1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

The first Dive-In theater?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by chuckg, Jun 13, 2005.

1. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I'm going way over into the ridiculous on this one.

I've got few spare bits and pieces laying around, and I'm thinking of putting a set of outdoor speaker up around my pool. My HT is in a room along the pool, with a HUGE sliding glass door. With a bit of effort, I could put an RP screen up in the ( 8-foot ) opening, and put together -

the world's first Dive-In Theater!

please, somebody stop me.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker

Why? Sounds cool to me.

I want pictures when you are done in our gallery. Oh, and I wouldn't get anything wet.

Parker

3. Adrian>G

Adrian>G Agent

SOUNDS AWESOME, I think that would be a great idea, but please dont go all out with a basketball hoop in the pool.

4. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

OK, it had to be done. Or at least dreamed in greater detail. Sorry but the absolute lack of light prevented any pictures!

Last night I "borrowed" an old Kodak LCD projector and did a little testing. For a screen, I simply rolled down one of those cheesy curtains - looks like horizontal white bamboo strips. I set the projector ~26 feet away by the pool with the screen hanging in the roof overhang above the monster sliding door. The image was about 7 feet wide.

For sound, I just cranked the volume in the HT inside the big wide open doors.

For material I just had to use "Abyss." - I don't have a copy of Waterworld. I suppose I could have watched "Titanic". Or "Mutiny on the Bounty." I don't think "Dune" would have worked at all.

Well, despite mediocre sound from in a room around a corner, and despite a really lousy off-color, washed-out, dim picture with (pixel) chunks and (screen) stripes, it was a blast! I sat in a floating lounge pleased as punch with my own wit.

Now I'm thinking I need some underwater speakers, like those EV makes for swim meets and such......anchovies, anyone?

5. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Well, we had to watch "Nemo" in the old dive theater, out back at the cement pond. I took some pictures, and here's a link to a site with a composite image tossed together.

http://www.brevardcc.edu/planet/HT/
    I can't leave this up long, so look fast!

Have fun dreaming up your own variation!

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Hey.. that's pretty cool. Nice job. [​IMG]

7. Tim Brewers

Tim Brewers Agent

I have seen this done. The person used a white shower curtain and had the projector behind it like a rptv. Seemed to work pretty well and the projector was actually in the house I believe to keep it away from the elements.

Brew

8. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Yes, very cool!