What's new

The Five Scenes You Use to Demonstrate Surround Sound (1 Viewer)

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Tough question! :D

Three that I haven't seen mentioned here:

The Abyss - Special edition (DD)
The opening scene makes me feel like I'm in a doomed submarine.

Contact - Special Edition (DD)
The opening sceen of broadcast chaos must really be like what you'd hear if you lived on Vega.

True Lies (THX)
What can I say except, "Yes. But they were all bad."

(Subject to change without notice. Results not typical. Your mileage may vary. Individual results will vary. Yadda, yadda, yadda.)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I use:

1) The lightsaber sequence from TPM. I also use the pod race - but I have a thing for "Duel of the Fates"

2) The U-571 depth charge sequence. Everyone who has heard this with a non-powered sub & then hear it again on my entry-level powered sub - goes out & gets an upgrade :)

3) Saving Private Ryan - D-Day in DTS. Enough said.

4) Pearl Harbor - Say what you want about the overall film - I still love the audio on the attack itself.

5) AOTC seismic charge sequence - from nothing to everything in a second.

6) Crimson Tide - Don't laugh - but the newbies to HT that I have dealt with enjoy the simple things - like hearing the sound of torpedoes going from one side to another.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i'm glad requiem for a dream has already been mentioned. i demo that movie for myself alot. huge surround presense at nearly every stage of the movie. tears of the sun had great surround effects while going through the jungle. and another of my favorites is the flyover in the beginning of AOTC, especially if you've got some good surround speakers.

eash

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I think this is one of the best action sequences in history and a big part of it is the sound. However, I'm not that impressed with the use of 5.1 in this scene on the current DVD. Its not bad but I didn't find it particularly dynamic either.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
alright i don't have a great home theater but the opening of silverado always seemed good for showing off.

Lou_Toth

Auditioning
I like Band of Brothers, Disc 7 The Breaking Point. It's pretty uneventful soundwise, but when the Germans begin shelling Bastogne, watch out!!
Lou

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Hm.. reading through this thread, I began to wonder about what I would use... I do it so rarely, and it seems like so many of the good titles are, in fact, fairly 'old.'

1. Opening Lion King, ending with the main title. Either mix; the Home Theater mix if you want to wow people.

2. Casper, DTS. This was the first film soundtrack where I felt that they tried to create a true, 3-d sound-stage, rather than a straight, loud-thump 5.1 mix.

3. I'm rather partial to the DTS Piano trailer.

4. The Empire Strikes Back Dolby Stereo. I'm not kidding, here; I really mean this. With a good pair of speakers, or with a DPL system. From the opening music, the launch of the probe droids, one crashing on Hoth, through Han Solo entering the base and going through the main control room and into a small room (the Nerf Herder room?) A good mix of environments, and, as I hinted above, a good stereo playback can create a far more realistic surround environment than a DPL system. Try it.

5. I'm sure there must be something else...

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I still reach for the opening sequence of Toy Story 2 as my first and favorite demo scene. It's got it all and appeals to most everyone I know.

After that:

1)THX Ultimate Demo dics for the THX trailers, Jungle Sounds, and WOW (it's just cool).
2)Super Speedway (an oldie but a goodie)
3)Saving Private Ryan if the audience is right
4)Pod Race, Ep. I

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Currently my faves are:-

1. Peter Gabriel/Growing Up Live
Track "Growing Up".Excellent picture but an incredible DTS mix with fantastic bass extension.
2. Tarzan
Opening scene, great percussion, excellent rear effects.
3. Black Hawk Down
The "Irene" scene.
4. X-Men 2
Nightcrawler opening scene.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

Leo, out of curiosity, what do you like about this trailer? I don't mean to sound like I am criticizing you, even though that's what it looks like in print. I really am just curious because I don't get what they're trying to do with this one.

My favorite five demo scenes are:

1. Fast and Furious (DTS) the final race scene. I like this one because I feel it is a great demo for my Bass Shakers. Makes you almost feel like you're in the cars. I like the surround usage too.

Depends on age of attending...
2a. Final Destination 2 (DTS-ES) Chapter 2, the opening highway scene. Beautiful PQ on this disc, and this scene is so intense. I like the use of surrounds at the very beginning where the semi drives by in the rear surrounds.

2b. Toy Story 2 The opening sequence. The words, "Toy Story" can bottom out unworthy subs!

3. The Haunting (DTS-ES) Chapter 10 Nice surrounds, and the LFE is the loudest I have ever heard my sub play. Made me jump the first time.:b

4. Titan A.E. (DTS) The Icefield. Nice surrounds, loud LFE

5. T3: Rise of the Machines (DD) I don't have the DTS version as I am in Region 1, but the DD track is one of the most aggressive mixes I have ever heard! I always use the crane scene. The LFE when Arnold is driven through the building is very cool.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Let me add a few scenes...
Apollo 13
-Lift-off
-Explosion in space

Superman
-Krypton's destruction

Star Wars Episode II
-Asteroid field

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
house on haunted hill great atmos in dolby made me jump but wouldnt in stereo that makes a demo for me when the sound makes the movie

mi:2 the bike bit at the end esp the front wheelie

x:2 the inside the xjet bit really woke me up

the whole of black hawk down in dts w o w

tie the one superbit dts / heat dts jap import for subtle effects and attention to detail

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Battle Royale Opening
Final Fantasy Spirits Within - dream sequence
LOTR FOTR - opening battle w/ narration
T2 Extreme - THX
Toy Story 2 opening
Jurassic Park -- DTS Second Pressing
HERO DTS SE - Arrow Scene

More, but forgetting...

ty_diaz

Agent
ohhh ok. I was a bit worried that I had missed that one on DTS.

I'm looking forward to the Spiderman Superbit Edition. I may put it on this list.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
George_W_K,

with regards to the DTS Piano trailer, I think it's because they aren't trying to be outlandishly funky with it that makes it work.

There is a wide range of 'stuff' going on, but it isn't really out to kick people in their buts like, say, the DTS Flying Disc or Dolby Helicopter do. It does sort of cover the full range, and it does go everywhere. Plus, it's a view of a piano not often seen...

I don't know; it's just kind of neat.

Of course, compared to the DTS flying disc trailer, almost anything's better... although I do also like the Dolby Train that hasn't gotten any screen time in the last few years...

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks