What's new

The first William Castle-directed film out on Blu-ray... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mill Creek is producing some interesting Columbia pairings in their ultra-cheap line, and here they combine Castle's black and white MR. SARDONICUS with the not-so-hot BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN (I would rather have seen THE TINGLER as the second feature, but hey....)

So, this beats out the more expected HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL as Castle's first Blu-ray directorial effort, one I have always had a fondness for.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Actually, I thought Olive's release of Castle's Shanks was going to be the first with a May 28th release, but it seems this Mill Creek one will beat it by a couple weeks.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Actually, the first ones were PROJECT X and THE SPIRIT IS WILLING. :D

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JoHud said:
Oh, yeah! Forgot about those :)
So did the rest of Castle fans who prefer Homicial Straight-Jacket, the Tingler, House on Haunted Hill etc :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Is Mill Creek getting the transfers from these from Sony? My worry about House on Haunted Hill is that we'll just get some blu version of the existing dvd as seems to be happening with pd titles.
Dick said:
Mill Creek is producing some interesting Columbia pairings in their ultra-cheap line, and here they combine Castle's black and white MR. SARDONICUS with the not-so-hot BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN (I would rather have seen THE TINGLER as the second feature, but hey....)

So, this beats out the more expected HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL as Castle's first Blu-ray directorial effort, one I have always had a fondness for.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Although it's a welcome surprise that Mill Creek will be releasing Mr. Sardonicus at a can't-beat price, the collector in me is still hoping that Homicidal receives a Twilight Time showcase. Of all the Castle films, I just think that its fascinating production background and rare Hugo Friedhofer score would be better served via Julie Kirgo liner notes plus an IST.

At this point, probably wishful thinking though...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
While the DVD the House on Haunded Hill left much to be desired, it was a WB release so they'd probably put some work into it. The trouble is, being a PD film, they likely won't release a blu-ray anytime soon.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JoHud said:
While the DVD the House on Haunded Hill left much to be desired, it was a WB release so they'd probably put some work into it. The trouble is, being a PD film, they likely won't release a blu-ray anytime soon.
I am not an expert, but for a DVD, I thought the DVD of House on Haunted Hill was great. Does Sony own the elements on this title? It may be that all they need is a good scan. To my understanding, a blu release of the old DVD transfer would even be a significant improvement.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JoeDoakes said:
I am not an expert, but for a DVD, I thought the DVD of House on Haunted Hill was great. Does Sony own the elements on this title? It may be that all they need is a good scan. To my understanding, a blu release of the old DVD transfer would even be a significant improvement.
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL was an Allied Artists film but has fallen into Public Domian. Warners has the elements, since they control most Allied Artist titles and did a DVD release to tie into the 1999 remake. That release from Warners was to me the best. Perhaps WAC could do a Blu release.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
i absolutely agee that HOMICIDAL would make a great Twilight Time disc, especially with Hugo Friedhofer's score isolated.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Homicidal (1961) is something I've read about for years. Castle's response to Hitchcock's Psycho (1960), this continues to stoke curiosity. A score by Hugo Friedhofer? Hopefully this hits in October or perhaps next year. For someone who's wanted to see it, TT is ideal. Here's hoping.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Homicidal is a curiosity for sure. And in the wake of Psycho, Castle was unabashed in his promotion of its Hitchcockian elements. But the picture has its own creepy voice and tone...derivative perhaps, but not a schuck. I still think it's the best thing Castle ever did.

BTW, hi Bruce!*

* To some folks on that 'other' forum, apparently I've now started talking to myself. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks