The First Great Train Robbery - anamorphic edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I saw this listed HERE at Play.com today. The previous transfer was a fairly soft NON-anamorphic 1.85:1 affair, which didn't do full justice to Geoffrey Unsworth's gorgeous cinematography, so a new anamorphic transfer would be most appreciated.

Any thoughts - will this be a new transfer?

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Gordon, a lot of sites say the old version was anamorphic. This is now being released under budget UCA banner by Sony; it just looks like a simple re-price (and it still seems to be missing the R1 commentary), but I'd be delighted to hear otherwise.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

It is most likely a re-price (the packaging has been slightly altered) but I'd like confirmation when it is released. This film deserves a SE, I feel. Indeed, why was Crichton's commentary not featured on the region 2 edition? The last film that Geoffrey Unsworth photographed entirely on his own - he died halfway through Tess and the immensely gifted Ghislain Cloquet took over the lighting. Some of Unsworth's best work is featured here, yet he did even receive an Oscar nomination, but he was nominated for the more prestigious British Society of Cinematographers Award for Best Cinematography, but lost out to Douglas Slocombe for Julia.

It's an exilirating yarn from Crichton, with wonderful, humourous performances from Connery and Sutherland and Jerry Goldsmith's score is one of his most underrated, but he also did not receive an Oscar nomination.