What's new

The first hints of Star Wars in 4k.... (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I'll be the dissenting voice, so far, on this. No. That's not how the VII and VIII were originally made and the fanfare shouldn't be there. Fox had nothing to do with their production.
I was hoping back before TFA came out that they would use the fanfare music over the Disney logo, perhaps just the final wide shot of the Sleeping Beaty castle with the first part, then the rest over the Lucasfilm logo. Would have been a nice consolation to not seeing the Fox logo before a SE film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm hearing reports that they altered the Greedo scene again, I haven't had a chance to see it for myself yet.
I watched it and can confirm that they did. Now there's a shot of very quick shot of Greedo saying "Maclunkey!" (in a voice that doesn't match the original) before getting shot.

It's been 7 years since he sold Star Wars so one can blame George for this one.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I watched it and can confirm that they did. Now there's a shot of very quick shot of Greedo saying "Maclunkey!" (in a voice that doesn't match the original) before getting shot.

I honestly can't tell if that's a joke or not.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

WTF? Why? WHY WHY WHY?!?!? Good LORD, just leave it alone!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I recall he further tweaked it, likely as a result of the initial backlash. The first edit was Greedo clearly shooting first--which not only went against the whole Han character arc, but also diminishes him as a bad-a$$ smuggler who wasn't about to get punked by some bounty hunter. Also it went away from the original homage scene from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly where Angel Eyes shoots the farmer through the table while eating with him at the beginning of the scene. If you see how the OUT version plays out, it looks and feels very similar to that shoot-from-under-and-through-the-table-scene, and note how the other guy didn't get a shot off first.

But after the initial backlash, he didn't revert the scene, but rather further altered it so that the shots are *almost simultaneous*...like that would placate those who had issues with the change in the first place.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was hoping back before TFA came out that they would use the fanfare music over the Disney logo, perhaps just the final wide shot of the Sleeping Beaty castle with the first part, then the rest over the Lucasfilm logo. Would have been a nice consolation to not seeing the Fox logo before a SE film.

I guess...? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, Disney now owns Fox, but when The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were made, that wasn't the case. Moreover, Fox had nothing to do with those movies, production wise. Just because we miss the fanfare on these films isn't a good enough reason to put the fanfare there where it doesn't belong.

In the grand scheme of things, yes it feels weird after 30 years of hearing it. For a new generation, this is going to be the norm and the fanfare will be weird.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I guess...? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, Disney now owns Fox, but when The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were made, that wasn't the case. Moreover, Fox had nothing to do with those movies, production wise. Just because we miss the fanfare on these films isn't a good enough reason to put the fanfare there where it doesn't belong.

In the grand scheme of things, yes it feels weird after 30 years of hearing it. For a new generation, this is going to be the norm and the fanfare will be weird.
Perhaps it was just me, but I HEAVILY associate the Fox fanfare to SW specifically. When I would watch ANY Fox film growing up SW popped into my head when it played (well, when half of it played anyways). I know it’s not something that will be special for future generations, but starting up a SW film without the fanfare will forever be a little weird. Not a big deal though.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Star Wars saved the iconic fan fare as by the time Star Wars came out in 1977, the fan fare was hardly being used and was most likely to end completely by the end of that decade. Good thing this film came along and made it the staple that anyone still associates 20th Century Fox productions with.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Huh, I didn't blame it on Lucas because I figured any more changes he made would have at least been on the versions released on iTunes.

Maybe it was a condition of the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney that he gets to screw with the original films in perpetuity.
Maybe but I would imagine that he's friendly enough with Kathleen Kennedy that if he wanted to make yet another weird minor change that he'd allowed to. It's not like he wanted to do new effects or something that was expensive.

This is just another change that makes me wonder why. I understand Lucas wanting to make Mos Eisley more busy or improve the effects in the space battle but like putting more rocks in front of R2-D2, this one is just weird and accomplishes nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks