What's new

The first double dipping in High Def. (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I what must be the first true double dipping done in the High Def formats, Warner Announces 'Troy: Director's Cut' for Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Isn't it a little too soon to be double dipping?:angry:

I do not count the re-releases of Universal catalog titles that were originally released as combos into non-combo releases as double-dipping.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Haha. If catalog titles sell poorly in high def, how do you think a double dip on a catalog title will do? Especially since these formats have barely been around a year.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Technically it's only double dip for HD-DVD owners. A first release for the Blu-Ray owners.

Personally I'm glad they're giving us the chance to own this extended cut on Blu/HD.

I did like Troy (flaws and all) and own the HD but I'm very interested in seeing this DC so I'll be picking this up, again. I'm hoping for another Kingdom of Heaven-like DC transformation.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
You are right, of course, for both the HD and Neutral crowd. I guess as a positive, at least the HD DVD crowd gets to own either (or both):) The BD crowd is stuck with the director's cut, like it or not.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
The choice should ahve been disk 1 or disk2 in the same package.:)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

Just yesterday I picked up this tittle on sale at BB and it's already destined to be re-released ?.:frowning:

I also picked up "superman returns" on the same sale , and then discovered around here about this tittle's inferior transfer and other 'issues'.

Not sure if I'm keeping any of this tittles now. :rolleyes

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What are the differences between theatrical and dc? I am one of the few that actually liked the film and was going to get it on Blu-Ray once it came out but with this new dc cut, I would like to add this to my collection.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Ha! I picked my copy up on Sunday :) I didn't realize until I was walking to the car, that I only save $2 more (when you figure in tax) than If I bought it from Amazon. Even less when the cost of gas is figured in.
Save for Pitt, who seemed miscast (and the silly hop the character employs to illustrate his fighting prowess) I enjoyed the flick...much more than I ever thought I would- so I think I'm just gonna take this back and wait for the extended sex & violence cut.

Alfonso, I wasn't a fan of Returns, but I've seen the HD DVD and I thought it looked excellant- very represenative of the theatrical look of the film. If someone liked the film, I can't see why the HD DVD would offend.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What the hell. This is pathetic. Thousands of films to pick from for releases and they have to re-release this one after barely a year or so. These brainiacs are trying their level best to kill both of these formats.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This has got to be some sort of record. I don't remember DVDs going into double dip mode until well over a year into its inception (I got in to the market in May 1997, since L.A. was a test city). It may have been several years before the first double dips.

Has HD-DVD even celebrated its first birthday as a consumer-available format?

Blu-ray also has a double dip of sorts with The Fifth Element, though to Sony's credit they realize that it was a poor first disc and are offering exchanges...if you know to ask for it.

Can't wait for the next-next-gen format. Maybe they'll double dip within a week of release! :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
to be fair, this is primarily a double dip for the original dvd release of the film which is now 3 yrs old.
The only dumb move was to release the theatrical cut so early in the HD DVD formats history, when they already knew this was being prepped for a release a year later.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am not sure I would place the re-release of The Fifth Element in the same category as Troy. At least Sony is releasing the reissue and, as you mentioned, offering free replacements to fix previous problems, and I give them kudo's for doing it. I think Edwin hit it on the head. This is pathetic. There was absolutely no reason to double dip this release when they have so many title they could have picked to release.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think the double dip in HD is just coincidental as the regular SD disc is the primary reason for them to double dip. If they didn't release it on HD and BR, we'd be pissed at them flaming them like crazy.

Joe_G

Second Unit

My thoughts exactly. Where the heck is Shawshank, The Green Mile, Twister, Harry Potter? Weren't some of these going to be some of the initial releases? None of these have popped up yet, along with many others and they're double-dipping on present HD titles already.

I can see if it was a techincal problem like with The Fifth Element, but this is pathetic.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Or imagine outcry and temper tantrums if they released it only on Blu (since the original cut is HD-DVD exclusive).

Cut Warner some slack for chrissakes! They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If this release doesn't appeal to you then don't buy it. Simple enough. Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I don´t see where´s the real "double dip" here - it´s going to be a totally different version of the film and I pretty much assume that the better one (like "Kingdom of Heaven"). And yes, it was only available on HD DVD.

I don´t want to start any useless debate here, but "theatrical version" of "Troy" was so mediocre, that I didn´t know whether to laugh or cry after I saw it. Talk about the mis-casting.. Millions were wasted, if "theatrical version" ends up being the "better version".. Well, I´m willing to give this film a second change, so Blu-ray - here I come. :)

(For the record, they should´ve just released "both versions" at the same time, I agree with that..)

Shaun

Second Unit
I'd say lay off Warner as well. I'm sure we'd all be complaining right now if they only announced this title for DVD only. Instead they are giving it to us on all formats. Thank you Warner! My only gripe is, now that I'm format neutral, it'll be more difficult to choose between the HD formats. I'll wait for the reviews to come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks