The First DVD Review for Hulk Movie!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TheBat, Oct 13, 2003.

1. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  2. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

I just really did not like this movie. I understand what Ang Lee was doing and everyhting but none of it sat well with me. Nobody I saw the movie with liked it either. Don't get me wrong I'm not a comic book zealot or anything that gets angry if things don't match exactly. I thought the "hulk dogs" were worthless. I never felt like the movie flowed well. I thought the split screen the reviewer likes were more distracting than enjoyable.
    I'm passing on this one.

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the hulk movie is not for everyone.. that is for sure..
    It was my favorite movie of the summer.
    JACOB

4. Tony_Ramos

Tony_Ramos Second Unit

the movie is shot in a very surrealistic, psychedelic style that really gets you into the psyche of the movie. the lighting and editing and surrealism are more important and much better tan the actual story IMHO. the style also really fits the character, as the core of the Hulk character is about repressed feelings of rage beneath a placid surface.

this is definitely the most artistic superhero movie evermade, but sinbce it lacks a lot of action and has a flakey lead, the film is not for very many ppl. i thought that bettie and Thunderbolt were VERY well characterized, however.

case in point, the opening sequence is fabulously edited, and the individual elements are great nad based on real science experiements, but way too long. it's also about 45 minutes until you see the hulk. who would have thought that a movie about a rampaging maniac would be one of the most artsy-fartsy Hollywood movies in awhile.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I could swear DVDFile had a review of Hulk DVD posted several weeks ago (similar to how they posted a very early review of Daredevil). But now it doesn't seem to be there. Maybe it was a dream.

6. derek

derek Second Unit

BTW this linked 'DVD' review has very little substance to it regarding disc A/V details and extras leading me to personally conclude I could have written it based on the DVD pre-release details. YMMV

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Yeah, this reminds me of an overseas Web site who wrote a similar-type review about Indy - no specific details about the transfer, etc. It's something to the effect, "the transfer is great" and nothing else. I definitely question the Hulk review, as well.

8. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

THE HULK and THE MATRIX RELOADED both seemed to split audiences this past summer.

I loved HULK and pretty much hated THE MATRIX RELOADED, so I can understand the people who didn't like HULK. I just happen to be on the other side on this one.

9. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    Agreed Chris.

turns out the dvd review is from a screener.

JACOB

10. Stefan Pedersen

HULK is my favorite movie of the year so far. I loved it. I just found out that my copy shipped today. I will have it on Friday. Can´t wait.

11. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    hope you like the dvd! you getting the 2 disc set or the 3 disc boxset?

JACOB

12. Stefan Pedersen

It´s the 2 disc region 1 that is on its way to me. But I will probably buy the 3 disc region 2 aswell for the dts option and the documentary on disc 3.

13. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

How did your copy of 'The Hulk' ship already? Which site are you going through?

14. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

nothing unusual about getting dvds earlier than normal.

happens all the time

[​IMG]

So many people told me not to go and see The Hulk as they did not like it. I have read the comics and saw the TV series as well.

I was really surprised at how well Ang Lee captured the essence of the Hulk.

There are so many other fab dvds out there, that my credit card is still recovering

[​IMG]

16. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  17. Lane_S

Lane_S Agent

Technically, the movie was beautiful and Ang Lee and company did a great job. Sure, the Hulk's CGI was a little cartoony in places, but if you are going to buy into the idea of a green giant that smashes stuff, that should be the least of your concerns.

My problem with the movie was the endless exposition. Yes, in any origin movie you have to establish character and motives, but I have said since I first saw it that it would be so much better if it were shortened by 20-30 minutes to bring up the pace a bit.

Consequently - I don't see Hulk having much replay value for me, so I will be passing on this one. I do intend to rent it first week and hope to find I was just in the wrong mind set as I sat in the theater, but since the friends I saw it with and so many on-line seem to agree, I'm not holding my breath. Just so true Hulk fans can make fun of me and to prove I'm not a movie snob, I will be getting Tomb Raider II as a blind purchase since I played the games and can enjoy the first one on a "mindless entertainment" level.

For what it's worth, my favorite part of the film was the coda at the end setting up future sequels. I remember thinking "All right - here we go!" - then, of course, the credits roll. Oh well - at least they will get a theater ticket out of me for Hulk II.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I was on the fence about this, but I see it's got forced trailers so I won't be buying it. I'm sick of these 2-disc sets too!

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    My one big problem with this movie involves the final major conflict that takes place, which I strongly suspect was foisted on the filmmakers by a studio demanding more action, but I really enjoyed the majority of it.

To get more specific would involve spoilers, so I won't. I will probably pick this one up in a couple of months as a previously viewed title when I can get it for less than $10.

Regards,