1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The First Avenger : Captain America May 6th, 2011

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, May 22, 2008.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

She caught my eye in a little film about four years ago caled How about you.... She has lost some weight since then, but I always thought she was a very attractive woman.

2. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Saw it last night in 2D and loved it. It's right up there with my favorite comic book movies. Loved the WWII setting. Joe Johnston really does that era well. A definite buy on Blu-ray for me.

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I saw it again this time in 3d. I found the 3d to be very good. more like cars 2, green lantern then say harry potter which was very weak. Jacob

4. Robert Crawford

Robert

I don't think you lose much seeing this film in 2-D which I'll do in my next viewing after initially viewing it in 3-D.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I enjoyed the film, but have to admit it came up a bit short with some of the potential WW2 scenes w/ Cap. Agree that Johnston does the era very well, the first hour or so was a joy to watch.

First shot of Dugan, made ma laugh. I havent seen that character in a comic book since prob the 70s and right away I knew who he was. Nice bit of nostalgia there.

Amazing CGI with Evans head on the skinny body. Its one think to do something like that briefly, but like Benjamin Button, to do it for such a prolonged period time.

I enjoyed all the performances, nothing to complain about there. Weaving Skull accent reminded me of Stephen Rea's voice.

Also suprised at how well the humor worked("Go get him, I can swim"). I enjoyed this Thor and First Class, so Marvel has had a pretty good summer.

BTW, how many others caught the original Human Torch cameo at the Worlds Fair? Made me smile.

6. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    my first time watching captain america was in 2d. my second viewing was in 3d. Jacob

7. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

I agree the first hour is pretty damn good, Evans does Rogers very well. But the evil plot and everything to do with Red Skull is just half baked. I couldn't tell you what the point of it all was. There's a part where 'Cap buys his newly formed team some drinks and you get a shot of a small skinny bartender, I wondered if that was 'Skinny Rogers' body actor?

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Saw the movie tonight with my son and nephew. We all enjoyed it. Did anyone else catch the Raiders of the Lost Ark reference? When Red Skull was looking for the artifact in Norway...he makes a comment about Hitler looking for trinkets in Africa.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I thought it was great. The criticism of Evans is unfounded - he and the writers got the character right. At times it reminded me of the Rocketeer, but this exceeded that I think. Really good cast. I enjoyed Weaving (although his Red Skull look might have been a tad too plastic), Atwell (so good in Pillars of the Earth), Tucci, Stan, and McDonough. Only Tommy Lee Jones seemed to be too much of a familiar face for the movie. I like how these movies link with one another without hitting you over the head - like the cube being in Norway (links to Thor), and Howard Stark being involved (links to Iron Man). Was there also a link to the Incredible Hulk in Tucci's character?

Anyway, probably my favorite of the Marvel Studios movies so far.

10. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    I think they made a reference to the Super Soldier Serum in Hulk, maybe?

Anyway, this was fantastic. At least as good as Iron Man, if not more so.

11. Karl Pozorski

Karl Pozorski
    I did catch the reference to Raiders as well. I can't remember the exact line. The Red Skull said something along the lines of why is Hitler wasting his time digging up trinkets in the desert when the power of the gods was right here. The Super Soldier Serum was in the last Hulk movie. Blonski used it along with the Gamma rays to turn himself into the Abomination.

12. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I love Captain America. More accurately, inasmuch as I am being honest with myself, I love the IDEA of Captain America. He represents a confluence of geek interests (superheroes/power to morals, etc) with my passionate actual interests (patriotism, service, depression/greatest generation Americana) and so I invest in the character more than is actually there on the page. I've read a decent number of Cap comics, but I wouldn't put any Cap stories near the top of the pile. I loved 65% of what Millar and Hitch did with him in Ultimates and Ultimates II, but I hated the other 35% with a passion. The Brubaker run was good, but I drifted away a few years ago. So, as much as I love Steve Rogers, I love the canvas of Captain America more. The potential for storytelling. I know the man out of time stuff is coming with The Avengers and hopefully, Cap 2. I rarely "backseat screenwrite or direct", but in truth, I had my own ideas of what I wanted a Captain America film to look like. Hopefully that makes sense. I figured I should show my cards before I reviewed the film. I liked the movie. I probably had unrealistic expectations and high standards, and that makes it hard to just review the film. It really does get a ton right. I just don't think it ever finds the top gear I was hoping it would. I think it is competently directed, with a well-written first act, and very likeable actors. I was (and am) totally onboard with Chris Evans. TLJ and Tucci were exceptional counter-balances to his character. More was needed with the Howling Commandoes to make them effective. Weaving was awesome, as expected. I really enjoyed his Red Skull, and I hope we see more of him in the future. Atwell was quite good, but I wish she had a bit more. Just a bit. The single critical element I felt was missing wasn't really missing...it just felt half-formed. The impact of Captain America's real war exploits on the actual war (as opposed to the shadow war against Hydra) and the homefront. Marvel was smart to focus on a fictional element of the war, but a single engagement with U.S. soldiers against Nazi soldiers would have gone a long way (for me). They did add some homefront at the very end (which I though was a very good ending and transition). I just didn't feel he was as big as he should be at the end of WWII as he should have been. But I do recognize it was there...I maybe just wanted it illustrated a bit differently. I also wish a bit more attention had been given to his abilities earlier. His tactical acumen, his superhuman fighting skill, and his seemingly effortless leadership. One slobberknocker fight a little sooner than the final battle was missing. I did like that the fights were "western" in nature. The connective tissue of the montage warehouse fights didn't convey time very effectively either. That contributed to my feelings that his reputation wasn't quite as formed as it should have been at his frozen end. But I am thrilled that many people liked it more than me. I'm definitely seeing it one more time with my family, and away from preconceptions, to let it settle. I think it got the tone VERY right. Can't wait to see the dynamic in the Avengers film. Sorry for the rambling review. Cap is dear to me!

13. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Saw Capt. America yesterday and I have to say it was my favorite film of the summer and by a pretty wide margin. I enjoyed the other two Marvel offerings, Thor and X-Men First Class, but I thought Cap was the best of the bunch. I can't even imagine how cool The Avengers is going to be....I predict a nationwide "nerdgasm" when that flick comes out!

14. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I saw it yesterday as well. I also liked it a bit more than First Class, and a lot more than Thor. The Captain America USO tour & song scene was funny as hell!

15. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I saw this movie yesterday and thought it was pretty boring and lifeless. There wasn't anything here that I really enjoyed.

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason

It is something that bugs my wife as well. We haven't gotten around to seeing it (Maybe on Friday), but the trend of Marvel to delete Nazis from the continuity bothers her. They did a similar thing in the Avengers animated series, where Cap is fighting against Hydra, not the Nazis.

17. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    I liked it as a whole but it suffers from the same problem Thor did; no showing of his actual powers and just assuming everyone knows all about him. I really think the whole USO section should have been tossed in favor of him training with his squad and finding the limits of his enhanced body. Just because he was suddenly muscular doesn't mean he can instantly fight and jump and all the other things he did chasing down the Doctor's killer. That takes training. Plus why was he chosen as Captain America? That role would be for an actual war hero or a famous actor. It would have made more sense if the director wanted to do the USO tour to have Rogers save those soldiers and then sent home for war bonds before realizing they needed him for Hydra. At the end of the movie I really don't see Steve Rogers as anything special other than theoretically a highly trained fighter on the order of Batman. He is above the ordinary but not a super-soldier. At least the movie did not really show this well and just assumed we took it on faith after the few fist fights that show he has a little something special and mentioning he can't get drunk. With so little shown the filmmakers can just make up powers as needed if they write themselves into a corner or want to show something cool.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert

It showed a man could be a sleep and supposedly frozen for almost 70 years without aging which is pretty special to me.

19. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    That was just a plot contrivance to get Steve Rogers to current time for The Avengers movie and it was the same trick used in the last live-action Captain America movie plus countless cartoon versions. No different than Jack Bauer being able to have a heart attack, get shot, get in a major car accident and then continue on as if nothing had happened. Standard hero never dies or is injured for more than a minute type of stuff. You do realize that Hollywood cryogenic freezing prevents aging in normal humans like in Demolition Man, The Space Seed, Futurama, and every other movie version of someone being frozen in a tube or in the ice?

20. Robert Crawford

Robert

I see a big diffference, but whatever.