What's new

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hmmm I still want to see it, 2D or 3D doesn't matter.

Variety didn't like it much, here's an excerpt -

Red, white and bland, "Captain America: The First Avenger" plays like a by-the-numbers prequel for Marvel Studios' forthcoming "The Avengers" movie, the proper teaser for which lies buried after the words "Captain America will return" in the end credits. Where that 2012 tentpole will lump Cap in with Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and various other superheroes, this one focuses on constructing a blockbuster origin story for one of Marvel's most iconic creations. Although Joe Johnston earnestly attempts to resurrect the WWII-era action figure, with 3D conversion boosting the glossy pic's B.O. potential, his debut adventure comes across as remarkably flat.

Screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (veterans of the "Chronicles of Narnia" series) do a nice job of making Rogers a relatable Everyman, only to transform him into a one-dimensionally dull meathead -- one who looks alarmingly similar to Hitler's Aryan ideal as he emerges, bare-chested and gleaming, from a chamber designed by none other than Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper, playing the father of future "Iron Man" character Tony Stark in a bit of cross-franchise plot synergy) As Marvel heroes go, Captain America must be the most vanilla of the lot. He lacks the inner turmoil that DC Comics' Batman brought to the genre, and while not exactly invincible (a minor injury sustained during his first action scene suggests that he bleeds like the next guy), he's quick to heal and a bit too handy with a shield. It's refreshing to see someone slug it out the way a '40s tough guy would, absent the Hong Kong-style choreography of most modern-day fight scenes, yet there's never the slightest concern that the Nazis might get the better of him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think the critical reviews will split on whether you can get behind an honest, patriotic, unconflicted protagonist who earnestly wants to serve his country. He's almost the opposite of the dark, tortured heroes we've gotten so far -- and about as sincere as Tony Stark is impish. The lack of irony will probably turn off a lot of critics.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
At best I think this movie will be on par with Thor. Which is a good thing because I enjoyed Thor for what it was. It might even do a little better. Judging by the positive reviews I think it's headed in this direction. At the very least it has to be much better than Green Latern.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
EW's review is also up:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20483538,00.html

They seemed to like it more than the others, but just slightly.

More than that, I wish the dialogue had a higher dose of wit. Chris Evans, best known up until now as the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films, is an appealing actor, but his Captain America could have used a bit of deadpan hipness. He's so straight he's like a Boy Scout on steroids. Then again, that's the appeal of a movie that takes you back to a time when America didn't have to be remotely ironic about believing in itself.

This line in the review, which seemed to echo what other critics are saying, suggests that the movie gets the character true to the source material.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
but his Captain America could have used a bit of deadpan hipness. He's so straight he's like a Boy Scout on steroids.
Sounds like Evans nailed the character. A deadpan hip Captain America would not be Captain America.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jerry Almeida

Hopefully they capitalize on this in the Avengers movie. The two characters should play off each other well.

Especially since Captain America knew Tony's Dad.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Roger Ebert sounds delighted, putting it in the same league as the original Iron Man... http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110720/REVIEWS/110729997 Exactly the kind of review I was hoping to read for the film. Have had a good feeling about this one ever since Johnston came onboard. Those complaining it isn't "hip" enough obviously don't get the intentional retro spirit.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Those reviews sound promising. It sounds like maybe the filmmakers didn't engage in revisionist crap.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Steve Christou said:
Variety didn't like it much, here's an excerpt - 'He lacks the inner turmoil that DC Comics' Batman brought to the genre...'
Good. Brooding works fine for Batman but it would be severely misplaced in a Captain America movie.
This is one reason I do not take non-comic fan reviews seriously. Not every hero has to be a brooding...psychological mess. Cap is like Superman. He is a boy scout. He does good...because he wants to...not because of revenge or to satisfy some psychological need.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw the film today and thought it was pretty good. The actor playing Howard Stark looks similar to Robert Downey, who of course, plays Tony Stark.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw it last night in 2d. it was packed. the audience was really into it. alot of people stayed for the after credit surprise. my only problem was that the sound in the theatre sucked. it was too low for my taste. Jacob

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Only one theater in my area playing it in 2D and its the galleria Hate going there.

Its in 3D everywhere.

Will try first showing tomorrow morning.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Saw it today with my kids. Not only a great Marvel film, but a great film. It was solid. Great cast, action -- a fun flick. I am now full-on in love with Haley Atwell. *****/*****

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks