What's new

The first hints of Star Wars in 4k.... (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Maclunkey!

I haven't watched the first Star Wars film since all of the unnecessary additions were made, but I had to watch it this time just to see the final nail in the coffin be driven into that Solo/Greedo scene by Lucas.

It did not disappoint. I'm still laughing at how GL took one of the iconic scenes in the film and turned it into a Stooges moment. It was like his final finger to STAR WARS fans.

I start laughing as soon as I picture Greedo yelling Maclunkey before being gunned down.

When I first saw this reported, my brain was thinking it was "malarkey" said. lol But I think that probably would have been better fitting for Greedo to say and describes this whole altered scene that started 22 years ago. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The fact that Lucas decided later on he would like to revisit the trilogy, turning it into a franchise, because he was suffering from the fallout of a costly/messy divorce and needed some quick cash, is not a valid reason to take a cultural artifact and change it.
That's not a fact. Lucas didn't divorce until 1983 and shortly after the first movie, he was saying there would be nine or twelve movies in total & by 1980, The Empire Strikes Back was called Episode V so he was already envisioning more than just a trilogy way before his marriage ended.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
That's not a fact. Lucas didn't divorce until 1983 and shortly after the first movie, he was saying there would be nine or twelve movies in total & by 1980, The Empire Strikes Back was called Episode V so he was already envisioning more than just a trilogy way before his marriage ended.

Lucas' divorce settlement of a reported $50 million payout, came about after an acrimonious and bitter courtroom battle royale and was, for its time, a crippling influence on his finances. Some estimates have put the divorce settlement as high as a 60/40 split of his assets in the wife's favor. Not saying Lucas was destitute afterward, but he had expenses too - Skywalker Ranch and ILM for starters, and no hits on the horizon to recoup such losses. So, going back to the Star Wars' franchise likely made sense. When in doubt, fall back on what you know. It's still no reason to alter the original trilogy. That was my only point.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

From Topps Star Wars #75 (red border series):

MOVIE FACTS
Long Live STAR WARS(tm): This wonderful fantasy-adventure, loved by both critcs and viewers, is destined to become the biggest and most popular motion picture of all time. Folks from 20th Century-Fox [who produced STAR WARS(tm)] assure us that there will be several sequels to the spectacular space fantasy, possibly set during a time before the first film took place. In the meantime we have STAR WARS(tm) No. I to enjoy over and over again at our local theater!

Basically they were already talking about prequels as early as 1978.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK

MOVIE FACTS
Long Live STAR WARS(tm): This wonderful fantasy-adventure, loved by both critcs and viewers, is destined to become the biggest and most popular motion picture of all time. Folks from 20th Century-Fox [who produced STAR WARS(tm)] assure us that there will be several sequels to the spectacular space fantasy, possibly set during a time before the first film took place. In the meantime we have STAR WARS(tm) No. I to enjoy over and over again at our local theater!

Yes, but even more interestingly, no prequels emerged after 1983, a time when Lucas could have worked from the vantage of momentum already built up in the 'franchise' and still have relied on elements from the original cast to be reassembled, aged in reverse, and, to partake of the exercise.

But no - the first prequel did not surface until 1999, by which time Lucas' finances were not in the best of fiscal health. Lucas' holdings since 1999 and, estimated today, are at a cool $6 billion. Quite a reverse in circumstances.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but even more interestingly, no prequels emerged after 1983, a time when Lucas could have still relied on elements from the original cast to be reassembled, aged in reverse, and, to partake of the exercise. No, the first prequel did not surface until 1999, by which time Lucas' finances were not in the best of fiscal health. Lucas' holdings since 1999 and, estimated today, are at a cool $6 billion. Quite a reverse in circumstances.
In my mind, that he waited 15 years to do the prequels means that he didn't need the money. If it was only about money, he could have done them in the mid to late 80's when his wallet was hit by the 'end' of Star Wars and before its semi-rebirth in the early 90's. And of course he has more money now than he did 20 years ago. Between 1999 and 2012, he made and owned three movies that made over $2 billion, he owned the merchandising rights that would generate hundreds of millions in a 'bad' year and he sold it all to Disney.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't think Lucas made the prequels for the money. I also don't think he made them because he was particularly interested in telling those stories. I think they allowed him to play with technology in a way that would pay for itself. They're basically test footage for digital cinema, which I think is really what he was interested in.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

MOVIE FACTS

Yeah, if you read the original drafts of the screenplays for Star Wars (the original), there was way too much story to fit into a single film and a lot of backstory. With that said, the first few drafts bear little to no resemblance to the film that ended up on the screen, thank goodness. There's a reason they were turned down by every studio. It wasn't until Lucas brought in other folks to work on the script that it took form as something recognizable. The original few drafts read more like the Prequel scripts: Needlessly complex and with characters that are paper-thin and unrelatable. They're certainly worth reading, just to see how lucky George Lucas should consider himself.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah, if you read the original drafts of the screenplays for Star Wars (the original), there was way too much story to fit into a single film and a lot of backstory. With that said, the first few drafts bear little to no resemblance to the film that ended up on the screen, thank goodness. There's a reason they were turned down by every studio. It wasn't until Lucas brought in other folks to work on the script that it took form as something recognizable. The original few drafts read more like the Prequel scripts: Needlessly complex and with characters that are paper-thin and unrelatable. They're certainly worth reading, just to see how lucky George Lucas should consider himself.

All Katz and Huyeck did was a quick dialog polish. Moving away from the blatant Kurosawa pastiches was something George did on his own starting with the third draft, and eventually the fourth after axing the Khyber Crystal as the second, unnecessary, MacGuffin.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ever see a bootleg Blu-Ray of Moana, or The Incredibles being sold on E-Bay? I haven't.

Anything Disney is sold as a Bootleg on Ebay -- check out any listing or sold listing from Sri Lanka and most from China

I will just about guarantee far more Bootleg set of the Star Wars Saga with the 'new' versions have sold than the original -- I can easily find about 10 sellers right now continuing to sell the Bootleg versions and many of these people have sold hundreds if not thousands of the Saga set for $30-35. The pretty much look at that posters feedback and assume 90% of the other items he's sold are bootlegs

Pretty much I assumed any listing with a stock picture and selling under $40-45 Brand New is a bootleg, but some make it easy " It will not play in any game console."

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Lucas made the prequels for the money. I also don't think he made them because he was particularly interested in telling those stories. I think they allowed him to play with technology in a way that would pay for itself. They're basically test footage for digital cinema, which I think is really what he was interested in.

I recall Lucas saying in an interview he was waiting for the technology to develop for the prequels...and he was raising his children.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but even more interestingly, no prequels emerged after 1983, a time when Lucas could have worked from the vantage of momentum already built up in the 'franchise' and still have relied on elements from the original cast to be reassembled, aged in reverse, and, to partake of the exercise.

Lucas bailed on additional Episodes after "ROTJ" because he was burned out on the franchise.

The Emperor was originally not gonna die until E9, but after all the work on those 3 movies from 1976-83, he didn't wanna bother with "Star Wars" anymore, so he crammed his loose plans for the Sequel Trilogy into "ROTJ"...

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Lucas bailed on additional Episodes after "ROTJ" because he was burned out on the franchise.

The Emperor was originally not gonna die until E9, but after all the work on those 3 movies from 1976-83, he didn't wanna bother with "Star Wars" anymore, so he crammed his loose plans for the Sequel Trilogy into "ROTJ"...

I think that's also why George made Leia a Skywalker. The search for Luke's twin was meant for a future movie.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think that's also why George made Leia a Skywalker. The search for Luke's twin was meant for a future movie.
I heard something similar way back in the day (might have been pre-internet-as-we-know-it, or at least pre-HTF) when some people who were involved with the films mentioned how Lucas made a bunch of changes in RoTJ to tie up "loose ends" because at the time he felt due to exhaustion, etc. that he was done with the saga. Because there's no way that one would ever create a 2 movie love triangle...and let's all just admit that is exactly what Han/Luke/Leia dynamic was, a classic tale of a princess having to choose between the knight in shining armor and the dashing scoundrel...if they knew from the beginning that they were siblings.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I heard something similar way back in the day (might have been pre-internet-as-we-know-it, or at least pre-HTF) when some people who were involved with the films mentioned how Lucas made a bunch of changes in RoTJ to tie up "loose ends" because at the time he felt due to exhaustion, etc. that he was done with the saga. Because there's no way that one would ever create a 2 movie love triangle...and let's all just admit that is exactly what Han/Luke/Leia dynamic was, a classic tale of a princess having to choose between the knight in shining armor and the dashing scoundrel...if they knew from the beginning that they were siblings.
There was an interview with Lawrence Kasdan around the time of Jedi's release - I think it might have been in Starlog - where he says that they came up with the idea of Leia being Luke's sister while working on the script, because they felt Luke needed additional motivation to to become angry enough to fight Vader at the end.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There's a lot they crammed into "ROTJ" that would've manifested in later movies if GL hadn't pulled the plug.

Woulda been interesting to see "ROTJ" as originally planned - or plannedish, as GL's intentions for future movies remained vague and I don't believe he ever sketched out the Sequel Trilogy beyond rough notes...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Anything Disney is sold as a Bootleg on Ebay -- check out any listing or sold listing from Sri Lanka and most from China

I will just about guarantee far more Bootleg set of the Star Wars Saga with the 'new' versions have sold than the original -- I can easily find about 10 sellers right now continuing to sell the Bootleg versions and many of these people have sold hundreds if not thousands of the Saga set for $30-35. The pretty much look at that posters feedback and assume 90% of the other items he's sold are bootlegs

Pretty much I assumed any listing with a stock picture and selling under $40-45 Brand New is a bootleg, but some make it easy " It will not play in any game console."

The bottom line is that these sellers are getting very rich selling illegal merchandise in very large quantities. I honestly don't know what happened to the integrity of E-Bay as bootleg copies of anything DVD, or BD on the site were as rare as Fuck. Now it is so common it is almost comical.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Not like I know but I think the most serious thought Lucas ever gave a sequel trilogy was when he knew that Disney was going to make more if he sold Star Wars to them.

I do believe GL wanted to make 9 movies back circa 1980 or so, but the combination of 7 years of stress related to the creation of the OT as well as a divorce just sapped his energy.

GL didn't go AWOL for the 15 years between "ROTJ" and "Menace", but his credits cluster around lower intensity jobs like "story by" or "executive producer" - less hands on than in the past.

But I agree that his "plans" for the PT and the ST were loose. He wants us to believe he wrote out a true master plan for the whole series before he shot a frame of "Star Wars", but that's a crock - a loose outline is the most he did, proven by the fact that Darth/Anakin wasn't picked to be a Skywalker until well into the writing process for "Empire"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks