in a hospital room talking about being shot, rubbing his shoulder and saying "...I was out the next day hunting him down".

Eric F

Screenwriter
The only thing I can remember was that the doctor-lady was hot.

I guess we all have our priorities.;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Flash is NOT coming at this time. I've been newly assured that it wasn't even on the radar scope, and that people at Warner who would know for a fact if it was in-the-works were simply flabbergasted at the Internet rumors. Their faces looked like this: :eek:

The silver lining to this dark cloud, I would hope, is that the controversy has put the show on the DVD department's radar scope. No way to know for sure that it has, but we can hope. Keep voting for the show at TVShowsOnDVD (genuine votes: 1 per household from people who WOULD buy a DVD if released...no "voting for friends" and no creating multiple accounts (we'll know about the last one) and no inflating the count), and we'll continue to bring it up to Warner, as we've done for a long while now.

Amanda Pays ("Dr. Tine McGee") was indeed hot, and she also was in her first breakout role in Max Headroom. If she had some new film coming down the pike that stood out, then WB might try to release both Flash and Max Headroom as a tie-in to it. However, she is relatively low-key these days in the biz: she's married to Corbin Benson (L.A. Law's "Arnie Becker") and she primarily does work on her "StylePays" collection of interior decorating designs. In 2002 she started hosting a show on the Fine Living Network called Breathing Room, which of course is about interior decorating, but I have no idea if that show's still on anymore.

Can we depend on Ms. Pays for a new project that would tie in to The Flash? Mmmmm...I don't think so. It sounds like it better be Batman (Returns) to the rescue! Warner could tie in Flash to Batman, much like they tied in the release of Wonder Woman's first season to the film debut of the 2nd Spider-Man flick.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Tory, just to address this: No, not the TV series. The original great film that inspired the series is indeed on DVD, as part of the 20th Century Fox Studio Classics line-up (spine #6 out of the two dozen that have streeted so far...I have every one!).

I'd love the TV series myself, but so far there's been no word.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
WB would have better luck promoting a release around Mark Hamill's Trickster appearance than around Amanda Pays (if she had any draw, I'd have Oxford Blues on DVD by now!). That show had quite a few kinda impressive guest stars.

The WB network thought the Flash character had enough name recognition to promote a recent Smallville episode around...well, the Smallville version of the character.

With how well superhero movies are doing, I'd think this would be a no-brainer.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Last year I suggested Warner have a mini-promotion for their superhero lineup of shows (since they have so many of them). Maybe we'll see something like that in the future.

Gord

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Not to derail the topic too much, but anyone else remember when the people who were involved with The Flash briefly adapted another DC property into a series on ABC?

I remember The Human Target with Rick Springfield starting pretty much after The Flash ended. It didn't survive quite as long as The Flash did...

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
There was a blurb on AICN the other day:

If this ever gets off the ground maybe they will do the tie-in around release date. Still, could be some years off.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Brandon, I do. It was created by Pet Fly productions, who also created the Flash. I have all of the episodes, even the alternate pilot. It was an interesting show to bad it wasn't even given a full or even 1/2 season. If I remember correctly. Their was only 7 or 9 episodes.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Resurrecting this ancient thread. Slightly surprised there hasn't been more discussion on the excellent but short-lived TV series The Flash (1990-1991), starring John Wesley Shipp & Amanda Pays. I do remember seeing these episodes when they originally ran on TV. I remember the show was well-done for the era, with great production values, solid casting, good story-lines/writing & decent effects - especially the "speed" effect re: the Flash's running, etc.

In addition - the comic book aspect was emphasized, and there was a lot of attention paid to the "look" of Crescent City (the setting) re: the neon lights/colors/etc. And, the Flash suit looked great; the "look" was similar to the Batman '89 suit...not so much in specific appearance but more the fact that both appeared "molded" on, etc.

Villains on the show included the demented Trickster (Mark Hamill - in one of his rare non-Star Wars roles); Captain Cold; etc.

I do remember reading somewhere that the show was quite expensive to produce ATT due to the effects; The complexity of Flash's suit; etc. And, given that viewership was poor - I'm not at all surprised it was cancelled. At least we got 22 episodes (a full season).

IIRC, I got a promotional?! DVD with 1-2 episodes of this series back in the early-mid 200X's.

Thankfully, the entire series was eventually released to DVD back in 2006. I never got it at that time for whatever reason. However, I recently saw this (again) for a fantastic price - and picked it up. I suspect this DVD set was re-released due to the new film. In any case, looking forward to seeing these great episodes again. I haven't seen the show in it's entirety since it last aired on TV.

Obviously, this all-but-forgotten series has been overshadowed by the much more recent (and much longer running) Flash TV series & the new film. It's nice that Shipp also appeared in the new Flash series - obviously as an homage to this older show.

I will post more once I delve into the set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R2P
Recent bookmarks