The final decision: Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Brian, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Adam_Brian

Adam_Brian Auditioning

Some time back, I had asked for some help/opinions on these boards as to which receiver/speakers to get - thanks to everyone who gave me feedback! Ultimately, I decided upon (and just purchased) the following setup:
    TV: 51" Sony KP-51WS500 16:9
    Receiver: Sony ES STR-DA2ES
    Speakers:
    Front: JBL S26II
    Surround: JBL S26II
    Front Center: JBL S-Center II
    Rear Center: JBL S-Center II
    The final decision I need to make is on a Subwoofer. I've been considering one or two by JBL (to stick with 100% JBL on the speakers)... but I've also been considering SVS (as many folks on this board really seem to vouch for them).
    One consideration I have is the room - it's about 14' x 14' and unfortunately, I have someone living beneath me. I'd really like to make sure I have sufficient bass, but at the same time, I don't want to shake the paint off the walls (or off my downstairs neighbor's ceiling!).
    Can anyone assist me by suggesting a sub that would jive well with the speaker/receiver setup I've got, yet not be so overpowering that I'm going to have my neighbor banging on her ceiling with a broomstick? Also, are there certain things I can do to minimize the impact my system will have on my neighbor? I'd like to do everything I can do to keep the sound upstairs, where it belongs.
    Thanks much!
    Adam

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Adam,

I think you will have a very very good setup, I have also Fous S26 and one Scenter, paird with an SVS 25-31 PCi.

I think my SVS was the best investment that I have ever made. Its the best sub I have ever heard, at least in my budget. But this will really rock a 14'x14'. Now you can adjust the loudness or volume in the back of the sub, until your neighboors can tolarate it.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

You can't have it both ways. The sub either shakes the room and leaks into the adjacent spaces or it's weak and it doesn't.

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I have heard louder and cheaper subs than my SVS 25-31 PCi, but what impresses me most is the clear sound, without the bomminess. I think the sound isnt so loud but it is richer and more filling than any sub that I heard, even at low volume it does fill my room.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree! The SVS does a great job at low volumes without sounding "boomy" (and annoying neighbors). As Pablo states it is simply "richer and fuller". That said I think an SVS could be a way to get good bass without really annoying your neighbors.

Now one thing I must say though. The SVS does go alot lower and louder than my old sub (an Energy S10.2) and, when asked to, can DEFINITITELY shake the heck out of your apartment. So be careful with the volume or your downstairs neighbor will not only hit the ceiling with the broom but shove the broom sticks through your floor!

Matthew

6. Adam_Brian

Adam_Brian Auditioning

Hahaha... thanks for the responses...
    I'm actually now looking into means of semi-sound-proofing that room. I definitely won't be able to go with a full-blown sound-proofing, but I might be able to put some stuff down on the floor which could dampen the noise and absorb some of the vibrations going downward. I've checked out a couple of sites (www.soundproofproducts.com and www.soundsuckers.com are two of the sites I've looked at) and have sent e-mails asking them for suggestions.
    I'm very seriously leaning toward the SVS 25-31PCi (I was partial to it to begin with, but was concerned with "overpowering" my JBL's and/or blowing up my room - I really wasn't quite sure how powerful the SVS is). Based on what I'm hearing here though, it sounds like it could be an ideal choice.
    I'm going to keep my eyes open though, and am going to give the soundproofing guys a little time to get back to me. If anyone here has done any kind of sound proofing and has any suggestions, I'd love to hear about it!
    Thanks again guys,
    Adam