What's new

The first Dive-In theater? (1 Viewer)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I'm going way over into the ridiculous on this one.

I've got few spare bits and pieces laying around, and I'm thinking of putting a set of outdoor speaker up around my pool. My HT is in a room along the pool, with a HUGE sliding glass door. With a bit of effort, I could put an RP screen up in the ( 8-foot ) opening, and put together -

the world's first Dive-In Theater!

please, somebody stop me.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker

Why? Sounds cool to me.

I want pictures when you are done in our gallery. Oh, and I wouldn't get anything wet.

Parker

Adrian>G

Agent
SOUNDS AWESOME, I think that would be a great idea, but please dont go all out with a basketball hoop in the pool.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
OK, it had to be done. Or at least dreamed in greater detail. Sorry but the absolute lack of light prevented any pictures!

Last night I "borrowed" an old Kodak LCD projector and did a little testing. For a screen, I simply rolled down one of those cheesy curtains - looks like horizontal white bamboo strips. I set the projector ~26 feet away by the pool with the screen hanging in the roof overhang above the monster sliding door. The image was about 7 feet wide.

For sound, I just cranked the volume in the HT inside the big wide open doors.

For material I just had to use "Abyss." - I don't have a copy of Waterworld. I suppose I could have watched "Titanic". Or "Mutiny on the Bounty." I don't think "Dune" would have worked at all.

Well, despite mediocre sound from in a room around a corner, and despite a really lousy off-color, washed-out, dim picture with (pixel) chunks and (screen) stripes, it was a blast! I sat in a floating lounge pleased as punch with my own wit.

Now I'm thinking I need some underwater speakers, like those EV makes for swim meets and such......anchovies, anyone?

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Well, we had to watch "Nemo" in the old dive theater, out back at the cement pond. I took some pictures, and here's a link to a site with a composite image tossed together.

http://www.brevardcc.edu/planet/HT/
I can't leave this up long, so look fast!

Have fun dreaming up your own variation!

Tim Brewers

Agent
I have seen this done. The person used a white shower curtain and had the projector behind it like a rptv. Seemed to work pretty well and the projector was actually in the house I believe to keep it away from the elements.

Brew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks