What's new

The films of Akira Kurosawa (1 Viewer)

Richard Waller

Second Unit
BFI has released Throne of Blood on DVD in the UK. Next month, Stray Dog is due to be released. I don't know how the quality is, but these might be viable options for those who can't wait for a Criterion release and have region-free capability.

Thanks Richard,
Region free I could afford, PAL conversion is another matter. (or is it?)
Criterion, give me Throne of Blood, the best adaptation of Macbeth I've ever seen!

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator
RusCiCo stands for the Russian Cinema Council; here 's their official website. They've put out some pretty darn good DVDs lately.
Yeah! I believe Artifical Eye (UK) licences RusCiCo transfers for UK release. The BFI Kurosawa's are sadly lacking. :frowning:

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
BFI kurosawa's are lacking? that sucks..

if anyone can let us know wen the dersu anamorphic version comes out, and where i can get it, please do so...

I wish criterion would give high and low an anamorphic transfer in it's proper aspect ratio....it's my fav of kurosawa's works.

i can't wait for dodesukaden either.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I have the BFI version of Throne Of Blood and I had BFI's Seven Samurai and I think the quality of these two DVD's are quiet good, especially Seven Samurai.
Throne Of Blood is single-layered and has burnt-in subtitles, but the video quality is acceptable.
I sold Seven Samurai because I wanted the Criterion version, but to the best of my recollection the video quality of the BFI version was just as good, maybe even better. The BFI version doesn't have the long credits and the intermission that the Criterion version has though (I guess the DVD was mastered from an international print). This and the PAL speed-up accounts for the shorter running time of the BFI version.
I heard some bad things about their Yojimbo DVD though. I don't like the Criterion release (the subtitles are placed too low for a 2.35:1 non-anamorphic movie - almost unwatchable on a 16:9 TV), but apparantly the BFI version, which does have a commantary by Philip Kemp, is worse than a VHS tape.
The BFI's fortcoming release of The Hidden Fortress is interesting. It has an interview with George Lucas on Kurosawa & The Hidden Fortress and an anamorphic transfer. Maybe they licenced it from Criterion?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Mark, the BFI release of The Hidden Fortress does sound like the Criterion version.

I'm still wondering when Ruscico will finally release Dersu Uzala. And whatever time we have another Fox chat, we need to bring up Kagemusha to their attention.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The TOHO cut of KAGEMUSHA is 20 mins longer than FOXs'.

It came out in Japan on LD in a very beautiful 2 disc box set. The transfer was gorgeous. With no English subs or dubbing, it was still a wonderfull film to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks