What's new

The first hints of Star Wars in 4k.... (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I read about the Documentary, but it seems like that explanation was translated from some other language... in fact, it didn't really say much of anything.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’d re-buy all the previous SW films I already own in a 4K box set (R1 and Solo included), if they include the unaltered OT. But otherwise, I’d be satisfied with buying Rogue One by itself on 4K if ever available, and then call the rest of my SW collection good. I’m fine with TFA on Blu-ray only (it’s not my favorite), and will inevitably own Rise of Skywalker on 4K. But Disney can grease my wheels with the unaltered OT.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It seems weird to include Rogue One and Solo along with the trilogies but it also seems weird to have RO be the only SW movie not released in 4K too.

"R1" can get a 4K release and not be in a box! They're allowed to release movies on their own! :D

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I will only get this or any future Blu ray release if the original cuts are included. The altering of the scenes by George Lucas really ruined it for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"R1" can get a 4K release and not be in a box! They're allowed to release movies on their own! :D
Yeah but I think not including RO will get all but the most hardcore fans to pass on buying it. A box set of 9 movies in 4K has to be at least $150 (and I think $200 is more likely) and then you also have spend another $30 for RO after already spending about $200 on the set? I'm crazy enough to spend that much no problem but even among SW fans, I'm out of control. :) My guess is that all the movies will be available in one box but it'll be strange either way.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but I think not including RO will get all but the most hardcore fans to pass on buying it. A box set of 9 movies in 4K has to be at least $150 (and I think $200 is more likely) and then you also have spend another $30 for RO after already spending about $200 on the set? I'm crazy enough to spend that much no problem but even among SW fans, I'm out of control. :) My guess is that all the movies will be available in one box but it'll be strange either way.

I don't think the potential exclusion of "R1" from a "Star Wars" box would impact sales one bit.

Seriously - what "Star Wars" fan would pass on a big box because it's missing one ancillary movie? Makes no sense!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Also, I really think "R1" and "Solo" would be out of place in a box. You want the so-called "Skywalker Saga", not movies that focus on related characters.

Not saying the inclusion of "R1" or "Solo" would prevent sales, but they're not appropriate for a set that focuses on Episodes 1-9...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the potential exclusion of "R1" from a "Star Wars" box would impact sales one bit.

Seriously - what "Star Wars" fan would pass on a big box because it's missing one ancillary movie? Makes no sense!
No, I'm saying Rogue One will suffer in terms of sales because people will have just spent a decent amount of money on the Episode movies and all but the biggest fans probably will be less inclined to spend another $30 on RO at the same time.

Granted, if they release RO at the same time as Episode IX in March or April and a box set of I to IX in the fall, that would solve the problem.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
If the original 3 films (unhacked) are made available in quality 4K disks I will make a purchase. Otherwise, the LD box set will remain my record of SW. I gave away my DVD's and never bought the Blu-ray's.

It's all about the customer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm saying Rogue One will suffer in terms of sales because people will have just spent a decent amount of money on the Episode movies and all but the biggest fans probably will be less inclined to spend another $30 on RO at the same time.

Granted, if they release RO at the same time as Episode IX in March or April and a box set of I to IX in the fall, that would solve the problem.

Yeah, there's no reason they have to release a 4K of "R1" at the same time as a box.

There's no reason they have to release a 4K of "R1" along with something else - it could stand alone.

Heck, there's no reason they have to release a 4K of "R1" at all! :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Almost 3 years since the release of that "news" on Techradar and no sign of a 4K release of the original STAR WARS. I'd say that pretty well puts that possibility to bed. Also, any time someone refers to the film as STAR WARS Episode IV: A New Hope is just a signal to me that any 4K release will be the altered version, not the original.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Because...???
Because.
eleven_tufnel.gif

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
There are only 3 Star Wars movies I am sincerely interested in owning: the original 3, unaltered, and, digitally remastered to the highest level of current excellence available, with the original Fox and Lucasfilms logos reinstated. Already own the altered box set from some years back on Blu and have my original LaserDiscs of the unaltered editions. They came in a box, with a collector's book - hardbound, and lithographs, and, cost me a whopping $450.00 U.S. back in 1994. Given the ludicrous absence of the original unaltered trilogy in any hi-def format, this money was very well spent indeed. No regrets. They're not for sale - at any price!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, any time someone refers to the film as STAR WARS Episode IV: A New Hope is just a signal to me that any 4K release will be the altered version, not the original.
I wouldn't take that as a sign of anything really because once the prequels started using the Episode #s heavily in their marketing, the originals became more widely known as Episodes IV, V and VI. As far as I know, the last time a home video release was simply Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back or Return Of The Jedi was the 1997 laserdisc and VHS release of the special editions (yes, it said "Star Wars Special Edition", etc. but they weren't using the numbers on the cover yet).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There are only 3 Star Wars movies I am sincerely interested in owning: the original 3, unaltered, and, digitally remastered to the highest level of current excellence available, with the original Fox and Lucasfilms logos reinstated. Already own the altered box set from some years back on Blu and have my original LaserDiscs of the unaltered editions. They came in a box, with a collector's book - hardbound, and lithographs, and, cost me a whopping $450.00 U.S. back in 1994. Given the ludicrous absence of the original unaltered trilogy in any hi-def format, this money was very well spent indeed. No regrets. They're not for sale - at any price!

That will never happen. I have stated multiple times that Bootleg Blu-Ray sets have been selling at a feverish pace on E-Bay for over 4 years. Thousands upon thousands of copies being sold. If Disney had any interest whatsoever in those unaltered versions being sold they would have been taken down the first, or second day they were made available. They weren't, and still readily available today. 4+ years...I even reported it to E-Bay.

Ever see a bootleg Blu-Ray of Moana, or The Incredibles being sold on E-Bay? I haven't.

Clemdog

Grip
Real Name
Lee Bombard
That will never happen. I have stated multiple times that Bootleg Blu-Ray sets have been selling at a feverish pace on E-Bay for over 4 years. Thousands upon thousands of copies being sold. If Disney had any interest whatsoever in those unaltered versions being sold they would have been taken down the first, or second day they were made available. They weren't, and still readily available today. 4+ years...I even reported it to E-Bay.

Ever see a bootleg Blu-Ray of Moana, or The Incredibles being sold on E-Bay? I haven't.

Disney+ is up and running on my Roku and the Star Wars films are streaming in 4K HDR and Atmos!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Disney+ is up and running on my Roku and the Star Wars films are streaming in 4K HDR and Atmos!

Did Disney delete the 20th Century Fox fanfare intro, as I've seen clips on YouTube of what the original trilogy looks like on iTunes and both Empire and Jedi have the fanfare omitted and replaced by the new Lucasfilm logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks